CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Looking at 2012 gs 100th anniversary (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4202889-looking-at-2012-gs-100th-anniversary.html)

ramairvert 10-18-2018 02:39 AM

Looking at 2012 gs 100th anniversary

Looking at a 2012 grand sport 100th anniversary coupe 3lt 6 speed manual, 2 tops , dual mode exhaust, f55, 3500 miles 3m clear wrap on whole front end bumper fenders mirrors and hood car looks and smells brand new. Has the factory wheels and tires and also comes with another set from z06 zr1 19 inch 20 inch cup wheels and tires with red stripe. He is asking 45k firm for all of it . What do all of you think ? Thanks

Judgebull 10-18-2018 03:50 AM

Maybe a little high but depending on the extra wheels and tires... 3500 miles... a true garage queen..if you really like it... go for it.

enventr 10-18-2018 04:31 AM

It does seem high. That is C7 pricing but if you like it then it’s your decision. The car sounds great . Extra low miles is a plus. Good luck .

cal45 10-18-2018 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by ramairvert (Post 1598179353)
Looking at a 2012 grand sport 100th anniversary coupe 3lt 6 speed manual, 2 tops , dual mode exhaust, f55, 3500 miles 3m clear wrap on whole front end bumper fenders mirrors and hood car looks and smells brand new. Has the factory wheels and tires and also comes with another set from z06 zr1 19 inch 20 inch cup wheels and tires with red stripe. He is asking 45k firm for all of it . What do all of you think ? Thanks

I was in the same boat as you in June - but it was between a '12 100th anniversary GS vert and a '13 60th anniversary GS coupe. Both in the same new condition in/out with each priced a tad more at 47 (similar mileage 5000)....none had an extra set of wheels which is another plus for you. I went for the '13 60th as I prefer a coupe over a vert but was tempted to go for the vert as I have never owned any convertible..... and I've been buying cars since 1975. ;).

Some folks will say you're in C7 price territory (and you are) but for me, I preferred the C6 style and interior room and it was like getting a new C6 special edition model for almost $30K off original MSRP model and well worth it for me.

farmington 10-18-2018 07:47 AM

I bought my Centennial base coupe this spring. I honestly haven’t seen another centennial on the road here in the Detroit area. If you like having something nobody else has go for it.

cal45 10-18-2018 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by farmington (Post 1598179728)
I bought my Centennial base coupe this spring. I honestly haven’t seen another centennial on the road here in the Detroit area. If you like having something nobody else has go for it.

Agreed - we all know that the 12 Centennial and 13 60th editions were not low production models, but it is rare to see another one on the road as you drive.
Entered my 1st Corvette show a few weeks ago and there were over 145 Vettes participating and only two were 60th Anniversary Editions (mine and a nice 427Vert - and we were parked right across from each other). I believe there was one '12 CE GS coupe there.

TXGS507 10-18-2018 08:30 AM

I have a friend here locally with one. He has installed Cam, Twin Turbo... IT is a flippin beast AND as you stated you rarely see them. I say get it and don't look back

FAUEE 10-18-2018 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ramairvert (Post 1598179353)

That's a very reasonable price, given the low miles ot may even be a tad low. My car is similar but 4LT and has 13k, and realistic offers for it would start in the 50k+ range.

These are great cars, and the best looking modern Corvette. They trade for FAR higher than standard cars (as much as detractors want to claim otherwise). I can honestly say the only other C6 I'd consider is the 427 vert, these are the best of the line.

The stick shift cars get a hand built ls3 (like other gs), all Centennial edition gs have the mag ride and dual mode exhaust, the seats are awesome with leather and suede all over the interior, it truly is a do everything car. The 3lt car doesnt have quite as nice of an interior as 4lt, but that's the only downside of that car.

09Z06pj 10-18-2018 08:53 AM

That car sounds awesome. You're unlikely to find another one in that condition with such low miles. Try to deal a little but if it's what you are looking for, I'd jump on it. :thumbs:

farmington 10-18-2018 08:55 AM

Mine, being a base coupe, is very rare. Only made 172 and mine is one of only 13 that came with chrome wheels. With the other options (A6, clear top, best Bose Nav stereo, and battery charger) it’s probably a 1 of 1 but according to the museum, no way to find out anymore.

JABCAT 10-18-2018 08:58 AM

The centennial package was simply a $5k appearance package & nothing else. They were also the most produced across the line of GS, Z06 & ZR1 making them the least rare color option on any of those models. Rare or limited edition models bring higher prices, while this sounds like a great car, I would say it’s about $5-6k to high.

FAUEE 10-18-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by JABCAT (Post 1598180052)
The centennial package was simply a $5k appearance package & nothing else. They were also the most produced across the line of GS, Z06 & ZR1 making them the least rare color option on any of those models. Rare or limited edition models bring higher prices, while this sounds like a great car, I would say it’s about $5-6k to high.

It has unique paint, unique stripes, unique badges, unique emblems, unique interior trim, unique seats, and a unique 4lt interior. It's obviously not a new engine, but it's also about the most amount of stuff that you can get in a package.

You may think they're not rare, but they are, especially with a stick, and they do trade for a ton more than normal cars. Whether its rarity, appearance, or just the price of the package itself I dont know (or care), but they are worth quite a bit more.

