CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   $169,900, final price confirmed (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4207277-169-900-final-price-confirmed.html)

DaveFerrari458 01-16-2019 08:06 PM

^^^ The Corvette parked next to a Cayman looks like it's twice the money! If the Cayman was half the price of the Corvette I still wouldn't buy one! It looks like it belongs in the same class as a Nissan Z car! And Caymans can be had with discounts as well. I don't know why people think Porsche's are not discounted? You're going to the wrong dealer. I know people who have gotten massive discount on 911 Turbo Cab and the Panemara so I'm sure the lowly Cayman can be had with big discounts as well. Maybe it's a regional thing just like a lot of LA dealers were not discounting the Corvette but East Coast dealers were. Maybe it's vice-versa?

JEFFWC8 01-16-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1598699807)
You may be happy with a C8 close to $100,000 but the majority of folks buying Corvettes would not! I recall Tadge comment about what the C7 sales had to be or it would be the end of the Corvette! C6 sales had been, 11,600 in 2012, 13,500 in 2011, 12,000 in 2010! The Corvette was not viable at those leverls.

Looking at the pics of the cars in Germany, the brakes, the 305 rear tire size and the small rear spoiler- this is NOT a Ford GT killer. It will be priced closer to the C7, IMO. Now there could well be a "poor mans" Ford GT killer version with bigger carbon brakes, larger tires and a 650 hp engine. The larger size intercoolers needed, large rads, bigger coolers for the trans and engine oil would require more room and probably larger rear fenders etc. That version could well cost ~$150,000, but that is NOT want was in Germany.

We'll soon see!

Apologize if my post was unclear. I am not looking to spend "close to $100,000" if I don't have to. I am also not looking to the C8 to be a "Ford GT killer." On the flip side I'm also hoping it is not intended to simply be a 918 S killer either. If that's the case I would simply purchase a 918 and no need to wait. To be clear I am not knocking the 918 either as it is one fine driving ME car but it is missing something for me specifically since the one I priced out was $92,000 nicely equipped.

I have experience with Italian cars and as such prefer to use them as the benchmark for this car. Cars I would prefer the new ME Vette to conquer would be lightly used versions that are in the $150 - $275K range. Perhaps that's asking too much but I am basing my expectations on what the C7 has already accomplished. While I am not personally interested in an FE Vette I think this car punches at a multiple above it's price band. This is why I am willing to wait a bit longer for what will hopefully be a remarkable ME car that will deliver and make me want to spend whatever GM is asking. If that is significantly below $100K then it will be well worth the wait.

JEFFWC8 01-16-2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1598699807)
You may be happy with a C8 close to $100,000 but the majority of folks buying Corvettes would not! I recall Tadge comment about what the C7 sales had to be or it would be the end of the Corvette! C6 sales had been, 11,600 in 2012, 13,500 in 2011, 12,000 in 2010! The Corvette was not viable at those leverls.

Looking at the pics of the cars in Germany, the brakes, the 305 rear tire size and the small rear spoiler- this is NOT a Ford GT killer. It will be priced closer to the C7, IMO. Now there could well be a "poor mans" Ford GT killer version with bigger carbon brakes, larger tires and a 650 hp engine. The larger size intercoolers needed, large rads, bigger coolers for the trans and engine oil would require more room and probably larger rear fenders etc. That version could well cost ~$150,000, but that is NOT want was in Germany.

We'll soon see!

Apologize if my post was unclear. I am not looking to spend "close to $100,000" if I don't have to. I am also not looking to the C8 to be a "Ford GT killer." On the flip side I'm also hoping it is not intended to simply be a 918 S killer either. If that's the case I would simply purchase a 918 and no need to wait. To be clear I am not knocking the 918 either as it is one fine driving ME car but it is missing something for me specifically since the one I priced out was $92,000 nicely equipped.

I have experience with Italian cars and as such prefer to use them as the benchmark for this car. Cars I would prefer the new ME Vette to conquer would be lightly used versions that are in the $150 - $275K range. Perhaps that's asking too much but I am basing my expectations on what the C7 has already accomplished. While I am not personally interested in an FE Vette I think this car punches at a multiple above it's price band. This is why I am willing to wait a bit longer for what will hopefully be a remarkable ME car that will deliver and make me want to spend whatever GM is asking. If that is significantly below $100K then it will be well worth the wait.

Quinten33 01-16-2019 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458 (Post 1598700145)
^^^ The Corvette parked next to a Cayman looks like it's twice the money! If the Cayman was half the price of the Corvette I still wouldn't buy one! It looks like it belongs in the same class as a Nissan Z car! And Caymans can be had with discounts as well. I don't know why people think Porsche's are not discounted? You're going to the wrong dealer. I know people who have gotten massive discount on 911 Turbo Cab and the Panemara so I'm sure the lowly Cayman can be had with big discounts as well. Maybe it's a regional thing just like a lot of LA dealers were not discounting the Corvette but East Coast dealers were. Maybe it's vice-versa?

Yeah, Porsche’s are definitely discounted. There’s a 718 and a 718 GTS in my high school parking lot. Two seniors with better cars than any school employee. It’s ridiculous.

Skid Row Joe 01-17-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by JEFFWC8 (Post 1598699184)
I have been under the impression the base will be the initial offering and will be under $100K. If the base starts at above that mark perhaps it could option up significantly more but I have a hard time believing this. I'm all in for a base C8 under the $100K mark. I might consider a higher price point even for a base model but depending just how capable the vehicle ends up being. I have considered used Italians but those cars at under $200K carry an ownership premium that keeps me from writing the check.

