CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Road Race Set-up (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4204984-road-race-set-up.html)

BennieC. 10-23-2018 11:57 PM

Road Race Set-up

Anyone here road race their C4 ZR-1? I want to set up my 95 for Road Race. I'd like to get more info from someone that is actually had or have experience with the C4 flat form. I'm not going to compete with it, just go run with some friends in their Vipers at Thunderhill and Laguna Seca.

onethumb 10-24-2018 07:28 PM

I am curious about this too. Planning on running laps at the Bondurant track, and maybe Willow Springs.

Thunderhill would be an absolute blast in a well prepped ZR-1.

I would think a quicker ratio rack would be a big help. I do not have one (nor do I 100% understand which ones will fit).

At minimum, a good set of racing pads and high temp fluid would be necessary, I think.

zrracer 10-25-2018 07:09 PM

Call Van Steel in Clearwater. They have been settin up Corvetts to road race for 30 plus years. They have everything you need.
��

Daniel_Mc 10-26-2018 02:46 PM

I would not necessarily throw a bunch of $$'s or modifications at the car. Fresh brake pads, fresh brake fluid (change the lines dependent on condition, my personal preference is SS), good tires not older than 5 years and not race rubber if you are new to this, then seat time, seat time, and seat time. Get a good SA2015 rated helmet and a good restraint system is nice, but not completely needed.

-Daniel

Vette Guy 12-15-2018 04:26 PM

Agree with Daniel - get to know your car first. I recommend Carbotech XP-10 front / XP-8 pads for starting out, and make sure everything else is in good mechanical condition - fresh fluids (engine/trans/diff/brakes) a must and SS lines - super dot 4 for brake fluid (500+ dry boiling point). I believe the next best adjustment you can make is to your wheel alignment. My recommendation is not to go down the road of making your Z into a track car if you plan to drive it on the street and only track it occasionally.... race cars make terrible street cars. For occasional track use, your car is more than capable. As Daniel said, street rubber and not race rubber, nor Proxies. Street tires are very forgiving, track/race tires are much less. Springs, poly bushings, race valved shocks, etc., will make for a horrible ride on the street.

billy mild 12-17-2018 11:37 AM

I used my C4 ZR-1 pretty much stock minus making the suspension fully functional. The car did greaton the road course stock. I made sure to have Hawk HP+ pads, SS brake lines, and new fluid.

Rkreigh 12-17-2018 07:15 PM

I like the vette products coil overs, they have a strong rear knuck bracket instead of just a bolt

Demps just developed some new adustable shocks that look very cool that will soon replace my DRM coil over setup with fresh shocks that also works well.

I also recommend the bansky spherical rod ends with the rubber booties the free up the suspension and elimnation the sticktion that makes the coil overs more responsive and they are lighter and easier to adjust.

also the vette to vette chassis stiffener and a good 4 point with kick outs for the front 2 will help tremendously by stiffening the car

LT5_180 12-19-2018 01:27 PM

My $.02...

...Aside from kissing your money goodbye...

...and Assuming the car is in tip top shape to begin with...

Step 1: Reduce Weight.

Step 2: Reduce more Weight.

Step 3: Add bracing.

Step 4: Add safety equipment.

Step 5: Drive harder.

Step 6: Properly fix everything you break after you crash, or replace the car.

Good luck.