CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   chazcron's 3D model work in progress (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4204974-chazcrons-3d-model-work-in-progress.html)

IronV 11-08-2018 12:45 AM

Feeling loved and sech...

Originally Posted by pietro c7 (Post 1598297805)
Feel the love IronV?

Reality is not subject to popular vote--nor ad hominem attack.

IronV 11-08-2018 12:48 AM

I'm buyin...

CorvettoBrando 11-08-2018 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by IronV (Post 1598294749)
I love all your renders. And FVS's as well. My only focus is on the reality that is staring us in the face and the apparent mass denial that's going on.

And please. Can we stop with the "camera lens makes it look like that...?" The laws of physics do not differentially impact the imaging of the new Corvette from other mid engine cars.

From the get-go. My concern is the basic proportions and shape of this thing. The nose is high, flat and pushed in, adorned by a bird beak in the center.

Removing camo will not change that. Switching lenses will not change that.

The reason so many others are commenting on the out of whack proportions of the car is because the proportions of the car are out of whack. It's not an optical illusion.

Whether you "like" the proportions and design direction that are emerging is a matter of taste. Nobody is required to share my opinions.

But it's absurd to deny the obvious and unchangeable.

Nobody is required to share your opinions, and yet you tirelessly drone on and on, again and again, to try and make sure they do. Give it a rest until the car is revealed. Your effort is a monumental waste of energy. Drive your "perfect" old Corvette around to your heart's content, basking in the nostalgia of your perfect Corvette purchase, look at yourself in your rear view mirror, and continue to tell yourself how superior your discernment and knowledge of design paradigms is to everyone else on CF. Hey, Rachel Dratch called, she wants to offer you her role in the SNL reprise of Debbie Downer.

IronV 11-08-2018 01:28 AM

Droning for Dollars...

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando (Post 1598299081)
Nobody is required to share your opinions, and yet you tirelessly drone on and on, again and again, to try and make sure they do. Give it a rest until the car is revealed. Your effort is a monumental waste of energy. Drive your "perfect" old Corvette around to your heart's content, basking in the nostalgia of your perfect Corvette purchase, look in your rear view mirror, and continue to tell yourself how superior your discernment and knowledge of design paradigms is to everyone else on CF. Hey, Rachel Dratch called, she wants to offer you her role in the SNL reprise of Debbie Downer.

OK. Here's my question...

Why is it more unreasonable for me to offer critique before the reveal, than it is for those to offer praise before the reveal?

And I LOVE Debbie Downer and Rachel Dratch.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8532f5a45d.jpg

CorvettoBrando 11-08-2018 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by IronV (Post 1598299095)
OK. Here's my question...

Why is it more unreasonable for me to offer critique before the reveal, than it is for those to offer praise before the reveal?

And I LOVE Debbie Downer and Rachel Dratch.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8532f5a45d.jpg

Of course you love the character, and the actress. It is not unreasonable to voice a critique prior to the reveal. Once or twice. I don't see anyone on the forum praising the unrevealed design of the spy cars as many times, or with as much energy and commitment to their opinion, as you have. Your responses to spy photos and rendering efforts on countless forum chats, and the discussions therein, is not pragmatic, nor have they been commensurate to the overall, enthusiastic tone of the speculative design discussions. at all. But hey, if you are compelled, and cannot control the insatiable urge to cry FAIL from your podium, carry on.

IronV 11-08-2018 02:09 AM

Reality bites...

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando (Post 1598299133)
Of course you love the character, and the actress. It is not unreasonable to voice a critique prior to the reveal. Once or twice. I don't see anyone on the forum praising the unrevealed design of the spy cars as many times, or with as much energy and commitment to their opinion, as you have. Your responses to spy photos and rendering efforts on countless forum chats, and the discussions therein, is not pragmatic, nor have they been commensurate to the overall, enthusiastic tone of the speculative design discussions. at all. But hey, if you are compelled, and cannot control the insatiable urge to cry FAIL from your podium, carry on.

Reality bites.

chazcron 11-08-2018 07:07 AM

Sooo. Anyway.