I've been casually looking at Porsche 911s. The 996 generation ended with a similar deal, a 40th anniversary model. These go for 5 to 10k nore than normal cars. They get a badge, unique silver paint (that looks like every other silver), and include all the sport pack stuff youd want (sport suspension etc.), They go for a lot more mo ey than normal cars, and they're not even that rare either(1963 made).

People often say theres mo difference in special edition cars, but they do go for more money. The 96 GS goes for over double what a similar non gs lt4 car would, and it's basically a paint and stripe package (it does have wider wheels and stick on fender arches), but the value is there.

BlindSpot 10-18-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by JABCAT (Post 1598180052)

:iagree: with all you've said here.

z06clif 10-18-2018 09:24 AM

Its a little high in price but if you buy it then maybe you can sell the extras . Make an offer but take the extras as a side purchase if hes that firm. Dont forget his price will be whats on the Bill of Sale amd subject to taxes.

Clif

farmington 10-18-2018 09:26 AM

Centennial pkg also included mag ride

JABCAT 10-18-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598180109)
It has unique paint, unique stripes, unique badges, unique emblems, unique interior trim, unique seats, and a unique 4lt interior. It's obviously not a new engine, but it's also about the most amount of stuff that you can get in a package.

You may think they're not rare, but they are, especially with a stick, and they do trade for a ton more than normal cars. Whether its rarity, appearance, or just the price of the package itself I dont know (or care), but they are worth quite a bit more.

People often say theres mo difference in special edition cars, but they do go for more money. The 96 GS goes for over double what a similar non gs lt4 car would, and it's basically a paint and stripe package (it does have wider wheels and stick on fender arches), but the value is there.

Right it was a $5k pkg that gave you the paint, badges, interior, etc. That doesn't equate to $10k resale over a comparable model without that package. By the production numbers the Centennial Edition is the least rare C6 of that year, doesn't matter if one thinks it's rare, it isn't. The '96 GS was individually numbered with only a set # made. I'm not disagreeing that special edition cars hold a little bit more value than their non-special edition counterparts, I've owned several & my wife currently owns a special limited edition Jeep Wrangler. My '99 Hugger Orange Camaro SS hardtop, 6-speed was 1 of 3 documented by GM & SLP. I got maybe $2k more when I sold it than other similarly equipped & condition SS's.

Corvette owners & Jeep owners are very similar in that they think their cars are the holy grail of their respective segment and somehow never lose value. I currently own both, and have owned many, many cars over the years. Throw a lift and some new wheels on a Jeep with 40k miles and all of a sudden owners think they can sell it for $5k more than original MSRP. My wife totaled her previous special edition Jeep. Could not find a single one for sale across the country to replace it and/or compare values for the insurance adjuster. It got me $2500 more on the totaled value than a comparable non-special edition model even though the package was close to $7k. Throw a couple special edition badges on a Corvette and the price jumps $10k.

So back to my original opinion, (the OP asked for opinions). There are plenty of low mileage '12 GS's being sold in the low to mid $30k range, so I stand by my opinion that this car is about $5k over-priced. $40k would probably be the max that I would pay for it. :cheers:

BadAV 10-18-2018 10:47 AM

Naysayers say what you want about the Centennial not being rare. I have never seen another one on the road since I bought mine 4 and a half years ago. As stated, special paint, stripes, seats. I personally love the carbon flash paint, and the subtle play of the different finishes on the stripes and wheels against the paint. I have gotten way more thumb's ups on my Centennial than my other 2 Vettes, one of which was Millennium Yellow and was also noticed a lot.

Sticker on my 4LT vert was $88k. They definitely command a higher price than a comparable "normal" model. $47k may be a little high, but you are getting an essentially new car with 2 tops and protective film that assures few paint chips in the future. The extra wheels and tires are worth $1200 or so. Yes, you can buy a C7 for that money. Which do you think will hold its value better over the long haul, and which is the better looking car? No contest that it's the Centennial GS.

h8snow 10-18-2018 11:04 AM

$45000.00 you could buy a nice C7. The Grand Sport is a nice car but in my opinion spending that much would be looking at the next generation.

FAUEE 10-18-2018 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JABCAT (Post 1598180481)
$40k would probably be the max that I would pay for it. :cheers:

Perhaps to you, but to others they will pay more. The amount the package cost when new isnt relevant to how much it's worth in the end.

Reality is, what you're saying isnt rare is 1000 GS Coupes. That's pretty rare. In total they made about 2000 Centennials of all types. That's less than 427 verts produced. While it isnt the rarest Corvette, it's quite rare. Again, that rare 2004 911 40th package they made 1963 of, effectively the same number as ALL CE variants. When you start drilling down things like having a stick, it gets even rarer.

The price for a car like this is driven by the supply side. Not a lot for sale, and there is demand for them. Maybe not from you, but it's out there.

BadAV 10-18-2018 11:37 AM

Production numbers from the Centennial Edition Registry thread:

Here are the production numbers:
Base Coupe: 172
GS Coupe: 1,040
Base Vert: 60
GS Vert: 528
Z06: 195
Zr1: 206