CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   77' has no electrical power ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4200914-77-has-no-electrical-power.html)

77vette05 10-13-2018 06:46 PM

77' has no electrical power ?

i posted this in the general section by mistake. I parked it about two weeks ago with everything working. Put it on the tender. now it has no power at all. the battery reads 12.65. I have no power at any fuse, or the alternator. I put a ground from the frame to the block. I wiggled the wires on the fire wall to the fuse panel. I tried to put it into other gears, it is an auto. Any other tips or advice before i start digging further into it. I did replace the ignition in the column about 6 years ago. Thanks for any advice.

HeadsU.P. 10-13-2018 07:42 PM

I still would blame the GRD, or lack of. You said you jumped a wire from frame to block to no avail. Likely, you jumped a wire from a filthy, oily block to a rusty, painted frame to no avail.
99.9% of C3 electrical issues are the grounds, or lack of. Should be two GRD cables. One at the battery box of course and one near the starter, block to frame with excellent clean shiny contact points.

Do you have lights?

marc9889 10-16-2018 04:48 PM

I had the same thing happen with a relatively new AGM battery. The car sat for a few weeks on a tender, then one day I got in, turned the key, and nothing. Not a click, not a buzz, ..nothing. I put a volt meter on the battery and it showed right at 12v. I eventually pulled the battery and took it to Advance Auto Parts (where I bought it) and the battery was bad. Not sure how it shows 12v and is still bad, but that's what they said, and they gave me a brand new one. I put in the new one in the car and haven't had an issue since. Let us know how it works out.

77vette05 10-18-2018 06:53 PM

I'll check the grounds. I have no headlights. I'll bring the battery to autozone have them test it. ill let you guys know what or if any results. Thanks

TimAT 10-18-2018 09:52 PM

Starter Extension Harness.

Greengear 10-20-2018 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by TimAT (Post 1598184811)
Starter Extension Harness.

there are fusible links by the starter. I guess a blown fusible link would kill all power. I would test for power at the starter as all power to the car originates there.
The fusible links look like little black rubber sleeves about 3 inches away from starter.

bfit 10-20-2018 06:49 AM

Mate get yourself a 12v lead light with alligator clips to connect to the battery.
When you connect it at the battery, do you get a bright dull or no light.
if you get a bright or even a dull light , try to start the engine and watch what the light does .
let us know
bfit

grumpy73 10-20-2018 09:04 AM

Had the same thing happen twice and it was the battery. The cheap tender toasted two batteries. So much for buying cheap tools.