CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2016 windshield- need some advice (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4204007-2016-windshield-need-some-advice.html)

JDGill 10-21-2018 09:36 AM

2016 windshield- need some advice

I have a 2016, Z51, has about 6,000 miles. I have owned the car for a year. After purchasing the car and completing it's first detail, I noticed a small area on the front windshield. I took it to dealer for oil change this weekend and questioned them on the windshield. They said it was up to me on the replacement, I still have 2 1/2 months left on bumper to bumper, plus I have the GM extended warranty. The area has not gotten any worse over the last year. Just need some advice. Do I have them order and replace. I am a little concerned about breaking factory seal. Wait and see if area becomes worse? Also, not sure if this is covered under extended warranty. Its getting cold in Ohio, so have to decide soon...

Mayor111 10-21-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JDGill (Post 1598196954)
I have a 2016, Z51, has about 6,000 miles. I have owned the car for a year. After purchasing the car and completing it's first detail, I noticed a small area on the front windshield. I took it to dealer for oil change this weekend and questioned them on the windshield. They said it was up to me on the replacement, I still have 2 1/2 months left on bumper to bumper, plus I have the GM extended warranty. The area has not gotten any worse over the last year. Just need some advice. Do I have them order and replace. I am a little concerned about breaking factory seal. Wait and see if area becomes worse? Also, not sure if this is covered under extended warranty. Its getting cold in Ohio, so have to decide soon...

Can you please share what you noticed - you just said "I noticed a small area on the front windshield"

JDGill 10-21-2018 09:54 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2149c32a68.jpg
trying to post a picture.

jmmoh 10-21-2018 10:32 AM

Had the same on my 2015. Had dealer replace it under warranty. Now I have to start a new rock chip collection

Foosh 10-21-2018 12:49 PM

There's nothing special about the "factory seal" on a windshield. Manufacturers use the same stuff at the factory that windshield replacement companies use.

BTW, the tiny bubbles at the top of C7 windshields was quite common on 14-16 models. My 14 had it, and I ultimately stopped noticing it and never replaced it. You have to get up very close to even see it.

Phanni 10-21-2018 03:38 PM

i had my 2014 windshield replaced about two years ago, It fits perfect and is a GM part. I've had no negative issues with the new windshield.

Red C8 of Jax 10-21-2018 05:42 PM

Did the dealer say why this is not covered under warranty.

JDGill 10-21-2018 06:41 PM

The dealer is willing to replace under the bumper to bumper, it's just up to me if I want it replaced.

Maxie2U 10-21-2018 07:24 PM

Comes down to how much it bothers you and if they use a very good glass company who has a guy that has done a lot of C7 windshield replacements.A s for me given the fact I already had two windshields replaced because of large cracks due to rock hits I would not get it replaced.

Jmhornz71 10-21-2018 08:56 PM

I have that at the top of the windshield of my 2015. didnt notice it when I bought. it. after reading about it here on the forum and saw it. There hasnt been any progression since I first checked it :flag:

ibuildm 10-22-2018 01:57 AM

My 2015 had the same thing at the top of the windshield. I bought it with 20,000 miles on it and it had many rock pits. It was replaced under warranty and I got a nice new GM windshield with no pits.

IAIA 10-25-2018 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1598199579)
Comes down to how much it bothers you and if they use a very good glass company who has a guy that has done a lot of C7 windshield replacements.A s for me given the fact I already had two windshields replaced because of large cracks due to rock hits I would not get it replaced.

I just got a "fairly small" crack from a rock yesterday. Did you get yours replaced by an insurance company? And if so, did they use an original GM part? I don't know if the stock GM C7 windshield is any stronger in withstanding rocks than an after market--and there is probably something about the GM part related to the heads-up display (?), but until now I've taken some hits with no adverse results. So maybe it IS stronger, by design.

The Chev 10-25-2018 11:00 AM

I called my dealership yesterday about my delaminating 2015 windshield.

They told me I would have to bring the car in for a diagnostic check and leave it with them. I understand that they will need to put eyes on it, but they are trying to charge me a diagnostic fee. Does this sound like a cash grab to anyone else? There is not diagnostic needed. Windshield is delaminating. I told them to have a manager contact me.

RiCorvette 10-25-2018 11:07 AM

I had that same problem ('17 GS) across most of the top as well as a 4" interior crack (not a rock strike) from Pass. side A pillar to the top.
The Windshield was replaced under warranty due to the delamination, but, interestingly, not the crack.
The first attempt failed because of a defect (a bubble), the 2nd attempt has been GTG for a week now. GM OEM Glass was installed.

IAIA 10-25-2018 04:47 PM

Just got off the phone with Safelite here in CA. Ordered the OEM glass, they called Mercury while I was on the line, contacted the adjuster, got verification, set up the appointment for Saturday. GTG. $100 deductible (yeah, my insurance premium reflects that!).

Tony1leo 10-26-2018 12:00 AM

How much are the windsheilds without insurance?

Maxie2U 10-26-2018 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by IAIA (Post 1598221091)
I just got a "fairly small" crack from a rock yesterday. Did you get yours replaced by an insurance company? And if so, did they use an original GM part? I don't know if the stock GM C7 windshield is any stronger in withstanding rocks than an after market--and there is probably something about the GM part related to the heads-up display (?), but until now I've taken some hits with no adverse results. So maybe it IS stronger, by design.

I had my dealer order a GM HUD windshield because I read many stories the aftermarket HUD windshield was blurry. I can say the GM windshield is not any stronger given both cracked fairly easy.

BTW, I have a fairly comprehensive windshield replacement checklist. If you want a copy send me a PM with your email address.

Tom/99 10-26-2018 08:06 AM

I have the same thing on the windshield of my 2015 coupe. About a year before the warranty expired, a new windshield was ordered.
My car is now four years old, and the new windshield still has not arrived.
Good luck!

Maxie2U 10-26-2018 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tom/99 (Post 1598225845)
I have the same thing on the windshield of my 2015 coupe. About a year before the warranty expired, a new windshield was ordered.
My car is now four years old, and the new windshield still has not arrived.
Good luck!

You have been waiting a year for the new windshield!? I had mine replaced last month and it took only five days from the time my dealer ordered the windshield from GM to the time it was delivered. Sounds to me like a dealer problem not a GM supply line problem.

littlewinepress 10-26-2018 03:30 PM

Regarding windshield - I have a 2015 Z06 with what looks like a crack at the upper corner, driver's side. There are no marks or chips on the outside glass, just a delamination between the layers of inner and outer glass. About 4" long and starts from and returns to the rubber gasket around the window. Happened while the car was under cover in an air conditioned garage. Only 2300 miles on the car. Out of warranty by 6 months. Dealer agreed it was a defect in the glass but would not replace it. I called Chevrolet and they also said NO. In fact the Chevy representative told me that even under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, windshields are only 1 year. So I asked him how he would feel if he spent $90K on a car and just months out of the warranty they told you to go pound sand. He had no answer. I told him that I have 3 Porsches and 3 Lexus cars and I can assure him that they would have dealt with this differently. I was planning to add a C8 to my C6 and C7 but not now. I will not be ordering a new C8. At least in my neck of the woods (AZ) Chevrolet service is terrible. And that is with three different dealerships.