CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Why did you buy your Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4202107-why-did-you-buy-your-corvette.html)

C5wilts 10-16-2018 10:18 AM

Why did you buy your Corvette

The corvette has always been my dream car. Nothing says American sports car like a corvette the looks the sound the prestige of owning one of the most thrilling cars to ever be built in the USA. That brings me to my question of why did you buy your corvette? I wish I could drive mine to work everyday I install floors so it would be impossible to,however I take it out everyday for a ride I promised myself when I get mine I would drive it everyday except in very bad weather or snow so far I’ve owned the 2000 vert since aug.24 and except for the three days it sat at the shop waiting for the new shift cable that broke the day after I bought it I have driven her every single day put almost 3,000 miles on. So ask your self why did I buy my corvette to look at or to go out and enjoy and inspire other future corvette owners young and old. So I encourage all you corvette owners to get out there and drive the wheels off those cars they deserve to be seen and heard.I must confess I have not personally bought one my wife gave me mine as a birthday present. I have the greatest wife ever.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c93f36a64.jpeg

dbgoodwin 10-16-2018 10:50 AM

I bought mine because I needed a cheap beater that was good on gas so I could avoid putting miles on my 1992 Toyota pickup.

Velocity_Vette 10-16-2018 11:08 AM

I wanted it

ArmchairArchitect 10-16-2018 11:14 AM

I believe in meritocracy in everything, including products, so I have no preference for American vehicles or any particular brand (see signature for vehicle list).

I bought my C5Z because:

- It's the best performing sports car under $30k.
- It's beautiful
- It's reliable/durable and can last for many many miles problem-free without major issues
- Parts and service costs are very reasonable compared to other supercars
- It's extremely fun/lively to drive and has a driver's car feel, very connected to the road with excellent driving characteristics (steering response, turn in, handling, etc.)

dleibman 10-16-2018 11:25 AM

Has been my favorite car since seeing it on Bonanza TV show commercials as a kid and Route 66.

Pounder 10-16-2018 11:37 AM

when in 9th grade I saw two older kids racing Corvettes up the one way street from school, one was a Black 59 and the other was a black 61 !!!!!! I was hooked !!!! I have had many Vettes since including a 59 !!!!!!!!!!!!

'Shifter 10-16-2018 11:45 AM

I've loved them all my life since seeing my first C2 at age 5, and couldn't wait to own one of my own.

jpm995 10-16-2018 11:54 AM

My brother was a big hot rod guy in the '50's and it rubbed off on me. The vette was the 'holy grail' of American cars. At 65 i finally figured i had the time and money to afford one. It sits in the garage way too much but i love the car.

killian96ss 10-16-2018 12:14 PM

I fell in love with Corvettes at a very young age and still have a few old Hot Wheels Corvettes from the 70's. As I got older and really started getting into working on and restoring cars like 60's to 70's Impala's and Camaro's I nearly purchased a 96 C4 GS, but family and kids took priority so I compromised and bought a 96 Impala SS. The Impala SS was a great car with plenty of room for the family and surprisingly after being heavily modified could keep up with and out handle most cars out there except for Corvettes and some Mustangs. When the C5 came out in 97 I was like OMG what beautiful car with so much performance potential and remember saying I've got to get one some day. When the Z06 came out in 01 it instantly became my dream car, but family and another kid again took priority, so the Impala SS stayed and continued being modified. Fast forward to 2015, the time had finally come to get my dream car, so I sold my Impala SS to a good friend who still has it and began my search for a C5 Z06. After 6 months of searching I found an 02 Z06 with 9k miles and have been extremely happy ever since. :D
IMHO the C5 is the still the best looking Corvette ever made, but I'd still like to have a 68-72 if time and money ever permit it.

Steve

jrprich 10-16-2018 12:18 PM

I have wanted one since I was 8 and visited my sister in LA. Her husband had just bought a new 1958 Vette........one ride and I was hooked.
But it took me another 50 years to actually own one. :^(

Jim

J. Chris Davis 10-16-2018 12:31 PM

The Corvette has always been my favorite car with Camaro a close second. I grew up with my Dad's 76 that he bought a few years before I was born when the car was a year old. When I was a kid I had the Corvette Black Book memorized as if it were my bible. Still have the 76 and just picked up a 98 a couple of months ago. Really been wanting one of the C5's since they were new when I was in high school. I wouldn't mind having one of every generation though. The C2 is probably my favorite, then C3, C5, C1, C6, C7 & C4.

