CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   $169,900, final price confirmed (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4207277-169-900-final-price-confirmed.html)

jimmyb 10-31-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1598255115)
Never called you a liar. I told you to get real. And Tadge's $5,000.00 comment comes from almost 16 years ago. Now go and listen to Lutz on Autoline After Hours.

You most certainly did. You said "He never said that"
16 years ago, Dave Hill was chief engineer....

dfettero 10-31-2018 03:49 PM

I am

Well Atomic Utensil: I am for one looking at getting a C8 and the starting price will be well under $100K. Oh, and my 2016 C7 A8 hasn't had any issues and 2 interior and 1 minor mechanic legitimate warranty claims settled w/o any issue.

Originally Posted by Atomic Utensil (Post 1598255341)
All well and good but who is going to spend that kind of money from a company that cant get an automatic transmission to work right after 5 model years?? Then to boot they don't want to pay for many legitimate warranty claims. I will find a better company that makes expensive luxury type cars not GM.

PCMIII 10-31-2018 03:52 PM

Geneva Motor Show, March 2019, or Shanghai, April 2019?

Since the Zora ME is designed and priced to conquer Europe and China, does it make more sense for Corvette to reveal it in Geneva in March and/or Shanghai in April?
It seems like we should have gotten more official tease photos and info by now if Detroit in January is the introduction.

Foosh 10-31-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by sluggballz (Post 1598255095)
That which can be asserted without evidence, can just as easily be dismissed without evidence.

I know someone, but can't say who
I know something but can't say how
I know this, I know that, can't tell you how, I just do.

If you know something but can't say how you know it, then keep quiet. Unless of course you just like to revel in clickbait.
The C8 section is pretty good reading for the most part, until someone posts baseless claims and gets everyone all riled up.
Yes, baseless, unless you can show source, it's baseless.
Maybe it'll be true, maybe not, but right now I just see baseless clickbait.

Fair enough, but there are good reasons why the sources of credible info can't be shared on an internet forum. Those who have been trusted with info from people in a position to know wouldn't be very trustworthy if they did so. Certain folks here and elsewhere have provided credible ballpark numbers and other information. You'll just have to wade through the noise, and pick who is likely the most credible.

A careful and intelligent reader shouldn't have too much trouble doing that.

Gadfly 10-31-2018 04:03 PM

This kind of crap happens at every launch.

When the C7 was getting ready to launch there were people here claiming that the base model would be over 80k according to "Sources". Others swore up and down that the C7 Z06 was going to start at well over 100k, and those that could see no possible way that the ZR1 was going to be under 160k.

I however believe that we will see the C8 follow every generational price jump that we have seen for the past 30 years or so; We will see a modest price bump at all trim levels following the same "If you can afford a C7 you can afford a C8" model that has kept Corvette sales up and the model alive. Yes, I am fully aware that the engine is now in the back, I am fully aware that it has a new frame design, sub-frames and suspension. So what? There is absolutely nothing that makes this mid-engine rear transmission design anymore expensive to build than the Front engine - Rear transmission layout.

My predictions:

Base: 59k
Z06: 75k
ZR1: 145k

norge1956 10-31-2018 04:04 PM

Cant figure out why you guys are building this guy's ego.

Talk about throwing out a unbaited hook !!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...120aeab545.gif

jimmyb 10-31-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1598254684)
You are actually quoting a nearly 4 year old article. Get real! Listen to the Latest Autoline Podcast where he recanted that comment. I listened to it twice.

Then you need hearing aids:
Autoline September 24, 2018
Go to 12:45 mark and listen through 13:30
Lutz says and I quote: "Take whatever C7 level and add $5,000 DOLLARS"
https://insideevs.com/bob-lutz-autoline-talks-tesla/

If this weren't so funny it would be sad.

PCMIII 10-31-2018 04:12 PM

You are only thinking about the U.S. market, Gadfly.

The Zora ME has an entirely different mission than simply being the next step in the Corvette progression over the past 65 years. Zora's purpose is to conquer the world by taking on the world's best and beating them on the track and in materials. The interior finish and design will be the best Corvette and GM have ever offered and that won't come cheap. The fit will be perfect everywhere and that will take time and money. Zora will be world class in every way and the price will reflect that.

jimmyb 10-31-2018 04:20 PM

^^^^
OK, I'll bite. How do YOU know ANY of what you just wrote?
Do me a favor, start it with IN MY OPINION and then you're golden.

OnPoint 10-31-2018 04:22 PM

The ME base model, which is what will be released first, isn't going to conquer the world. And I'd bet a bottle of Macallan 18 that the first number in the price of the base variant of the ME starts with a "6".

skank 10-31-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1598255576)
Then you need hearing aids:
Autoline September 24, 2018
Go to 12:45 mark and listen through 13:30
Lutz says and I quote: "Take whatever C7 level and add $5,000 DOLLARS"
https://insideevs.com/bob-lutz-autoline-talks-tesla/

If this weren't so funny it would be sad.

