CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   $169,900, final price confirmed (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4207277-169-900-final-price-confirmed.html)

PCMIII 11-16-2018 04:59 PM

Why are you reading my posts?

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1598347224)
You really are an unbelievable piece of work.

You don't like what I have to say? Don't read it.

PCMIII 11-16-2018 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov (Post 1598347533)
Did you even look at the photos I posted comparing the OHV V8 to the DOHC V8? How can you look a DOHC engine and think "yeah, that's not gonna be as tall as a pushrod V8?"

An old Ford engine compared to a brand new GM? Please.

jcsperson 11-16-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by tcweidner (Post 1598346647)
Disagree, car buyers are fungible. If Dodges are the fastest, and if people driving dodges can consistently smoke vette owners, it will mean something. People arent locked into one type of car. Performance buyers want fast cars period

Originally Posted by Parcival (Post 1598347176)
Btw, your use of "fungible" is wrong. It's an economic term for assets that are commoditized, ie, things can be substituted for it. It can be used for people if those people provide goods or services in a market (eg, car salesmen). Not a car buyer, who is a customer. You mean something to the effect of car buyers are not brand loyal. So, you're one of THOSE people who drop words they don't understand. Maybe a young guy, under 30, i'm guessing.

Originally Posted by tcweidner (Post 1598347325)
umm sorry my use of fungible is correct. From Websters . "capable of mutual substitution : INTERCHANGEABLE… the court's postulate that male and female jurors must be regarded as fungible— George Will

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fungible

I've got to side with Parcival here.

What is fungible is the person or thing that is capable of being replaced. In the George Will example, he means that women and men are equal under the law so the gender of the jurors is inconsequential; they're interchangeable. In your example, it's the cars that would be fungible. The performance car buyer is the consumer of the fungible asset. He or she can't be replaced or substituted. That makes no sense. It's their choice that is interchangeable.

Even in that instance one would really be stretching the definition of the word because the cars you cite are not interchangeable. Sports car guys aren't going to buy Hellcats and drag racing guys aren't going to buy a Grand Sport. If someone stole my GS and the insurance company offered to replace it with a Hellcat, I'd be pissed. Likewise a straight-line guy whose Hellcat was stolen would be pissed if it was replaced with a GS.

A better word might have been something like discerning, selective or perceptive.

Bona fides: BA English, M.Ed., have taught English for over 20 years.

Skid Row Joe 11-16-2018 05:52 PM

Fungible, is only used in economic terms of various assets. Not for cars, trucks. That's silly.

DaveFerrari458 11-16-2018 06:01 PM

umm sorry my use of fungible is correct. From Websters . "capable of mutual substitution : INTERCHANGEABLE… the court's postulate that male and female jurors must be regarded as fungible— George Will

and if you were a car guy instead of a poser, you would know car people do in fact have lots of friends, acquaintances, clubs, meet-ups, crews. You should try to get a friend some day when your not incorrectly trying to find fault with people's use of diction.

I find it amusing that some here are so closed off they dont see the reality that the hellcat and hell demon at the same price points as the new Corvette may just be siphoning off some sales, especially from the younger crowd who with this c7 corvette makeover, Chevy so desperately wants to attract.

Its so sad that fanbois like you cant even stand to hear people say they like other car brands as well... sad for you. Lots of great cars out there. I say Dodge and gasp, I must be a Dodge troll, instead of a corvette owner ( and mercedes owner... is that troll worthy as well?) who recognizes and applauds the hellcat and hell demon.

You need to lighten up a little! Why so bitter and direct insults? This is a Corvette Forum and most couldn't care less about a Dodge Challenger no matter if it had 2000 HP! They're just not in the same class as a Corvette. It's like comparing a 6 pack of Coors to a fine bottle of wine.

Parcival 11-16-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by John T (Post 1598347177)
Am I the only "middle aged" guy that loves the new Camaro? The Mustang is handsome too but I can't bear the steering feel.

The Z28 must be fun to drive on the track.
I really like the video MT put out of Cammiso and Pobst comparing it to the GT350R.

However, I think the Camaro suffers badly on aesthetics (outside and inside)...still a "guido" mobile.

Parcival 11-16-2018 06:35 PM

and if you were a car guy instead of a poser, you would know car people do in fact have lots of friends, acquaintances, clubs, meet-ups, crews. You should try to get a friend some day when your not incorrectly trying to find fault with people's use of diction.

