CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Moron Dealership Dented Fiberglass Rocker Panel (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4201162-moron-dealership-dented-fiberglass-rocker-panel.html)

B1RDLAW_Z06 10-14-2018 01:49 PM

Moron Dealership Dented Fiberglass Rocker Panel

Took my car to a dealership service center I thought I could trust (I know, I know). I had read a lot about improper lifting procedures used by shops, so the morning before I took it over I crawled underneath and inspected the underside of the rocker panels in excruciating detail to make sure there was no damage. Only saw a few hairline scratches far on the underside that were there when I bought the car.

When I got to the dealership, I had a long talk with the service manager about proper lifting procedures - using pucks, setting the machine lower before swinging the arms under, etc. Expressed how this car is pristine and if he could vouch that the guys would take good care of it. He says his guys are well aware of how to properly lift a Z06 and that it would be no issue.

I get the car back, and it turns out some cave dwelling moron swung the lift arm under my car without even so much as bending over to make sure it would clear:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4b453846ab.jpg

It's maybe the size of a dime if that, and it's 90-95% on the underside of the panel with only a tiny fraction on the side.

In the face of my angry rant, the service manager immediately accepted responsibility and indicated that the bodyshop on premises would take care of it.

My issue is.......I don't want to end up with some sort of paint work that's not as good as the factory, just to fix this little blemish. What would be the best option for having this repaired with minimal paintwork, etc? I'm not even considering having them blend other panels or anything like that.

joshz06 10-14-2018 02:17 PM

I have the same mark on mine.

saplumr 10-14-2018 02:23 PM

Let them fix it. Disappointing but shouldn’t be a big deal.

Vet Interested 10-14-2018 04:29 PM

Who is the dealer? Lets give credit where credit is due.

bartsky 10-14-2018 04:36 PM

I have cars shipped often and they sometimes damage the rocker panels. Right body and paint shop and you will never know the difference.

Mcrider 10-14-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06 (Post 1598157969)
Took my car to a dealership service center I thought I could trust (I know, I know). I had read a lot about improper lifting procedures used by shops, so the morning before I took it over I crawled underneath and inspected the underside of the rocker panels in excruciating detail to make sure there was no damage. Only saw a few hairline scratches far on the underside that were there when I bought the car.

When I got to the dealership, I had a long talk with the service manager about proper lifting procedures - using pucks, setting the machine lower before swinging the arms under, etc. Expressed how this car is pristine and if he could vouch that the guys would take good care of it. He says his guys are well aware of how to properly lift a Z06 and that it would be no issue.

I get the car back, and it turns out some cave dwelling moron swung the lift arm under my car without even so much as bending over to make sure it would clear:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4b453846ab.jpg

It's maybe the size of a dime if that, and it's 90-95% on the underside of the panel with only a tiny fraction on the side.

Honestly, it's a CAR and things happen to cars. It's 95% on the underside and you are whining about getting it fixed right?

I am seeing an ever increasing number of posts from "new" members bitching about the most inane little things and I am beginning to think these are just trolls who come here to see who they can wind up, and there are an unlimited number of people here who can get wound up over shit like this.

If this isn't a troll thread, then you should immediately sell your vette and get another car because things are going to happen to it and you are going to have to go into therapy to deal with those instances.

BlindSpot 10-14-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06 (Post 1598157969)
Took my car to a dealership service center I thought I could trust.

I took my Hen to a Fox I thought I could trust........

owc6 10-14-2018 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlindSpot (Post 1598158708)
I took my Hen to a Fox I thought I could trust........

::lol:

B1RDLAW_Z06 10-14-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mcrider (Post 1598158696)
Honestly, it's a CAR and things happen to cars. It's 95% on the underside and you are whining about getting it fixed right?

I am seeing an ever increasing number of posts from "new" members bitching about the most inane little things and I am beginning to think these are just trolls who come here to see who they can wind up, and there are an unlimited number of people here who can get wound up over shit like this.