He actually said " Same Disclaimer Again, I have no knowledge of this what so ever" at 13:01 He was quoting Tadge from a private GM presentation in 2003 (Almost 16 years ago) Get over it. Your $5,000.00 number is coming from 16 years ago.

Foosh 10-31-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JDSKY (Post 1598255351)
Which is why I used the word "IF" in caps in my response. Perhaps the expanded capacity was to build an FE and an ME simultaneously, I have no idea if that's the case. While there is no official statement from GM that they are not doing this there is also a lack of any statement saying they will be doing this. Which is why the pricing speculation is such a heated topic.

If the base ME has a starting price of $85-90K on up then there would be room for the current FE in a slightly revised/updated form while keeping a $50K price of entry. If the starting price is anywhere South of that then I cannot see what the rationale would be for continuing to build the two cars.

Which begs the question. Does anybody really have a reason why they wouldn't want GM to build both cars???

I think the question is better framed, "does anybody have a reason why GM won't build both cars?" What various people want GM to do is completely irrelevant.

The most plausible reason GM won't build both FE and ME cars is that the extraordinary R&D costs of developing two totally new 2-seat, sports car models cannot be cost-justified by a financially prudent, volume manufacturer. The two-seater market is very limited, and it's nothing short of amazing that GM manages to sell 40K Corvettes annually, but they only accomplish that at the beginning of every new generation. A warmed over C7 with some cosmetic tweaks such as refreshed body panels and a few other changes won't sell well. It's played out, and almost everyone interested in purchasing one has purchased at least one, and some here have purchased 3 or more.

falcon5619 10-31-2018 04:29 PM

They should just bring back a current day version of this that doesn't catch fire and price it at $32k.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...50ac9527c8.jpg

Gadfly 10-31-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1598255581)
You are only thinking about the U.S. market, Gadfly.

The Zora ME has an entirely different mission than simply being the next step in the Corvette progression over the past 65 years. Zora's purpose is to conquer the world by taking on the world's best and beating them on the track and in materials. The interior finish and design will be the best Corvette and GM have ever offered and that won't come cheap. The fit will be perfect everywhere and that will take time and money. Zora will be world class in every way and the price will reflect that.

Yeah... I am going to very politely disagree with you there. Perhaps you forgot what the Corvette is? The Corvette is not an exotic, It is an obtainable exotic killer. The interiors are in fact getting better, but you are not going find super expensive "butter soaked goat butt" leathers here, and no, the fit will not be perfect, it will remain a mass produced car on a conventional line. Candidly GM doesn't care that much about the Euro market, or going toe to toe with a 300k Ferrari in an Italian showroom. They care about offering superior performance at prices your average working professional can afford. Sure the ZR1 tops out at 140k, but the main stream performance car, the Z06 still starts at under 80k. That isn't going to change. Take the current C7 trims, add 5k, and you will be close.

PCMIII 10-31-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1598255620)
^^^^
OK, I'll bite. How do YOU know ANY of what you just wrote?
Do me a favor, start it with IN MY OPINION and then you're golden.

Barrons.com: "The biggest near-term growth for premium luxury models will be Asia Pacific and China, Abuelsamid says, at least through the mid-2020s. In both India and China, “premium vehicles are expected to be the growth driver." The article also points out what everyone knows about the U.S. market: premium luxury vehicles are SUVs.

So Corvette needs to conquer Asia and Europe. To do that, it needs a car that will beat Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, etc. Zora can accomplish that mission on the track, but it also must have the interior to match the big boys. That costs serious money and takes time. If Zora can do all this for $170K, it will have really succeeded.

Once you understand the purpose of something, all the clues fall into place. Am I wrong about the purpose of Zora? Tell me why.

jimmyb 10-31-2018 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1598255639)
He actually said " Same Disclaimer Again, I have no knowledge of this what so ever" at 13:01 He was quoting Tadge from 2003 (Almost 16 years ago) Get over it. Your $5,000.00 number is coming from 16 years ago.

No. You said Lutz RECANTED which he very clearly DID NOT. At least get the story straight if you want to be the know it all. And the Tadge quote is from 2007, feel free to look it up. Dave Hill was chief engineer in 2003.

Anyhow, I'm done with this. Twist it around however you want so you can be right. We'll know in the price in late spring 2019.

PCMIII 10-31-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gadfly (Post 1598255695)
Yeah... I am going to very politely disagree with you there. Perhaps you forgot what the Corvette is? The Corvette is not an exotic, It is an obtainable exotic killer. The interiors are in fact getting better, but you are not going find super expensive "butter soaked goat butt" leathers here, and no, the fit will not be perfect, it will remain a mass produced car on a conventional line. Candidly GM doesn't care that much about the Euro market, or going toe to toe with a 300k Ferrari in an Italian showroom. They care about offering superior performance at prices your average working professional can afford. Sure the ZR1 tops out at 140k, but the main stream performance car, the Z06 still starts at under 80k. That isn't going to change. Take the current C7 trims, add 5k, and you will be close.

