CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   R888/R888Rs in the rain? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4206758-r888-r888rs-in-the-rain.html)

Toddiesel 10-29-2018 12:59 PM

R888/R888Rs in the rain?

Between Google search and browsing/searching the forum here, I've found a ton of stuff about R888s and R888Rs, and some of that does include mention of driving in the rain. The general sentiment is "don't do it" but that also seems to be the general sentiment of the factory PSS/SC2s, so I have to take that with a grain of salt. I've seen a few videos of people driving with the R888Rs in the rain, but they gun it and when they get wheel spin, they're like "oh this tire is terrible in the rain". Obviously when you're putting down the torque a C7 Z06 puts down, you can't use the throttle as an on/off switch even in dry weather much less rain. What I'm looking for is anyone that has real experience driving in rain or just wet roads with the R888Rs and how they compare to the PSSs. Do you seem to hydroplane more often? Does the rear end slide out easier around a corner? My Z06 is my daily driver so "you shouldn't drive in the rain with these cars" is just going to fall on deaf ears. I've got to replace 2 wheels and I need new tires, so I figured I could get the R888Rs in the 345/30/19s and call it a win. I think the R888s would be better for wet, but it appears they've discontinued it the 19/20 sizes for our car, so I guess that's out (unless someone knows differently?). Any actual experience with these tires in the wet being shared would be greatly appreciated.

BlueDevilZ51 10-29-2018 01:20 PM

I have a Z51 with an E force making just under 600whp on R888Rs. I dont drive it in the rain but i did drive it on wet roads yesterday and it was fine. I'm sure they wouldn't have been good if i tried to accelerate hard but if you drive conservatively on wet roads they are fine.

Toddiesel 10-29-2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51 (Post 1598242440)
I have a Z51 with an E force making just under 600whp on R888Rs. I dont drive it in the rain but i did drive it on wet roads yesterday and it was fine. I'm sure they wouldn't have been good if i tried to accelerate hard but if you drive conservatively on wet roads they are fine.

Appreciate the feedback. How was it when making turns? Did you get up to highway speeds, and if so, did it feel loose or like it was sticking just fine? Hit any puddles/standing water?

f1reb1rd 10-29-2018 07:35 PM

i have 2cup in the ran. nervous as can be but i am cautious so far no issue but thats only once so far more rain ahead well see how it goes

Toddiesel 10-29-2018 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd (Post 1598244503)
i have 2cup in the ran. nervous as can be but i am cautious so far no issue but thats only once so far more rain ahead well see how it goes

I suppose thanks for the feedback, but I'm really just looking to hear experience for R888s and R888Rs. No offense, just don't want to derail the thread.

NTMD8R 10-29-2018 08:28 PM

R888 and R888R..... if it is raining, just do the speed limit, and take things easy... that will be OK
If it is POURING and a lot of standing water (little lakes)..... park it... hyroplaning will happen.
If it is merely wet, they are just fine... but just be a little judicious.

I've run the R888 on my '07 (autocross, and to/from the site), for about 6 years.
I've run the R888R on my '16 Z06..

I do speak from experiences (I live in Vancouver)

jbsblownc5 10-30-2018 12:13 AM

I've run the Toyo R888s for some time now, and currently run the R888rs on my C5 and C7 Z. As long as the tread is not too worn, and you are mindful of the wet roads, the tire will do ok when driven "normally"...

Toddiesel 10-30-2018 06:32 AM

@NTMD8R and @jbsblownc5 so you guys haven't had any issues with highway cruising with light to regular rain? Standing water is going to cause issues with any tire, especially at speed, but they seem to do as well as the PSSs (or other comparable summer max performance tire, aka non grad radial)?

SlowVet05 10-30-2018 10:59 AM

I’ve driven my R888R’s in the rain on several occasions and they’re fine. Obviously try to avoid standing water, which would be an issue with any tire.

Toddiesel 10-30-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by SlowVet05 (Post 1598247389)
I’ve driven my R888R’s in the rain on several occasions and they’re fine. Obviously try to avoid standing water, which would be an issue with any tire.

Awesome! Thanks!

Warp Factor 10-30-2018 11:28 AM

Can anybody offer an opinion on whether the grip of the stock tires and the R888R’s is about the same in the rain?
That's what I'd really like to know.