I find it amusing that some here are so closed off they dont see the reality that the hellcat and hell demon at the same price points as the new Corvette may just be siphoning off some sales, especially from the younger crowd who with this c7 corvette makeover, Chevy so desperately wants to attract.

Its so sad that fanbois like you cant even stand to hear people say they like other car brands as well... sad for you. Lots of great cars out there. I say Dodge and gasp, I must be a Dodge troll, instead of a corvette owner ( and mercedes owner... is that troll worthy as well?) who recognizes and applauds the hellcat and hell demon.

JCSP got my drift and stated it so clearly and eloquently. You're using it incorrectly. I agree that "discerning" is a better word for the car buyer or if you made "the choice of a muscle car" fungible...

Your sentence earlier: "car buyers are fungible." Here's the new sentence for your SAT essay on the Dodge Demon when you retake it: "For the discerning car buyer, the choice of a muscle car is fungible." You went from a 550 to a 750 in that section! If you're older than I think, then you can use the newfound knowledge to get that writing job at Mopar Muscle u always wanted!

You should prob google what fanboi means because a dude inserting "Dodge" randomly in every response to a Corvette C8 topic prob fits a little better...Plus, DaveFerr is quite right: very different cars. Enjoy!

Dammit, you made me drink again (saying Dodge again):cheers:

tcweidner 11-16-2018 07:52 PM

Sports car guys aren't going to buy Hellcats and drag racing guys aren't going to buy a Grand Sport.
Actually that is my point. There are many people who arent just sports car guys and muscle guys. There both. Many consumers buy many types of cars throughout their lives. Many even have the different types at the same time. So spare me your nonsense, I know how to use the word, fungible and I used the word correctly according to Websters. You guys really need to get out more if you think the car buying public is broken down into people who only buy a certain type of car and that's that. Thats ridiculous.

that section! If you're older than I think
Age?, you're the one using an avatar that a teen age boy uses whos never been laid. Sad, maybe someone, someday will touch you, keep trying sport.

Nadovedan 11-16-2018 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by tcweidner (Post 1598347531)
But corvette is an american car sold to americans. By comparison over the last 5 years the Europeans bought 2% compared to american purchases of corvette. 2%
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...olet-corvette/

US sales versus European sales
25k to 600
30k to 700
33k to 800

so the point remains, corvette's customers are americans, and americans care about 0-60 and 1/4 mile time, so Chevy should to.

I suppose that might be the case for some in America but if you road course race 0 to 60 times aren’t as important as lateral g’s. How much downforce, suspensions, tires,
breaks, weight, etc, while hp and tq matters to some extent, it’s useless if you can’t keep the car on the road. Moreover, if you’re ever going from zero to 60 on a road course, you’ve made a few mistakes. I’ve been told a few times “sometimes you have to go slower to go faster.” You can make just about any car fast off the line. It’s not so easy to make a fast car that goes around twistys with ease. Quarter mile times don’t mean anything on a road course. Finally, GM does want to sell this car overseas. What company wouldn’t want to expand its reach. You should see the C7 z06 forumn and how often we wanted an official ring lap time.

Parcival 11-16-2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by tcweidner (Post 1598348705)
Actually that is my point. There are many people who arent just sports car guys and muscle guys. There both. Many consumers buy many types of cars throughout their lives. Many even have the different types at the same time. So spare me your nonsense, I know how to use the word, fungible and I used the word correctly according to Websters. You guys really need to get out more if you think the car buying public is broken down into people who only buy a certain type of car and that's that. Thats ridiculous.

Age?, you're the one using an avatar that a teen age boy uses whos never been laid. Sad, maybe someone, someday will touch you, keep trying sport.

You're still not grasping the concept of "fungible". Here's another example: CF members are NOT fungible... but for the discerning CF members, the choice of hot endowed female avatars vs hotrod pics IS fungible!!! I illustrated this so even YOU might get it. And btw, it's "they're" not "there."

It's true i don't get laid as much as I should because i'm happily married- 10 yrs as of this week. Your otherwise random comment is a good excuse to mention that i'm lucky my wife looks like my Avatar and I did meet her around the time she was on a mens magazine cover- that's the only reason my wife lets me put another woman's pic on my screen!

