CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3s for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted-56/)
-   -   WTB: 1968-1972 (mostly original)Convertible (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted/4204091-1968-1972-mostly-original-convertible.html)

general ike 10-21-2018 02:18 PM

1968-1972 (mostly original)Convertible

Well I see some you have had some luck posting a WTB ad so I though I would give it a try. I have been looking for a while with no real luck, So here are some of my needs/desires. (David I stole your ad!!)

I am looking to purchase the nicest 1968-72 convertible I can find for the best pricing I can afford.Looking for a mostly original car, including the engine, tranny, rear and all major components. A repaint and new interior are OK as long as they match the trim tag specs. It does not need to be a NCRS car, since I cant afford it anyway!!!:nonod:.
I am looking for great paint; great interior; nice top; clean engine bay; well cared for, good documentation would be great. Junkers, clunkers and project cars are out. I don't have the talent nor the time to take on major work..
Sorry all, I am going to limit it to cars within 100 miles of the NYC area. I don't have the time and have been burned by sellers with hidden junk before to travel all over the place.
(Edit: Well after some consideration may be willing to travel for the right car some further distance.)
Some definite requirements for various reasons:
- As stated original engine, tranny and rear.
- Correct paint and interior color. The paint must be in great condition and not in need of a repaint.
- A manual transmission (my 72 is a auto)
- A color other than Orange ( again nothing wrong with Orange but my 72 is Ontario Orange), some colors are more desirable to me than others.
- As close to correct and original as possible
- I would prefer a upgraded original engine but would consider a base engine
- A seller that would be willing to work with me to verify the cars original status though emails and photos.
- I am on a budget so i really need to stay under $35K.
So here you go, lets see what you all have and what we can do together!! Thanks Ike

Pikeslayer 10-22-2018 10:09 AM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eed-in-oh.html

Tonio 10-22-2018 01:30 PM

He's wanting a convertible......:hide:

Pikeslayer 10-22-2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chapter2 (Post 1598203368)
He's wanting a convertible......:hide:

Oops. Well I guess I gave him a bump then. Here's another.

general ike 10-22-2018 07:42 PM

Thanks for the Bump!!!! Yes a convertible is a most!!! Already have a 72 Orange coupe so i am looking for some variety!!! There is a nice LT1 on the forum but its in California and guess what its Orange!!!! Just my luck! Ike

toylman 10-24-2018 06:38 PM

Here's an ad you may have already seen.
https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...718818307.html

general ike 10-24-2018 09:56 PM

Actually I did not Thanks for the heads up!! I have it set to automatically warn me but I did not get that one. Only down side is that it’s a automatic and I had my heart set on a manual!! Thanks again, I will look into it.. Ike

woodlawnmill 10-25-2018 11:57 AM

Having owned 5 '70-72 Corvettes in the past now just my '72BB, a convertible '68-'72 4sp is a tough call I had to look nationally to find my '72 L48 4sp 47K original mile roadster 25 years ago. You probably will have to do the same or wait decades for something within 100 miles or get lucky. Roadsters are hard to find but the easiest to sell (If a 4 sp) WAY more demand than what is for sale. WAY more '68& '69's too. I'd look for a '70 SB 4sp if I had a do over. BB's are a dog as to nose heavy, running hot and 9-10 MPG is just silly Best body style in a C-3,body refinements over '68'69 before HP drop as well.

All the Best,
SW

cor66vette 10-25-2018 07:20 PM

Ike - You say, "I am looking to purchase the nicest 1968-72 convertible I can find for the best pricing I can afford", but what does that mean?
I'll keep an eye out for ya. :cheers:

general ike 10-25-2018 10:54 PM

Well thank you all for the leads and advise, so to answer some of your questions:

Toylman again thanks for the lead. On hindsight and after speaking to the owner he may have advertised that Vette previously and I had spoke to the owner in the past, but regardless I called and spoke to him, sadly it has a automatic transmission and it is not the original but a replacement. The car also needs some cosmetic work, but nothing serious The automatic I am afraid is just too much to overcome. I have my heart set on a manual since my current Vette is a automatic. Thanks again for the lead, keep them coming. I am not sure why Craigslist did not automatically send it too me.

SW thanks for the response. My concern about distant cars are sellers who either don't know or don't want to know about the car. When I went looking for my first Vette, I was new to this and did not question the sellers thoroughly enough. My intentions were to see the car first then check into the details using my photos of the car.The problem was that after a 2 or 3 hour drive I found cars that wouldn't even start, major damage that was left out of the pics. a small detailed part of the car that was well photographed but the rest of it a mess, cars stated as original but were not even close to original etc. I never could understand why a person trying to sell their car was too lazy to take a vacuum and clean up the messy carpets. So I got tired of driving for nothing. Also if you have to fly in and see a car then ship it out you will add substantial amount to the cars overall cost.

But after saying all I realize I need to expand my search to find what I am looking for. But I think the seller will need to be knowledgeable willing to review the car and send photos of areas to sort through everything and verify everything before I travel to see the car. This way there will be less disappointments and travel expenses.

Carl,greatly appreciate any assistance you can give. A extra set of eyes and ears is always great. I think my price range is somewhat flexible, but I think $25-35K for the "right" car. Maybe slightly more for something very special. Sent you an email!!!

Thanks again for the assistance!! Ike

Chrisg2768 10-27-2018 10:42 PM

Ike, my dad has a 1969 Convertible that is all original except carb. It is Fathom Green and was repainted about two years ago and looks very good. It has original 350/350 with a 4-speed, ps, pb, pw, tilt and tele. Seats have been redone and interior looks great including dash and carpet. It has a black soft top and original black hardtop both in very good condition. It is also an AC car although components are missing. Clean frame and birdcage. Original radio is gone and has an after market one. He is looking to get $27,000 or best. The car is in East Lansing, Michigan. Give me a call or text if interested at (517)256-2717.

Thanks, Chris

general ike 10-28-2018 06:46 PM

Chris I sent you a text. Thanks Ike

Babypig 11-02-2018 01:42 PM

Vette

70 454. Vert. Auto mulsanne/ bight blue full power #’s AC. $36k. Call tim on LOng island. 516-658-8863

general ike 11-02-2018 09:20 PM

Thanks Tim but unless it comes with a manual still a pass. let you know if anything changes!! Ike

cor66vette 11-04-2018 07:39 PM

Hey, Ike! How's the search going? (And bringing this to the top)

general ike 11-04-2018 11:01 PM

Carl thanks for the bump!!! Appreciated!! The search is not so great. I have not even gone to see anything yet. I guess my parameters are limiting the cars that are available. Well I knew it was not going to be easy, but the good thing is that I am in no rush. I have one under my belt and that will hold me until what I am looking for comes along.

Thanks again Ike

Tonio 11-05-2018 10:51 AM

This one is close by: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...l_notification

general ike 11-05-2018 07:34 PM

Chapter2 Thanks for the link, I PMed you!!! Ike

cor66vette 12-01-2018 07:55 PM

Good excuse to leave NY right about now. :D
https://gainesville.craigslist.org/c...753238629.html

scotty t 12-01-2018 09:17 PM

He means it when he says NO ORANGE! Good luck on your search General Ike