CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   gas cap (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4204479-gas-cap.html)

egerson 10-22-2018 04:17 PM

gas cap

C1 - 1958
still working on gas smell.
is the gas cap supposed to be VENTED or UNVENTED?
thanks
E g

Frankie the Fink 10-22-2018 04:21 PM

NON- Vented.

egerson 10-22-2018 04:40 PM

Eckler's is selling an "OEM" cap for the C1 and shows it is VENTED.
confused...

Corvette Gas Cap, 1953-1962

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/asse...5-120566-1.jpg

1953-62 (C1) Gas Cap

Part #:25-120566-1Replacement for OE #: 14002439 https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/images/help-icon.png Alt Part #: A2376

Fitment:
1953 thru 1962

JohnZ 10-22-2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by egerson (Post 1598204624)
Eckler's is selling an "OEM" cap for the C1 and shows it is VENTED.
confused...

Corvette Gas Cap, 1953-1962

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/asse...5-120566-1.jpg

1953-62 (C1) Gas Cap

Part #:25-120566-1Replacement for OE #: 14002439 https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/images/help-icon.png Alt Part #: A2376

Fitment:
1953 thru 1962

Eckler's is WRONG-WRONG-WRONG, as usual; they should stick to jewelry and T-shirts. C1's use NON-VENTED gas caps, period.
:beatdeadhorse:

egerson 10-22-2018 05:14 PM

thanks but how do you REALLY feel about Eckler. You sound ambivalent.... LOL

firemist1 10-22-2018 07:53 PM

Vented or Non Vented - That is the question

I believe all gas caps of that era are vented. Modern replacements for these Corvettes have an anti surge capability to prevent fuel spills in the event of an accident. There is no other vent for the gas tank, so eventually you pull a vacuum and no more fuel will flow to the engine with a non vented cap. Non vented caps were not introduced until much later and required other means for venting the fuel tank.

68hemi 10-22-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by firemist1 (Post 1598205794)
I believe all gas caps of that era are vented. Modern replacements for these Corvettes have an anti surge capability to prevent fuel spills in the event of an accident. There is no other vent for the gas tank, so eventually you pull a vacuum and no more fuel will flow to the engine with a non vented cap. Non vented caps were not introduced until much later and required other means for venting the fuel tank.

I am sorry but you are wrong, C1s vented the gas tank NOT the cap.

65GGvert 10-22-2018 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by firemist1 (Post 1598205794)

You must have overlooked JohnZ's post above.

firemist1 10-22-2018 08:15 PM

You are correct. I checked the schematic diagram for the '58 and it does show a separate vent hose for the tank (I should have done that first!). Sorry for the incorrect information.

SDVette 10-22-2018 11:17 PM

If you have a vented cap and want a non-vented cap, you can use a small blob of JB Weld to seal the vent hole.

Frankie the Fink 10-23-2018 06:55 AM

Having said all that and acknowledging a vented cap is incorrect for C1s - the cap is prob not the source of your gas smell (unless the gasket is shot)l any more than your already "open to the atmosphere" tank vent hose.

A disadvantage of the open hose (at least on my 61) was in making hard right turns, particularly uphill, with a topped off tank. Raw gas would run out the vent tube and I would smell it after the maneuver. To wit, avoid completely topping off the tank.

wmf62 10-23-2018 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by SDVette (Post 1598206805)
If you have a vented cap and want a non-vented cap, you can use a small blob of JB Weld to seal the vent hole.

I put the 'right sized' SS sheetmetal screw, with JB Weld on the threads, into the vent hole in the underside of the cap
Bill

egerson 10-23-2018 11:00 AM

OK, I get it, now. Since there is a vent TUBE, the cap does not NEED to be vented to avoid "pulling a vacuum."
I took the cover off the gas tank (in the soft top compartment behind the seat) and can see the vent tube which crosses over the top of the tank & ends right next to the gas cap.
I tested the vent tube, and it allows air flow easily.

So here is my next question.
If a vented gas cap AND the vent tube BOTH vent into the gas filler area, other than being "purist", I see no problem having TWO VENT SOURCES.
I see how having NO VENT, neither a vent tube nor a vented cap, would be a problem - i.e. pulling a vacuum - , but I can't see why having a VENTED cap & a VENT TUBE would ever be a problem.