Btw, who uses "sport" anymore? Is that a Philly thing? might as well mix a "champ" in there? or, if you want to get all Great Gatsby on us, an "old sport"? Proud of u for holding back on uttering "Dodge" this time around, otherwise would be like Tourette's!!

:rofl:

tcweidner 11-16-2018 08:19 PM

Keep dreaming pal, those of us who did actually marry good looking women dont go putting on other women as our avatars like horny little lost teenagers.

oh and non sequitur, you got that wrong again too sport. The quote should of clued you in, you took digs at me as if I was young, I merely mentioned you had the juvenile avatar, therefor my comment followed the theme of age. So wrong again.

Now I got better things to do, Sixers blowing another lead... Have a great night

Parcival 11-16-2018 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by tcweidner (Post 1598348848)
Keep dreaming pal, those of us who did actually marry good looking women dont go putting on other women as our avatars like horny little lost teenagers.

oh and non sequitur, you got that wrong again too sport. The quote should of clued you in, you took digs at me as if I was young, I merely mentioned you had the juvenile avatar, therefor my comment followed the theme of age. So wrong again.

Now I got better things to do, Sixers blowing another lead... Have a great night

Is there an emoji for :Yourtailbetweenlegs:?

Ah, now I get why you're so curmudgeony, you root for the Sixers...

JDSKY 11-16-2018 09:41 PM

Have to give tcweiner some credit though. He actually managed to derail a thread that was miles off the tracks dozens of pages ago. Maybe jodge has a new 190K hellwagon coming next year....

Foosh 11-17-2018 09:41 AM

Yes, bravo!!!! This fungible food fight has certainly given us welcome relief from looney bin ME price predictions.

Zaro Tundov 11-17-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1598347763)
An old Ford engine compared to a brand new GM? Please.

I give up.

Zaro Tundov 11-17-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Parcival (Post 1598348284)
However, I think the Camaro suffers badly on aesthetics (outside and inside)...still a "guido" mobile.

I almost bought one for a winter toy, but then I realized that to properly drive a Camaro I'd need a makeover to look like this:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9b4b31491c.png

Parcival 11-17-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov (Post 1598350679)
I almost bought one for a winter toy, but then I realized that to properly drive a Camaro I'd need a makeover to look like this:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9b4b31491c.png

party in the back!!!,

:thumbs:

ArmchairArchitect 11-17-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by tcweidner (Post 1598348705)

I don't think you're getting it. A person can like both muscle cars and sports cars. But when they are shopping for a sports car, they are not going to consider any of the current Dodge products since none of them are sports cars.

Case in point: I own a Mustang Cobra, a Corvette Z06, and a Range Rover. And I like them all. When I was shopping for a muscle car, I chose the Cobra. When shopping for a sports car (read: can also handle well) I chose the Corvette, when shopping for a utilitarian vehicle I chose the Range Rover. Point is, these are all different categories of cars. One can appreciate different categories of cars, but they all serve different purposes and aren't often cross-shopped.

PCMIII 11-17-2018 10:43 AM

For All You Camaro Haters

Originally Posted by Parcival (Post 1598350698)

party in the back!!!,

:thumbs:

Detroit News, 5/15:
"General Motors Co. CEO Mary Barra is a huge Camaro fan and it was evident Saturday, as she spent extra time viewing hundreds of Chevrolet Camaros parked on Belle Isle that were part of the automaker's special 2016 Camaro reveal. Shortly after the debut, Barra was seen talking with Camaro owners, diet Coke in hand. Barra, who says the car is one of her favorites of "all time," also spent time talking to customers and car owners before the unveiling.

"When the red one rolled out, I literally got goosebumps," Barra told reporters following the debut of the sixth generation muscle car, with hundreds of Camaro owners and fans on hand. "I'm in this business for 35 years, but I got goosebumps."

Barra said she has driven the new Camaro and said the coupe is more refined, even more enjoyable to drive than the fifth-generation She said it sets a new bar for muscle cars."

tcweidner 11-17-2018 01:06 PM

But when they are shopping for a sports car
but how about when they are shopping for grown up boy toy.. They want something to drive occasionally thats really fun and fast. Muscle cars and sports cars do overlap. Maybe its just an east coast thing, but I know myself and guys like me who when they get the OK from the wife to buy an expensive toy they look at all types of cool fast cars, we tend to look at the cars and price points themselves, not so much the class of cars. In as much as, I can spend 80k, what is the coolest car I can get for that.