CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Unexpected high revs when downshifting (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4201270-unexpected-high-revs-when-downshifting.html)

SuperdadZ06 10-14-2018 08:17 PM

Unexpected high revs when downshifting

I have a 19 Z06, M7 with 960 miles on it. On two separate occasions about two weeks apart when I went to downshift the engine starting revving without my foot on the pedal. Has anyone else experienced this and can you offer advice?

64drvr 10-14-2018 08:21 PM

It sounds like you have Active Rev Match on, which is activated/deactivated via the steering wheel paddles.

Z0HS1CK 10-14-2018 08:23 PM

Definitely sounds like rev match to me.

Btw what year is the car?

saleen556 10-14-2018 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by lrobe22 (Post 1598159686)
It sounds like you have Active Rev Match on, which is activated/deactivated via the steering wheel paddles.

This. It’s an awesome feature 👍🏻

SuperdadZ06 10-14-2018 10:21 PM

2019 you may be right, how do I turn it off?

SuperdadZ06 10-14-2018 10:22 PM

Also can you disable it to prevent accidental use?

gymdoc 10-14-2018 10:31 PM

turns on and off by pulling on either of the fake pedal shifts behind your steering wheel. The pedals say "rev match" on them.

SuperdadZ06 10-14-2018 10:35 PM

That makes sense I think i may have accidentally hit the on paddle, still dont understand why it would rev so high when downshifting to 2nd or 1st. Wish i could disable.

MSG C5 10-14-2018 10:52 PM

You know if Active Rev Match is on if the gear number is illuminated in Amber. If it's off, the gear number is illuminated in White. This is on both your HUD and your gauge cluster.

It also automatically resets to "off" every time you turn off the car, so you need to actively engage it for it to work by clicking either of the steering wheel paddles. I guess the reasoning GM placed the Active Rev Match paddles on the steering wheel vs. a traditional shifter button was to save costs in production by mimicking the A8 paddle shifters.

fumbling 10-14-2018 10:56 PM

That throttle blip is awesome, doesn't hurt a thing.

RegnaR 10-14-2018 11:18 PM

I turn it on every time i drive the car

Mr. Gizmo 10-14-2018 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06 (Post 1598160272)
That makes sense I think i may have accidentally hit the on paddle, still dont understand why it would rev so high when downshifting to 2nd or 1st. Wish i could disable.

its a great feature of the manual 7 speed transmission. Those paddles on the automatic are used to shift the a8 in manual mode.

For the m7 the rev match feature on downshifts probAbly lessens the stress on the drive train by providing optimal revs on downshifts that won’t shock the drive train.

Bill Dearborn 10-15-2018 01:06 AM

It revs the engine to match the engine speed with the transmission input shaft speed when you let the clutch out. That avoids having mismatched speeds and either causing the rear tires to slide due to the engine speed being too slow or to suddenly push the car forward while braking as you let out the clutch because the engine speed is too high.

When you activate it you don't need to do heel/toe downshifting anymore. The car does it for you. It isn't dangerous and can prevent damage to the car.

Bill

Savoy2001 10-15-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by RegnaR (Post 1598160423)
I turn it on every time i drive the car

Same here. I don't like driving with it off anymore. The shifts seem so much smoother with it on if that makes sense? Oh and that bark! That bark on the down shift is just awesome.

BELVIN20 10-15-2018 09:18 AM

I wish Rev Match would be on at car start up, but since I have had my Z for over 2 years, it is now automatic for me to turn it on as soon as I start the car, love the feature.

fumbling 10-15-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Savoy2001 (Post 1598161166)

Same here. I don't like driving with it off anymore. The shifts seem so much smoother with it on if that makes sense? Oh and that bark! That bark on the down shift is just awesome.

Before I got my C7 I thought I'd never use revmatch as I thought that was a gimmick since I knew how to drive stick for many years, but now I turn it on every time because instead of having to concentrate on a smooth shift, it makes the shifts effortlessly smooth, and that throttle blip/bark when slowing down is fantastic whenever it happens.

Road machine 10-15-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06 (Post 1598159664)
I have a 19 Z06, M7 with 960 miles on it. On two separate occasions about two weeks apart when I went to downshift the engine starting revving without my foot on the pedal. Has anyone else experienced this and can you offer advice?

Didn't you read your owners manual??? I knew about the rev matching and I have an automatic....you know why....because I read the manual. Seriously how can you own a car like this and not read the manual first thing??? Did you know you have a 500 mile break in and then need to change the oil. There is some very important information in that little book, and if you don't read it you may be screwing up a great car.

Savoy2001 10-16-2018 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by fumbling (Post 1598162628)
Before I got my C7 I thought I'd never use revmatch as I thought that was a gimmick since I knew how to drive stick for many years, but now I turn it on every time because instead of having to concentrate on a smooth shift, it makes the shifts effortlessly smooth, and that throttle blip/bark when slowing down is fantastic whenever it happens.

This is exactly my feeling. The shifts are effortless and smooth every time. Makes me look like an expert lol and in hardly an expert! My wife and I Love the bark especially since I always rub the exhaust in track mode those down shifts are entoxicating. Just can't get enough. When slowing down coming to a reduced light that bark gets people's attention and they usually look over at the car is pretty funny. I dig it.

AORoads 10-16-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Road machine (Post 1598163482)
Didn't you read your owners manual??? I knew about the rev matching and I have an automatic....you know why....because I read the manual. Seriously how can you own a car like this and not read the manual first thing??? Did you know you have a 500 mile break in and then need to change the oil. There is some very important information in that little book, and if you don't read it you may be screwing up a great car.

I hear you. But generally, people are still going from "instinct" and today's cars can't be always driven by instinct nor are they instinct-driven (play on words :D). The infotainment, performance mode, gauge display, etc. are all examples of spending hours figuring it out, or minutes by reading the manual. It's like a smart phone, as they continue to "improve"- you can guess at a lot and get some of it right. But as the phone gets more packed with stuff-you can't figure it out by going on instinct. Think about the "locking feature" on the iphones if you try too many times to unlock it.

The alternative frequently taken isn't to read when an issue comes up; it's to google a remedy, watch a youtube vid, read someone else's problem matching yours, or come on a forum.

ZR1Bob 10-16-2018 10:27 AM

The A8 also has a rev match feature--it automatically blips the throttle on down shifts. Interestingly, as on your M7 the biggest A8 throttle blip occurs on the third to second downshift. Must be a bigger drop in gear ratio than the other shifts. --Bob