You are accurately stating the history of Corvette, but the market is very different now. SUVs dominate the U.S. market and pick-up trucks are what young men spend $60K on. Corvette in the U.S. will never again hit its peak sales of over 50K cars in 1979. China is the biggest market now and is growing fast along with the rest of Asia. Europe is the biggest market for Porsche, Ferrari, etc.

Corvette needs to conquer the world, not just dominate sports cars in the U.S. Zora is designed and built to do exactly that.

pietro c7 10-31-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1598255475)
Geneva Motor Show, March 2019, or Shanghai, April 2019?

Since the Zora ME is designed and priced to conquer Europe and China, does it make more sense for Corvette to reveal it in Geneva in March and/or Shanghai in April?
It seems like we should have gotten more official tease photos and info by now if Detroit in January is the introduction.

Just when I thought I just read you most comical post yet...you come out with an even better one...

Did you just show up on planet earth yesterday ?

vndkshn 10-31-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1598252041)
Why do you and many on this forum compare the Ford GT to the new ME?

Probably because of all of the posts like this comparing it to the Fiero as well.

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov (Post 1598252165)
Remember that the last ME car from GM sold for less than the Corvette of that time.

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1598252041)
Why would GM walk away from what made them successful for the past 60+ years, it’s not going to happen. A 169k ME from GM would be the death of BG, they would fail. How many of their loyal fans would they loose to get them to buy 169k sports car. I have purchased cars north of that price point and their are very small percentage of people that could and are willing to spend that much money on a car.

We keep hearing the ME will be powered by a push-rod motor then a year later with a dual overhead cam motor. Who is paying 169k for a pushrod powered mid engine sports car from a company that has never produced one north of 169k?Sports car market at 169k plus is more crowded than we think when compared to the amount of people willing to pay that much money for a car. Plus they are higher end exclusive luxury brands that just have a better story, dealer network with exclusive history making mid engine cars. Corvette has always been a semi affordable sport car, I say GM trying to convert it to a more exclusive higher end brand would be a tall hurdle without them addressing the Chevrolet dealer network it falls under.

Logic, History, Dedicated corvette factory, GM conservative ways just tell me you are wrong about the price being 169k. Many want a Ford GT competitor at a higher price point, I say there is no need to do it as Corvette can build one for a lot less and still beat the GT in profits and on the track.

I think the only way we see the car at that price point is basically no watered down version with a push-rod motor and standard brakes and tires. Just because the mules have been spotted with them does not prove the car will come with those brakes and tires for example. We don't know what engine(s) are in the mule, and really the only videos where you can really hear the car (the Ring videos), I'm not 100% sure what type of engine was in the car and it may not matter to GM, depending on what they were testing there.

The price point thrown out by the OP could only be explained if they are going to continue building a FE car, likely the C7, for a couple more years while a C8 car (FE) is developed which is evolutionary to the C7. I would not be at all surprised to see this ME not called (or referred to as) a C8, but as Z1.

That price point also will mandate a serious improvement in the quality and fit and finish, especially the interior. The C7's interior upgrade option finally moved the needle in the right direction, but more is needed, especially at the price point that's been thrown out by Zerv02.

EDIT: Note, I am not saying I buy the price point the OP threw out, or agree with it. I can see the argument both ways.

jimmyb 10-31-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1598255696)
Barrons.com: "The biggest near-term growth for premium luxury models will be Asia Pacific and China, Abuelsamid says, at least through the mid-2020s. In both India and China, “premium vehicles are expected to be the growth driver." The article also points out what everyone knows about the U.S. market: premium luxury vehicles are SUVs.

So Corvette needs to conquer Asia and Europe. To do that, it needs a car that will beat Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, etc. Zora can accomplish that mission on the track, but it also must have the interior to match the big boys. That costs serious money and takes time. If Zora can do all this for $170K, it will have really succeeded.

Once you understand the purpose of something, all the clues fall into place. Am I wrong about the purpose of Zora? Tell me why.

The purpose of the C8 is to take the most successful sports car in history to the next level, performance wise. To do that, it had to go mid-engine. To assume (which is what you're doing) that jumping the model up 110% in price to HOPE you can cash in on Asia Pacific's affection for high end, all the while damaging your CORE 30,000 unit/year market is plain silly. I don't think for a minute that the base C8 is going to somehow have an Aston Martin level interior. Will they offer upgraded interiors like always? Sure. But at it's core, Corvette is a SPORTS CAR first and the money spent in R&D is going to be heavily skewed towards performance, not Ferrari/Aston Martin interiors.
With each new version of the C7, after the Stingray intro, what was the purpose of the car? PERFORMANCE INCREASES.
No different from what Ferrari does. The 488 gets introduced, the next car (Pista) is what? An unbelievably luxurious 488? No. A faster version of the 488 and if anything, the Pista is LESS luxurious than the 488 to save weight.