Last night was a maintenance night. I used some member insight and painstakingly lined up some new rotoscoping angles and really tightened up the accuracy of the wire frame. The next thing I know, it’s after midnight. I didn’t get a chance to produce a new image for this thread

Things are really starting to line up. This is good. Today at work, I’ll be mentally setting my goals for tonight’s modeling session. I’ll try to leave some time for some renders and some Photoshop post work.

firstvettesoon 11-08-2018 10:07 AM

To be fair to Iron V, I can see and understand his point and commentary about the camo photos. There does seem to be a discrepancy in the way the c8 images look when compared to the camo images of the Ferrari or Lamborghini which seem to retain their overall look and feel even in camo.

...my feeling is that the Corvette is not as extreme a design and therefore more of the design aesthetic is lost or hidden by the camouflage.

from my rendering work and comparing two other known vehicles including the Ferrari McLaren and C7, I can project and feel confident that this car will look wonderful when revealed. It will not be an over-the-top futuristic Corvette. It will be in evolution of the Corvette C7 into a mid engine car. The revolution is that it is mid engine but the bones and skin need to remain branded and have the same design aesthetic that will allow it to be recognized as a Corvette

ultimately, I believe the mid engine Corvette will be a more aggressive looking “Corvette“. More angular.

it’s nose is not any higher than the current car or Ferrari. As far as the grill opening goes. We do not know how this will be filled so it could look like a gaping cavern Or it could look slick. Either way, I am sure whatever it is will be necessary for the performance.

chazcron 11-08-2018 10:09 AM

Well said.

firstvettesoon 11-08-2018 10:10 AM

Now let’s try to get back to Chazcrons tremendous work in fleshing out a 3-D model which should help visualizing the car since it will be able to be posed and corrected for. distortion

thanks for taking up the gauntlet Chaz. !!

Foosh 11-08-2018 10:24 AM

Yes, well said. I do agree with IronV that the nose is what's bothering me the most, and that's why I'm hoping the "masters of deception" have done a great job of completely hiding how that will really look.

Shaka 11-08-2018 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon (Post 1598300450)
To be fair to Iron V, I can see and understand his point and commentary about the camo photos. There does seem to be a discrepancy in the way the c8 images look when compared to the camo images of the Ferrari or Lamborghini which seem to retain their overall look and feel even in camo.

...my feeling is that the Corvette is not as extreme a design and therefore more of the design aesthetic is lost or hidden by the camouflage.

from my rendering work and comparing two other known vehicles including the Ferrari McLaren and C7, I can project and feel confident that this car will look wonderful when revealed. It will not be an over-the-top futuristic Corvette. It will be in evolution of the Corvette C7 into a mid engine car. The revolution is that it is mid engine but the bones and skin need to remain branded and have the same design aesthetic that will allow it to be recognized as a Corvette

ultimately, I believe the mid engine Corvette will be a more aggressive looking “Corvette“. More angular.

it’s nose is not any higher than the current car or Ferrari. As far as the grill opening goes. We do not know how this will be filled so it could look like a gaping cavern Or it could look slick. Either way, I am sure whatever it is will be necessary for the performance.

If you think the poor behaviour in the C8 section is bad now, just wait 'till the actual car is seen.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...35d6b9ad2e.jpg

firstvettesoon 11-08-2018 11:27 AM

This is a simplified rendering just to get the proportions and features fairly accurate. The nose is in line with the Pista in terms of height and width etc. The grill could be wide open with huge blacked out mesh areas OR it could be filled with aero elements ( most likely) that will help define and refine the nose.

Even this simplified version don't look too bad IMO. I think the c8 will be a very attractive car... to most... ; )

We have no idea of how the trim will help accent and define the look.
I am ready to be surprised!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dd2e301397.jpg

Shaka 11-08-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon (Post 1598301019)
This is a simplified rendering just to get the proportions and features fairly accurate. The nose is in line with the Pista in terms of height and width etc. The grill could be wide open with huge blacked out mesh areas OR it could be filled with aero elements ( most likely) that will help define and refine the nose.