If this isn't a troll thread, then you should immediately sell your vette and get another car because things are going to happen to it and you are going to have to go into therapy to deal with those instances.

.....is this a joke? They damaged my car after I specifically told them how to avoid such damage, and then tried to play it off by returning the car to me and hoping I wouldn't notice. This would maybe be one thing if I had unavoidably run over a piece of debris while on the highway; but that is obviously not the case. In fact, about two weeks ago exactly that happened with a section of a truck tire and it put a nice little scratch in the front fascia. But I polished it mostly out and moved on with my life. That sort of stuff happens when you daily a car. This damage from the dealership is much more significant than that.

Maybe you don't care when someone damages your car, but when I hand my keys to somebody I trust that they won't be reckless with my something that I paid hard-earned money for and put effort into keeping in a nice condition. This is damage that was avoidable, and only occurred due to (arguably) extreme carelessness in slamming a lift arm at great speed into the fiberglass.

Furthermore, suppose I want to sell the car down the road, and I disclose this damage and it causes the car to be worth less? Now that's money out of MY pocket. Again, maybe that's something YOU don't care about, but I guess in that case money just might be infinite for you. Congrats on doing so well.

Maybe you consider this to be "inane" damage. There are certainly spots on my car that I would classify as such. The damage shown in the picture I posted does NOT fall into that category.

Mcrider 10-14-2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06 (Post 1598158856)
.....is this a joke? They damaged my car after I specifically told them how to avoid such damage, and then tried to play it off by returning the car to me and hoping I wouldn't notice. This would maybe be one thing if I had unavoidably run over a piece of debris while on the highway; but that is obviously not the case. In fact, about two weeks ago exactly that happened with a section of a truck tire and it put a nice little scratch in the front fascia. But I polished it mostly out and moved on with my life. That sort of stuff happens when you daily a car. This damage from the dealership is much more significant than that.

Maybe you don't care when someone damages your car, but when I hand my keys to somebody I trust that they won't be reckless with my something that I paid hard-earned money for and put effort into keeping in a nice condition. This is damage that was avoidable, and only occurred due to (arguably) extreme carelessness in slamming a lift arm at great speed into the fiberglass.

Furthermore, suppose I want to sell the car down the road, and I disclose this damage and it causes the car to be worth less? Now that's money out of MY pocket. Again, maybe that's something YOU don't care about, but I guess in that case money just might be infinite for you. Congrats on doing so well.

Maybe you consider this to be "inane" damage. There are certainly spots on my car that I would classify as such. The damage shown in the picture I posted does NOT fall into that category.

"due to (arguably) extreme carelessness in slamming a lift arm at great speed into the fiberglass."

Damned drama queens....

Quit your sniveling and "move on with your life".

Some car guys are such whiners.

saplumr 10-14-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mcrider (Post 1598158878)
"due to (arguably) extreme carelessness in slamming a lift arm at great speed into the fiberglass."

Damned drama queens....

Might be me but I think you’re being unnecessarily harsh. You’re new here also.

Mcrider 10-14-2018 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1598158942)

Might be me but I think you’re being unnecessarily harsh. You’re new here also.

New compared to who? You?

e've got 45 years building Harley's and I can promise you that in all those years I haven't heard 1/100th the whining about minimal shit like I 've heard here in the last 6 months.

The biggest difference is HD people actually RIDE their bikes. Seems like an awful lot of people with vettes just wax them, and complain.

B1RDLAW_Z06 10-14-2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mcrider (Post 1598158878)

Damned drama queens....

I’ve been on many car forums over the past 15 years and one thing I’ve noticed is that there’s always one person who has to come into a thread and throw a tantrum and be argumentative even though they have nothing to contribute. The fact that we have a disagreement over what is an acceptable level of damage notwithstanding, congrats on being that person. You’re incapable of even making your argument without calling people names and just disrupting everything in general. Not sue why you’re even here but maybe it’s you who should move on with your life because I am just baffled as to why you’re on this forum in the first place. Maybe take your petulance to a Harley-Davidson forum instead, tough guy. Thanks and have a nice day.

saplumr 10-14-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mcrider (Post 1598159012)
New compared to who? You?

e've got 45 years building Harley's and I can promise you that in all those years I haven't heard 1/100th the whining about minimal shit like I 've heard here in the last 6 months.

