CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   My Vette stolen from dealer service bay (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4203676-my-vette-stolen-from-dealer-service-bay.html)

akers4000 10-20-2018 08:41 AM

My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

so i call dealer ( in connecticut) to see if my vette will be ready and they tell me mechanic went to lunch and when he returned cant find my car. missing from service bay inside shop. someone walked in and stole it.police called, onstar called and they disable car located in woechester N.Y. in a chinese resteraunt parking lot. tow truck is sent to retrieve car while a rochester cop camps out near the vette. as hes sitting there a guy comes out and unlocks the vette, now hes in custody. so car is back at dealer now hopefully in good shape. im going to check it out after work today. what would you do in this situation?

MikeERWNC 10-20-2018 08:46 AM

I don't think you have any options...
The dealer will take care of any issues with the car and return it to you as you left it with a few more miles on it.

Good thing you had OnStar.

Glad you got your car back.

Newdude 10-20-2018 08:50 AM

Woechester or Rochester? What dealer if I may ask? The dealer I work at (outside of Rochester), we had some belongings stolen from an employee's car and a customer's car, they left a brand new loaner car on our lot and stole a Jeep from us.

I'd let police examine the car for anything he may have left in it that would be incriminating evidence. I'm sure for your safety, if the guy left something in it, you wouldn't want to get caught for any reason with it. After that, get the interior cleaned really good.

Was your insurance notified of the car being stolen?

DALE#3 10-20-2018 08:58 AM

Great story ending Positively.

akers4000 10-20-2018 09:00 AM

i think the cop said rochester, the dealer is in connecticut

AceG 10-20-2018 09:00 AM

Wow lmao.

I always wonder what is going trough these guys head to commit grand theft auto.
its also a freaking vette. Not exactly a subtle looking car either

akers4000 10-20-2018 09:02 AM

yes the waterbury ct police were great, all over it coorordinating with new york police.

would it be unreasonable to ask for a extended warranty from dealer? this guy could have redlined car before it warmed up or beat it hard.

fake 10-20-2018 09:14 AM

I would not accept that car back with out an independent mechanic ( not from there dealership) a full inspection on and off a lift with you there! Down the road you have no resource for liable damages! Good Luck

rigelkentaurus 10-20-2018 09:18 AM

Thinking that it might be reasonable to ask for the car to be professionally (by a custom detailer) cleaned, interior especially and thoroughly. After the police have checked it completely for drugs. Have the car thoroughly inspected for any damage, inside and out. Probably about all you can do.

Verboten993 10-20-2018 09:24 AM

Ask dealer to extend warranty 10yrs, 100,000 miles. You have no idea what the thief did to the engine/transmission.

If it was me, It would be launch mode from every stoplight. It would be the most painful ride that car ever had.

pewter99 10-20-2018 09:28 AM

well, based on my experience from working several recovered vehicles....hopefully they didn't wreck it..I would get a complete inspection underneath....it will probably reek of weed so a professional detailing is in order...I imagine it was driven hard at some point

good luck

dvilin 10-20-2018 09:30 AM

Inspect the car thoroughly for any damage, find another dealer to service it in the future one that does not leave car, fobs, whatever around and is more attentive to what is going on. Other than that enjoy your car.

Ih2lose 10-20-2018 09:41 AM

How crazy is that. Glad you got it back. I have had criminal acts committed against me in the past and when I got the items back they always felt so dirty I did not want them back. Sorry for your troubles,We once had an ex worker go off the deep end and left his wife and kids and used our truck to take his belongings, Thankfully the wife was able to track his phone and we were able to get our truck back also. with about 1800 more miles on it

VH Vette 10-20-2018 10:00 AM

I wonder if a stolen car is reported to CarFax? If it is and I was considering a purchase of it, I think I would maybe have some concerns. I have seen CarFax reports with repossession on them. I hate to bring up diminished value, but if you were going to now is the time.
VH

Custom Corvette Accessories 10-20-2018 10:03 AM

:eek:

RonC7 10-20-2018 10:04 AM

Talk to your insurance company and discuss what you want done (inspection, detailing, etc.) before you will accept the car back and who will pay for the work. You pay the insurance company - they should work for you in cases like this.

Slynky 10-20-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by VH Vette (Post 1598192473)
I wonder if a stolen car is reported to CarFax? If it is and I was considering a purchase of it, I think I would maybe have some concerns. I have seem CarFax reports with repossession on them. I hate to bring up diminished value, but if you were going to now is the time.
VH

Interesting question.

Thunder22 10-20-2018 10:07 AM

I hope the dealer changes their procedures and stops leaving the keys in the car. It might be a pain the ass for the service techs, but it will prevent this from happenning.

Slynky 10-20-2018 10:08 AM

I don't know the distances, but what the heck kind of lunch break was that ?! The guy had already driven to another state and ordered lunch before the car was located with OnStar?

So, assuming the mechanic left the key inside the car...?

Would it be crazy to suspect some inside help ?

Thunder22 10-20-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Slynky (Post 1598192509)
I don't know the distances, but what the heck kind of lunch break was that ?! The guy had already driven to another state and ordered lunch before the car was located with OnStar?

So, assuming the mechanic left the key inside the car...?

Would it be crazy to suspect some inside help ?

I know that the OP said Rochester, but that's 5 hours from Waterbury CT, and Westchester NY is under an hour.