CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   What brand headers are most "quiet" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4207202-what-brand-headers-are-most-quiet.html)

Z06Norway 10-30-2018 03:45 PM

What brand headers are most "quiet"

strange question maybe.... but i f i want to remove exhaust restriction and put on headers, i do want the header set that give least "ping" sound inside and outside from engine compartment...
Maybe not a good way to explain it, but i guess thicker wall, and coating inside out will help reduce temp and noise ?

Looking to get a stealth power upgrade... :-)

Rune

HessViper 10-30-2018 04:05 PM

turbos :D

pkincy 10-30-2018 06:27 PM

I have modded many cars and nothing gives a bigger hit to good NVH than adding headers. But it gives some nice hp gains, so most put up with the noise, heat and vibration.

wonka12_98 10-30-2018 11:32 PM

Get a Prius!

:)

killerv6 10-31-2018 01:23 AM

Engine headers

The set of American Racing headers ceramic-coated inside and out my last 3 ZO6 had them on my opinions are the best

MerakiAutoworks 10-31-2018 03:29 AM

Kooks catted headers. :)

-Josh

3 Z06ZR1 10-31-2018 03:32 AM

The ones left hooked to the stock cat back. That said I prefer ARH coated 2 inch!

Corvette4ever 10-31-2018 10:57 AM

ARH mid length headers. In tour mode not much louder than stock

Z06Norway 10-31-2018 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever (Post 1598253500)
ARH mid length headers. In tour mode not much louder than stock

yeah it seems odd to worry about noise in our cars, but there is two sides...
1. i don't like the crackling noise in cabin when driving on street

2. and most important.... Europa tracks are getting real Nazi on noise level.... just see how Lou struggled.

I did a track day 2-3 weeks ago, and was black flagged after one lap..... rest of the day i had to lift out of turn 5 and leave it like that for 300+ feet..... kind of take the fun out of it...
Still smashed every one of the P car around, 991.1 GT3 and GT3 RS........
So we have a quick car.... just need to tone noise down :-)

Thanks for all reply...

Anyone want o guess how much HP i loose by staying stock exhaust ?
Lets say i upgrade to 2300, heads and cam and shoot for 750 Hp with headers.... and then dont do headers ?

anyone know ?

Rune

3 Z06ZR1 11-01-2018 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Z06Norway (Post 1598249183)
strange question maybe.... but i f i want to remove exhaust restriction and put on headers, i do want the header set that give least "ping" sound inside and outside from engine compartment...
Maybe not a good way to explain it, but i guess thicker wall, and coating inside out will help reduce temp and noise ?

Looking to get a stealth power upgrade... :-)

Rune

I say you pick your headers on the fit. I just put on ARH 2 inch and they fit perfect!

3 Z06ZR1 11-01-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by pkincy (Post 1598249990)
I have modded many cars and nothing gives a bigger hit to good NVH than adding headers. But it gives some nice hp gains, so most put up with the noise, heat and vibration.

I have headers and I have none of those problems. Great power better sound!

bullitt4110 11-01-2018 11:41 AM

If you’re looking for stealth, definitely keep cats. My non catted with valve open is insanely loud, apparently on the stock Z mufflers with valves open is just like straight pipe unlike the previous generation (c6z) bi-mode mufflers.

andreas g. 11-02-2018 06:22 PM

NONE, there all louder. I have kooks with a 2300 heartbeat , afe x tank pulley and it’s much louder than stock. When I’m in touring or 5 & 6fh gear the exhaust is closed and it’s as quiet as stock.

Z06Norway 01-06-2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by andreas g. (Post 1598269004)
NONE, there all louder. I have kooks with a 2300 heartbeat , afe x tank pulley and it’s much louder than stock. When I’m in touring or 5 & 6fh gear the exhaust is closed and it’s as quiet as stock.

Not worried for me inside the car, i worry for the nazi DB limits on more and more tracks in Europe... Last time out with stock exhaust i was forced to not accelerate out of last turn onto the straight... for 200 meters... needless to say... Laptimes are ruined ...
And travelling to tracks 10-15 hours from home only to sit in PIT is not my cup of tea :-)
So it seems i am forced to stay stock or find a solution that breathes better but reduce Db music out of rear pipes :-)

I know of a guy in Switcherland that has a setup.... it includes a set of extra CAT pipes at the outlet... looks funny, but is quiet.....

So i keep looking

fatsport 01-06-2019 12:57 PM

Have you considered Hooker shorty headers? 19 lbs lighter than the stock manifolds, and a little more power.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...your-c7-vette/

I doubt they would be much louder than stock.

MechEngr 01-06-2019 01:06 PM

Some may disagree, but I would actually call some of the really good aftermarket header and exhaust companies and get their input. You may be able to put some additional mufflers of some sort in-line somewhere in the existing system to help. It's worth a shot, they would know more about sound mitigation than we would. You never know, it may lead to a new product for all of us to use at tracks like that.

I would think noise is equal on all headers for the most part, so like others have said that decision should be made based on power, fitment, quality of construction, and metal quality.

NORCAL-SS 01-06-2019 02:13 PM

Trust meon this. Do my main cat delete and keep oem acle back proven combo.

fatsport 01-06-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS (Post 1598632855)
Trust meon this. Do my main cat delete and keep oem acle back proven combo.

How much lighter? Us track guys care about weight more than power. It’s baffling to me that all the vendors on here don’t tell us weights with there products. The C7 Z06 is an amazing car, but it’s 250lbs heavier than the previous generation.

AORoads 01-06-2019 04:38 PM

Z06Norway, I think you kind of have your answer from 1) what you've experienced even with stock exhaust in your last post above, and 2) Lou's go-round with the Ring officials. I'm sure Lou started w. a Z, added lots of hp, took off OEM headers, exhaust, and then had to keep adding back on angled exhaust, mufflers, etc. and was close to/still wasn't sufficient for the Ring officials.

Whatever you try to do, a la the Switzerland experiment fellow, keep your old stock stuff in case you have to put it back on. It may be that if this fellow makes enough of a "quiet" muffler or cat, you may be able to not only quiet down your stock headers but maybe even add aftermarket headers???? Keep us posted.

NORCAL-SS 01-06-2019 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by fatsport (Post 1598633487)

How much lighter? Us track guys care about weight more than power. It’s baffling to me that all the vendors on here don’t tell us weights with there products. The C7 Z06 is an amazing car, but it’s 250lbs heavier than the previous generation.

I'll reweigh but my main cat delete but it saved 7 pounds vs the oem catted last I checked