A new $100K list C8 base, will be had @ -20% off MSRP by the time I probably would be interested in one. My new 2017 Stingray $76K+ MSRP was bought in the low $60s out-the-door, after -20% discount. A $100K base C8 doesn't scare me away. What scares me away are exotic maintenance dollars. That's the only reason I'll likely stay with an American brand sports car. Value. Bang for the buck.

jcp911s 01-17-2019 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Quinten33 (Post 1598700284)

Yeah, Porsche’s are definitely discounted. There’s a 718 and a 718 GTS in my high school parking lot. Two seniors with better cars than any school employee. It’s ridiculous.

An OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to believe that some spoiled rich kid's daddy might be able to buy a more expensive car than a school teacher.

C7GrandSportC7 05-08-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zerv02 (Post 1598250858)
This will be a global car, an American GT to compete/rival the likes of Porsche, Mclaren, the Italians ext.

I don't think so. It may perform as well, but a relatively high-volume assembly-line vehicle will never compete with something like a McLaren when it comes to materials and build quality.

fyreline 05-08-2019 05:02 PM

$169,900?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6df57ddf8b.png

redvetracr 05-08-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by jcp911s (Post 1598707397)
An OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to believe that some spoiled rich kid's daddy might be able to buy a more expensive car than a school teacher.

buy or lease?

SFCA1968 05-08-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Zerv02 (Post 1598250703)
$169,900 is a go,

if your in the "under 100k" camp, you will be disappointed.

Let the madness ensue......

And to toss this in, Updated sketch, posted on another thread but the initial catastrophe I made is the one thats making the roundabouts,

UPDATE:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...97447343b.jpeg

stop drinking the bong water. There is no way they would stay in business with that price even for a ME ZR1!

Jimp94605 05-08-2019 05:20 PM

Buy a Tesla they are faster 0 to 60 game over

ViperFan1 05-08-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SFCA1968 (Post 1599366922)
stop drinking the bong water. There is no way they would stay in business with that price even for a ME ZR1!

You are horribly uninformed or unprepared for the price..

It's not designed to continue on the same C7 just with an engine replacement.

Everything will (IMO) be improved over all of the C7's..

Now.. for the bolded section. A FRONT ENGINE ZR1 currently costs up to 155k..

What's with all these armchair engineers? Does everyone honestly think relocating the engine to the back of the car is just a cosmetic mod? This is a 6 figure car no doubt about it.. now how low or high is still up in the air but I can't see the entry base model under 120k and even 120k sounds too low..

We will all see..

Common sense> hope.

Jimp94605 05-08-2019 05:32 PM

At 6 figure base ME8 Corvette is not going to happen, remember its still a Chevy

z8ra 05-08-2019 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ViperFan1 (Post 1599366970)

What's with all these armchair engineers? Does everyone honestly think relocating the engine to the back of the car is just a cosmetic mod? This is a 6 figure car no doubt about it.. now how low or high is still up in the air but I can't see the entry base model under 120k and even 120k sounds too low..

We will all see..

Common sense> hope.

The engine was relocated for performance reasons primarily since with higher horsepower engine placement became an increasingly limiting factor.
The cost of moving the engine to rear-mid is only about 5 or 6 thousand dollars, as per the current chief engineer himself.
Look at the brakes on the prototypes, that and other clues tell you most of those are base models and it is very unlikely they will cost more than 100k. A more realistic figure considering the number of units corvette will want to produce, is more like $10,000-ish more than last years base car.. thats a rough figure, it may be a tadge more or a tadge less, but nowhere near 120k for the base model unoptioned. Now, I think they will probably go increasingly porsche-like with the options, so you may reach a point where you could end up adding a ridiculous amount in options, but even in that case and fully loaded, it probably wont hit 120k, though if GM gets really really really porschey it may be possible... I do feel they are heading in that direction.

saleen556 05-08-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jimp94605 (Post 1599366952)
Buy a Tesla they are faster 0 to 60 game over

Zero to sixty is for kids🤣. Honestly who cares about that. It’s not exhilarating at all.

Sub Driver 05-08-2019 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ViperFan1 (Post 1599366970)

We will all see..

Common sense> hope.

Sorry but you don't have any common sense. There is no reason to believe the base C8 will be a six figure car.

tcinla 05-08-2019 06:51 PM

:beatdeadhorse:

Jimp94605 05-08-2019 07:00 PM

Nobody has a clue here on the cost...:crazy:

ViperFan1 05-08-2019 07:12 PM

under 100k = pipe dream.

"Remember it's a Chevy"..

So was the 2009 ZR1..

ViperFan1 05-08-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by z8ra (Post 1599367235)
The engine was relocated for performance reasons primarily since with higher horsepower engine placement became an increasingly limiting factor.
The cost of moving the engine to rear-mid is only about 5 or 6 thousand dollars, as per the current chief engineer himself.
Look at the brakes on the prototypes, that and other clues tell you most of those are base models and it is very unlikely they will cost more than 100k. A more realistic figure considering the number of units corvette will want to produce, is more like $10,000-ish more than last years base car.. thats a rough figure, it may be a tadge more or a tadge less, but nowhere near 120k for the base model unoptioned. Now, I think they will probably go increasingly porsche-like with the options, so you may reach a point where you could end up adding a ridiculous amount in options, but even in that case and fully loaded, it probably wont hit 120k, though if GM gets really really really porschey it may be possible... I do feel they are heading in that direction.

I'm going to jump off the cliff and say that putting the engine in the rear is such a task.. that thinking it only amounts to a 10k increase is a lucid psychical pipe dream.

I am going to guess that there will be only 10k units max per year, they will be mostly HAND ASSEMBLED.. and cost a fortune.

I can't see 55k mid engine cars being produced per year.. they would have done that years ago if the only increase in production would amount to a 10k jump on the MSRP..

there is a reason why every mid engine car (exclude porsche please.. those aren't engines.) costs well over 100k..