Am I missing something having to do the physics of venting???
thanks
ED G

SDVette 10-23-2018 11:11 AM

I think your logic is sound Ed G... and like Frankie said, it takes a lot to actually vent from the cap vent..
But it is one more place for gas stink to come from.....

Frankie the Fink 10-23-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by egerson (Post 1598208679)
OK, I get it, now. Since there is a vent TUBE, the cap does not NEED to be vented to avoid "pulling a vacuum."
I took the cover off the gas tank (in the soft top compartment behind the seat) and can see the vent tube which crosses over the top of the tank & ends right next to the gas cap.
I tested the vent tube, and it allows air flow easily.

So here is my next question.
If a vented gas cap AND the vent tube BOTH vent into the gas filler area, other than being "purist", I see no problem having TWO VENT SOURCES.
I see how having NO VENT, neither a vent tube nor a vented cap, would be a problem - i.e. pulling a vacuum - , but I can't see why having a VENTED cap & a VENT TUBE would ever be a problem.

Am I missing something having to do the physics of venting???
thanks
ED G

If you're trying to rationalize buying a vented cap instead of a correct one you've succeeded....

Your initial post asked what is correct ? Now this has morphed into what will work....

But JohnZ doesn't want you to be misled by what the vendors offer up......like gaskets under the midyear door locks (that the factory never used) there are some things they try to sell that are flat out wrong...

68hemi 10-23-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1598207506)
Having said all that and acknowledging a vented cap is incorrect for C1s - the cap is prob not the source of your gas smell (unless the gasket is shot)l any more than your already "open to the atmosphere" tank vent hose.

A disadvantage of the open hose (at least on my 61) was in making hard right turns, particularly uphill, with a topped off tank. Raw gas would run out the vent tube and I would smell it after the maneuver. To wit, avoid completely topping off the tank.

Frankie,
I have the same problem with my 57 and I an going to plug the vent tube and use a vented gas cap to see if it will help.

wmf62 10-23-2018 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 68hemi (Post 1598208932)
Frankie,
I have the same problem with my 57 and I an going to plug the vent tube and use a vented gas cap to see if it will help.

it's just as easy to slosh out the vented cap as the vent from the tank; maybe easier as there is a larger possible quantity and an almost level passageway from cap to tank. remember, when it vents from the cap it vents into the filler compartment which is just about nose level. you can try to fit the tank vent hose down the drain hose which will get the smell farther away from you

best plan, don't overfill the tank (but I overfill mine all the time and don't have the 'smell')
Bill

68hemi 10-23-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1598209181)
it's just as easy to slosh out the vented cap as the vent from the tank; maybe easier as there is a larger possible quantity and an almost level passageway from cap to tank. remember, when it vents from the cap it vents into the filler compartment which is just about nose level. you can try to fit the tank vent hose down the drain hose which will get the smell farther away from you

best plan, don't overfill the tank (but I overfill mine all the time and don't have the 'smell')
Bill

When my car was restored 25 years ago they put a new fuel tank in it and I can only get about 13 gallons in the tank when it is bone dry empty so I don't get much range with a 383 stroker engine. I will try to fit the tank vent hose down the drain hose. Thanks.

Frankie the Fink 10-23-2018 01:18 PM

Modern vented caps and I think even the midyears have a one way valve in the cap. Air is drawn in to stabilize tank pressure as gas is consumed and vacuum created. Then the valve closes. To wit, there shouldn’t be any fuel sloshing out of the cap. I don’t recall if the C1 repro caps have the valve but a suck and blow test will tell for sure.

Factoid 10-23-2018 01:22 PM

If you’re really concerned about the smell, go buy a fuel filter with 3/8” nipples that unscrews so you can replace or clean the filter. Then buy some granulated charcoal meant for fish tanks from your local pet shop (Petsmart, whatever). Fill the filter with the charcoal and connect it to the end of your tank vent hose with the filter screen closer to the fuel tank and put another length of hose on the other end and direct it away from the passenger compartment. You will never smell gas from the vent again.