The biggest difference is HD people actually RIDE their bikes. Seems like an awful lot of people with vettes just wax them, and complain.

There is a typical Corvette stereotype but It doesn’t apply to all. If that’s the way we al think we could also think that all motorcycle riders are thugs but we know that’s nowhere near the truth

R&L's C6 10-14-2018 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06 (Post 1598159021)

I’ve been on many car forums over the past 15 years and one thing I’ve noticed is that there’s always one person who has to come into a thread and throw a tantrum and be argumentative even though they have nothing to contribute. The fact that we have a disagreement over what is an acceptable level of damage notwithstanding, congrats on being that person. You’re incapable of even making your argument without calling people names and just disrupting everything in general. Not sue why you’re even here but maybe it’s you who should move on with your life because I am just baffled as to why you’re on this forum in the first place. Maybe take your petulance to a Harley-Davidson forum instead, tough guy. Thanks and have a nice day.

Easier to just ignore some folks and not respond.... harleyboi is one of them. :cheers:

449er 10-14-2018 06:22 PM

Its a small chip on the bottom of the rocker panel? You are more anal than I am, & that's saying something, Let the dealership fix it & move on

B1RDLAW_Z06 10-14-2018 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 449er (Post 1598159127)
Its a small chip on the bottom of the rocker panel? You are more anal than I am, & that's saying something, Let the dealership fix it & move on

This actually makes me feel a lot better. The more I think about, the more I’d rather just use a touch up/spot paint fix and buff out the result. I don’t think I want them repainting the panels at all

wayback 10-14-2018 06:28 PM

I wouldn't dare look at the bottom of my rockers at 207,600 miles. But who else could see it? Get it fixed and don't worry about it.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c35ddfacde.jpg
I try to keep it looking good also.

grady 10-14-2018 06:36 PM

I had the same happen to my ‘98 C5. Dealership punctured the underside of the rocker. Didn’t notice until I got home. Looked like a moth stuck to the bottom but it was fiber. Dealer fixed it without issue and not noticeable but they should have immediately acknowledged it.

Dealerships that sell theses cars should know that Corvettes are not just cars and go out of their way to be a bit gentle but I do understand that they are fixing Cruzes as well. Find a local high end specialty shop. I’m glad I have one.

BlindSpot 10-14-2018 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by grady (Post 1598159204)
I had the same happen to my ‘98 C5. Dealership punctured the underside of the rocker. Didn’t notice until I got home. Looked like a moth stuck to the bottom but it was fiber. Dealer fixed it without issue and not noticeable but they should have immediately acknowledged it.

Dealerships that sell theses cars should know that Corvettes are not just cars and go out of their way to be a bit gentle but I do understand that they are fixing Cruzes as well. Find a local high end specialty shop. I’m glad I have one.

Having worked in a Chevy dealership when I was very young and not smart enough to go back to school yet (and I'm 105 now), the techs I knew (and trained me) hated to work on Corvettes. This was universal, no exceptions where I worked. They'd much rather work on a simple 4 cyl cruz (or a nice, easy to work on 6 cyl Chevy II in those days) than a V8 Corvette where everything is impossible to get to (and Corvette owners were {and are} all parsnickety anyway). The Chevy II owner very seldom gave a $hit, and just wanted the car to get from A to B without leaving them stranded.

Chevys are all "product" to a Chevy tech, even Corvettes. They come in, punch a clock, go to work and punch back out at the end of the day. It is extremely RARE to find a dealership tech in love with Corvettes. In the rare instances when that happens, usually that tech owns a Vette too. But, even they will burn out eventually. I couldn't stand what I saw (and was being trained to do), so I went back to school; otherwise, I might still be there as I love working on cars to this day.

It's a simple concept that even water knows...path of least resistance........