CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   New Patent Explains How the C8 Could Be Manual (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4203473-new-patent-explains-how-the-c8-could-be-manual.html)

Curated Content Editor 10-19-2018 02:52 PM

New Patent Explains How the C8 Could Be Manual

New Patent Explains How the C8 Could Be Manual

Daily Slideshow: Fear not members of the manual tribe, there is hope.

By Jakob Hansen - October 19, 2018

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2b1ca22c28.jpg

Supermassive 10-19-2018 04:24 PM

When I first heard this my first idea was finally being able to have remote start on a manual car...my priorities are weird, but I loved starting up my C7 as I walked up to it, it was the perfect preamble for getting in to drive it.

Sub Driver 10-19-2018 04:40 PM

You are kind of late to the party with this article aren't you? This was discussed quite a while ago. Also, this has nothing to do with the ME corvette. GM doesn't need this to put a manual in the ME vette and I don't understand why some people think a new patent for manuals has anything to do with it. They either will put a manual in or they will not. This doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

Jakob_Hansen 10-19-2018 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Supermassive (Post 1598189203)
When I first heard this my first idea was finally being able to have remote start on a manual car...my priorities are weird, but I loved starting up my C7 as I walked up to it, it was the perfect preamble for getting in to drive it.

Can't believe I never thought of this, but that is the best point! Remote start is one of the best features on modern cars, I used to use it on my old car all of the time, even if just to warm the engine up before driving.

Originally Posted by Sub Driver (Post 1598189283)
You are kind of late to the party with this article aren't you? This was discussed quite a while ago. Also, this has nothing to do with the ME corvette. GM doesn't need this to put a manual in the ME vette and I don't understand why some people think a new patent for manuals has anything to do with it. They either will put a manual in or they will not. This doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

Agreed. This does NOT 100% mean that this is going on the new Vette, intended for the new Vette, or even intended for a production vehicle whatsoever. But debuting the latest technology on the latest and greatest supercar would make a lot of sense. Plus, with the design language required in modern cars, it is highly possible this could be used in a mid-engine, modern high production vehicle.
Better late than never.

loyalsince72 10-20-2018 06:55 PM

I love my Z51 manual, but I'm not egocentric enough to believe I can shift even half as fast as the latest dual clutch automatics. I think I read the shift time was something like 0.6 seconds. I enjoy shifting, but I enjoy performance even more. I'll do just fine with the Tremec 8 speed dual clutch, thank you very much.

Zymurgy 10-21-2018 08:34 PM

Less than 0.1 seconds for a DCT.

sabastian458 10-21-2018 09:11 PM

That article is poorly written and the benefits it makes about an electronic slave aren’t done well either.

Weight savings, really? How much weight savings would there really be once you add a electric slave with the proper windings for that kind of usage, and the added computer (s) with associated wiring. I believe you’d break even, not save any.

Failure points- possible. But, realistically how many C5-c6-c7’s have had leakage failures? Very few I imagine. The main failure point in these systems has been the slave itself. But even an electric one will have failures. Not to mention periodic reprogramming of the engagement point due to clutch disk wear.

The the biggest thing about a ME manual is always how to get the transmission to shift. Not how the hydraulic system is designed. The corvette transmission, as we all know, uses a rod to move the shift forks. You can’t just slap the engine straight to the transmission and still expect to use the shift rod. There is 1 company that I ran across that had a successful shifter cable system that mounts to the typical shifter mount on a T56, and allows very liberal mount locations for the shifter. It’s an option, but expensive, I believe 3-5k?

UnhandledException 10-22-2018 08:09 AM

A non hydraulic clutch is a disaster. I dont think it will feel same either.

NY09C6 10-22-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
A non hydraulic clutch is a disaster. I dont think it will feel same either.

Fully agree with this. Just like throttle by wire never felt the same. But with a clutch the feel is even more important. If they let the computer control the clutch release and engine power/throttle it will will kill the driving experience.