CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Performance Results (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/performance-results-108/)
-   -   Open Headers C5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/performance-results/4206748-open-headers-c5.html)

C5Vette614 10-29-2018 12:47 PM

Open Headers C5

I have been thinking of running open headers on my 98 C5. Besides the noise and cops I guess.. any other issues I should look at coming upon? Also tools needed to do the work? Thanks!

99blkfrc99 10-29-2018 01:29 PM

That sounds like a horrible idea. You'll either go deaf or asphyxiate. But try it and let us know which happens first.

C5Vette614 10-30-2018 09:04 AM

Why do you think that? Idk how I would asphyxiate either, but alright. Lmao.. I don't understand why you're against that. Either you're an old bastard or you don't like loud, scary noises. Anyway I will let the forum know how well it turns out (:

99blkfrc99 10-30-2018 10:06 AM

You must be a millennial

Turpid porpoise 10-30-2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by C5Vette614 (Post 1598246716)
Why do you think that? Idk how I would asphyxiate either, but alright. Lmao.. I don't understand why you're against that. Either you're an old bastard or you don't like loud, scary noises. Anyway I will let the forum know how well it turns out (:

The cabin is not hermetically sealed, exhaust gases would enter the cabin and give you a serious headache at the very least. Open headers is not a great idea, you want the exits to atleast be beyond the front seats of the car. If you're dead set on doing it I would recommend running a catless X pipe with turndowns attached to the ends.

jattz06 10-30-2018 11:19 PM

Go for it let’s see some videos of it after

neutron82 11-01-2018 10:33 PM

I like loud but open header is ridiculous and the drone is unbearable... I had to drive my car for about a week with turndowns after my x-pipe while I was waiting to have my exhaust modified, it sounded good at idle but anything above idle was excruciating and didn't sound good at all

PRE-Z06 11-04-2018 11:09 PM

I started mine up with open headers once to see what it sounded like, but wouldn't recommend driving around like that. Put turn downs at the end of X-Pipe for running at the drag strip as dynoed showed gains over TI exhaust (in fact I bolted up a stock catback and lost .3/5mph in the 1/4) and on the drive there I put my helmet on because head was hurting from the resonance, put ear plugs in for the return trip and ears were ringing when I got home. Cruising sucked, but sounds great at idle and WOT though...

gimp 11-08-2018 09:30 PM

Everyone who has ever ran open headers says it's terrible.

Besides noise and pollution - which will be bad enough to piss you off, let alone everyone around you - you're also going to confuse the shit out of your car's electronics, and you may well melt stuff near the header collector.

ssmoke-u 11-08-2018 10:16 PM

It actually sounds terrible with open headers.

Podium 11-09-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by C5Vette614 (Post 1598242195)
I have been thinking of running open headers on my 98 C5. Besides the noise and cops I guess.. any other issues I should look at coming upon? Also tools needed to do the work? Thanks!

Stop

billymz28 11-14-2018 02:39 AM

Dont do it the drone is unbearable I had to drive my car to muffler shop 3 miles away worst experience of my life. Plus car kept searching for idle had to stay on gas at all times. Had the worst headache of my life after

C5Vette614 12-28-2018 01:32 PM

I haven't done it yet. I hear videos on open headers all the time. I do enjoy the Loud Visceral carnage that V8s produce. Never had the opportunity to hear them in person though. I'll look Into the Off-road Xpipe turn downs with no restrictions for an alternative since people say there might be issues with smells and what not. My current setup is CAI, Magnaflow performance exhaust system; No mufflers, No Resonators straight to the tips. Sounds good and loud, but i'd just like a little more loud. I'll try and grab a video of it and post it. Has some crackles and pops, especially when you take your foot off the gas it likes to burble/ pop like rolling thunder. Still have the 2 sets of cats on the car, can't wait to toss em. Thanks for the feedback also lol.

PRE-Z06 12-28-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by C5Vette614 (Post 1598578244)
I haven't done it yet. I hear videos on open headers all the time. I do enjoy the Loud Visceral carnage that V8s produce. Never had the opportunity to hear them in person though. I'll look Into the Off-road Xpipe turn downs with no restrictions for an alternative since people say there might be issues with smells and what not. My current setup is CAI, Magnaflow performance exhaust system; No mufflers, No Resonators straight to the tips. Sounds good and loud, but i'd just like a little more loud. I'll try and grab a video of it and post it. Has some crackles and pops, especially when you take your foot off the gas it likes to burble/ pop like rolling thunder. Still have the 2 sets of cats on the car, can't wait to toss em. Thanks for the feedback also lol.

Remove the cats if it's not loud enough, I ran my stock C5 with cats but no mufflers and it sounded good I thought. On my modified C5 with headers and no cats the straight pipes drone was annoying as well as it drew too much attention when you breathed on the gas fwiw.

_zebra 01-01-2019 10:55 PM

it'll also get a lot hotter inside considering the collectors dump right under your legs. i reckon the majority of the carbon monoxide would be coming in right around the shifter.
and the drone/ringing would be due to the sound bouncing right off the road up into your butt.

Scotty2000SS 01-03-2019 11:29 PM

Why even run headers? Open heads!

PRE-Z06 01-04-2019 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty2000SS (Post 1598617212)
Why even run headers? Open heads!

Ya need some scavenging, zoomie headers out the hood ftw!

C5Vette614 03-29-2019 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06 (Post 1598580026)

Remove the cats if it's not loud enough, I ran my stock C5 with cats but no mufflers and it sounded good I thought. On my modified C5 with headers and no cats the straight pipes drone was annoying as well as it drew too much attention when you breathed on the gas fwiw.

Yeah I’m going to remove the cats with and off-road setup. And get a good cam maybe like a BTR Stage 3 or something similar. Then a good tune.

Quickshift_C5 07-11-2019 08:57 PM

If you want loud, go catless with a bullet style exhaust, like the B&B Bullets. It'll still sound good, not the raw nastiness of an open header setup. I fired that up once in my garage after doing a clutch swap, just to see what it was like. Couldn't turn the car off fast enough. It wasn't a good sound, just a bunch of loud noise.

Here is my car wide open with LG Pro Longtubes, no cats, B&B Bullets. You can still hear it over a 1/4mi away when I'm off the gas completely and it's winding down.

SatinC5 07-12-2019 06:06 PM

I run open headers. It actually sounds like a semi idle but when you’re on the gas it sounds pretty loud. The drone isn’t that bad. If you’ve been in the military it’s less of a drone then being in a Stryker or something like that. You can still have a conversation in the car but you’re definitely talking louder