FYRARMS 10-16-2018 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by C5wilts (Post 1598168044)
Why did you buy your Corvette?

* Value. The C5 Z06 is cheap. And, for the price, they are the best performance car buy of the decade. For a lower price than most economy sedans, you can get a well-maintained example that will keep up on a short road course with much newer and more powerful cars. Just a brake pad upgrade and modern tires will let you hang with the big dogs.

* Appearance. The C5 Z06/FRC roofline has always been attractive to me. It looks like a fighter jet cockpit. Also, as affordable as the cars are, it is easy to find them in pristine condition and well-maintained by the sellers.

* Upgrading. It is a mass-produced car running an LS engine. The modification options are endless, and it very easy to build a beast of a car. 3150# or so sure is a nice place to start building from, too!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c2120ff0ce.jpg

tentuna 10-16-2018 01:35 PM

I've had four of them, when I was growing up had many muscle cars GTO, SS Nova's and then a 67 Coupe but it was stolen, very sad day. After I was married bought a 76 not a great car but a car, when we bought a house the Vette went, about 15 years ago got a 66 Coupe did a total restoration then it became tired of a garage queen. Sold it and paid my daughters last year in college with it and bought an 04 Vert, had it for 10 years and I feel the itch coming again maybe a C7 in the future.
;)

Forcedvert 10-16-2018 01:38 PM

Because it was cheaper than a Chevelle:thumbs:

Vetteman Jack 10-16-2018 02:03 PM

I have wanted a Vette since I was a kid and was finally able to get one in 1982 - a 1979. Since then, I’ve had 8 other Vettes. The looks, handling and performance have always been an attraction to me.

smitty2919 10-16-2018 02:22 PM

You can't beat the bang for the buck with a C5Z. I daily drive and raced a 95 LT1 Camaro with a bunch of mods for the last 3 years in autocross. Always playing catchup on course and never really liking the fact it looks like junk when taking the wife to dinner.

Corvette is a great triple purpose car...daily driver, race toy and nice dinner vehicle lol I've wanted one for last couple years after I saw how LITTLE modifications they need to perform on course.

FYRARMS 10-16-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by smitty2919 (Post 1598169738)
never really liking the fact it looks like junk when taking the wife to dinner.

I literally just LOLd. :lol:

FreeC5inAZ 10-16-2018 02:42 PM

I inherited it. Ex-FIL bought it new in 2000 (late 1999?). A year 2000 in Millennium Yellow for the new millennium. I always loved the C5 - thought it was the best looking (and still is) body style. He got tired of seeing it sit so he passed it down to us because he knew I loved the car and I'd drive it.

K-Spaz 10-16-2018 03:17 PM

Earliest car memories of my life are either Corvette or Jag XKE. Still can recall vaguely those moments. For too long I considered them too expensive to own, then I realized the C5 had come into a price range where I could easily afford one.

As to kids and first impressions... Short parable:
Yesterday leaving work, 2 young kids are going up the street as I walk out to the car. One on a bike, the other has a scooter. Ages, probably 7-8... No shirts, just out playing. I get in and they hear the door close, I can see them in the mirror, stop and look. The moment the motor fires, they reacted about the way you can expect. They're standing where I need to back out blocking me from leaving, and the one kid finally comes up to the passengers window and asks me, what kind of car is that? I got out and we talked, I let them check the car out. They asked me to rev it up a few times and it was obvious I'd just made their day.

If it wasn't for all the a-hole laws we have today I'd have taken them each for a ride, but I can just see me going to jail for 36 in a 35 or kidnapping or god only knows what. Nothing surprises me any more.

But, kids still love Corvettes!

zeevette 10-16-2018 03:17 PM

In '01 I bought a Mustang Cobra, and really liked the car. I started with some minor mods, but it really wasn't that fast. A customer was admiring my Mustang, and asked how it compared to his C5. We went for a drive in his car, and I was hooked. I was going to order a '03 when I happened upon a '02Z with only 250 miles. It was a repo, and the dealer had it listed for a ridiculously low price. He even gave me a good trade-in value for my car.