Even this simplified version don't look too bad IMO. I think the c8 will be a very attractive car... to most... ; )

We have no idea of how the trim will help accent and define the look.
I am ready to be surprised!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dd2e301397.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6c5fb4d27f.jpg

Atari_Prime 11-08-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by IronV (Post 1598299036)
Reality is not subject to popular vote--nor ad hominem attack.

Agree on the first point, the second point makes you look like a law student who just learned a new word.

firstvettesoon 11-08-2018 11:46 AM

^^ The nose on the Pista IS longer as you (Shaka) suggest. Closer to what we see on the C8R. I suspect the Zr1 version will have "enhanced" nose aero and maybe fender flairs... As you had pointed out in another thread, it will be necessary to get out in front more for better air management.

Atari_Prime 11-08-2018 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by IronV (Post 1598299136)
Reality bites.

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando (Post 1598299133)

I will defend IronV in saying that his voice is not an outlier, meaning the "overall, enthusiastic tone" you mention above is a lie or at least is an opinion with nothing to back it up. There are no statistics to say whether people are liking the design or hating it, only a collection of opinions in the public and on various forums and none of them have been calculated to say how many are for or against. Also, as many of them will be found on Corvette forums like this one, there will be a certain level of bias built into any statistics calculated. He is entitled to his opinion, and it is a reasonable one (on this topic). However, I will concede that IronV does his share his opinion more often that most would like (myself included) and to use some of the legal jargon that he seems to have a predilection for, his comments are both ad infinitum and ad nauseum.

firstvettesoon 11-08-2018 11:59 AM

:lol:

Some of these comments are a real pain in the -... ads...

see what I did there?

:cool:

Shaka 11-08-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon (Post 1598301140)
^^ The nose on the Pista IS longer as you (Shaka) suggest. Closer to what we see on the C8R. I suspect the Zr1 version will have "enhanced" nose aero and maybe fender flairs... As you had pointed out in another thread, it will be necessary to get out in front more for better air management.

Talk about air management, check out this 992. The top of the front fender is flat and the hood has no curve like a lot of Lambos and apparently, the C8. What I have done to your C8 above has actually increased drag. Flat tops fenders and roofs have been a trend in LMP cars for a decade now. All those curves on the tops of fenders and roofs create lift. Fast cars need downforce. Any lift + or - creates drag. Any + lift value on the body of a car needs to be opposed by various methods before there is a net downforce. Flat top fenders require less splitter for the same net downforce. This 488 Pizza has curved front fenders and the exit on the top of the hood and the front diffuser create downforce. Some of that downforce has to counter what the fenders are doing. Much more drag. There is a limit to the height of the nose of the car before it begins to create too much drag. The C8 wins the battle of drag over the 488, but the 488 looks better.
Lambos since the Countach have the windshield and the hood on the same plane without a curve but unfortunately, there no space for golf clubs. The stylist, the engineer and the been counter continue to duke it out. Another thing, if you look at the shape of the C7 roof to the C8, the C7 has less lift therefor, less drag. That Japanese styling has a purpose. Check out the McLaren Speedtail.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...01e031cdbf.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5afb65d179.jpg

Shaka 11-08-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime (Post 1598301201)
I will defend IronV in saying that his voice is not an outlier, meaning the "overall, enthusiastic tone" you mention above is a lie or at least is an opinion with nothing to back it up. There are no statistics to say whether people are liking the design or hating it, only a collection of opinions in the public and on various forums and none of them have been calculated to say how many are for or against. Also, as many of them will be found on Corvette forums like this one, there will be a certain level of bias built into any statistics calculated. He is entitled to his opinion, and it is a reasonable one (on this topic). However, I will concede that IronV does his share his opinion more often that most would like (myself included) and to use some of the legal jargon that he seems to have a predilection for, his comments are both ad infinitum and ad nauseum.

Nice comment, but what the hell does predulllickshin mean? You guys have to learn how to talk write. Big words like marmalade. Oh yeah, type slower because I can't red fast.