Toddiesel 10-30-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Warp Factor (Post 1598247567)
Can anybody offer an opinion on whether the grip of the stock tires and the R888R’s is about the same in the rain?
That's what I'd really like to know.

That's absolutely what I'm asking. Good way to phrase the question. Thanks.

Corvette_D 10-30-2018 02:11 PM

I have a C6 Z06 with R888Rs mounted on separate stock rims, but I would still like to answer your question even though I have the previous generation Z06.

When the tires were new, I raced in an autocross with them in the rain. To this day that was my best race ever. I placed 2nd overall, only barely missing 1st place. Those tires were awesome in the rain, and I think they'd be perfectly fine to drive in the rain for normal driving. Of course don't go crazy, but given that my car was driven very fast and handled so well in a wet parking lot makes me think you'll be perfectly fine.

I really like these tires, and once these are worn, I'll probably buy them again.

NTMD8R 10-30-2018 02:15 PM

The stock tires grip better in the rain... Period.
The R888 and R888R are NOT rain tires.
We have sort of mentioned that already.

I have moved to Continental ExrtremeContactSports for my daily driving and rain autocross.
They are SUPERB.... better than the OEM tires.
But the OEM tires are pretty good as an all-around tire.

Warp Factor 10-30-2018 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by NTMD8R (Post 1598248637)

Are the stock tires rain tires?

Corvette_D 10-30-2018 02:23 PM

We have sort of mentioned that already.

I have moved to Continental ExrtremeContactSports for my daily driving and rain autocross.
They are SUPERB.... better than the OEM tires.
But the OEM tires are pretty good as an all-around tire.

Interesting...I have to respectfully disagree here about the R888Rs and the Continental tires (no idea about C7Z stock tires). R888Rs worked perfectly fine for me autocrossing in the rain (mentioned in my post above yours), and my friend who used those Continental tires on his M4 said they were not good. When he switched, it was crazy how much better he placed from one event to another (maybe his had different compound than the ones you're using? No idea).

Toddiesel 10-30-2018 02:39 PM

Is there such a thing as "rain tires"? Maybe the Goodyear aquatreds
from back in the 90s, but I've never seen a "rain tire". PSSs suck in the rain and I expect pretty much most performance tires do. I just want to know if the R888s and R888Rs suck WORSE than the PSSs because they're obviously much better when dry so wet is really the only question. I think enough people have chimed in about their positive experience with them like Corvette D that I'm relatively confident enough to get them on my DD. Would love to hear other people's experience though (would prefer peanut gallery, generic comments that provide no information like "they're not rain tires" be left out, but everyone is entitled to post)

MJC611 10-30-2018 11:08 PM

You have your experience with the PSS tires, I will relate mine. I have a '17 Z daily driver with 33K mi.. I drove from my home in AR to HHI, SC a couple weeks ago, most of the way in the rain, and this past Friday from HHI to Highlands, NC a good part of that in the rain also. Some slight hydroplaning in standing water at highway speeds as expected. But most impressive to me was driving the Tale of the Dragon Saturday on wet road, misting not raining, temp about 50 degrees, G meter showing .7 to .8 regularly with high of .92 with no slipping. Driving in Track-Wet mode. There may be a better tire for some applications, but from may experience the PSS is an excellent all weather tire above 35 degrees

silvrhand 10-31-2018 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MJC611 (Post 1598251659)
You have your experience with the PSS tires, I will relate mine. I have a '17 Z daily driver with 33K mi.. I drove from my home in AR to HHI, SC a couple weeks ago, most of the way in the rain, and this past Friday from HHI to Highlands, NC a good part of that in the rain also. Some slight hydroplaning in standing water at highway speeds as expected. But most impressive to me was driving the Tale of the Dragon Saturday on wet road, misting not raining, temp about 50 degrees, G meter showing .7 to .8 regularly with high of .92 with no slipping. Driving in Track-Wet mode. There may be a better tire for some applications, but from may experience the PSS is an excellent all weather tire above 35 degrees

There is no way I would run the PSS on tail of the dragon on wet raining day at 50 degrees..

3 Z06ZR1 10-31-2018 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by silvrhand (Post 1598251952)
There is no way I would run the PSS on tail of the dragon on wet raining day at 50 degrees..

That is me? You got to be friggen kidding! :rofl: Or any tire in those conditions is plain foolish!