CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] How does an accident affect the price (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4208004-how-does-an-accident-affect-the-price.html)

txs_mde_87 11-01-2018 08:53 PM

How does an accident affect the price

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8e29ad825.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...47d827951.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7d169cb98.jpeg
The 2001 I'm getting is 15k dollars, 66k miles all stock except kooks headers, X pipe and corsa extreme.

Had a rear end accident no other details than a carfax note from back in 07. I got the loan just waiting to pick it up but it does have a clean title. It's passed inspection every year but I doubt it'll get any cheaper than that. Other than finding a crack in the frame does it really affect anything? Doubt I'll be re selling any time soon.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...592952cef.jpeg

randy ransome 11-01-2018 09:38 PM

Get the car, drive it often, have Fun. Don't let that accident bother you everything will be fine...Enjoy

:flag:

txs_mde_87 11-01-2018 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by randy ransome (Post 1598263956)
Get the car, drive it often, have Fun. Don't let that accident bother you everything will be fine...Enjoy

:flag:

that's what I figured lol. Thanks

Vetteman Jack 11-01-2018 10:30 PM

Have you talked to a competent body shop about the consequences of the cracked frame? If they say its not a problem, then don't let it keep you from pulling the trigger on the purchase. Perhaps they can weld it for you if it is a minor crack.

I will say the car looks very nice and the price is not bad. And as you said, the title is clean.

txs_mde_87 11-01-2018 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1598264229)
Have you talked to a competent body shop about the consequences of the cracked frame? If they say its not a problem, then don't let it keep you from pulling the trigger on the purchase. Perhaps they can weld it for you if it is a minor crack.

I will say the car looks very nice and the price is not bad. And as you said, the title is clean.

No there isn't a cracked frame... I was saying unless I went and checked and fouanda cracked frame I wouldn't have hesitation.

No cracked anything found yet lol

DDaaryl 11-02-2018 08:11 AM

So if there were two similar cars for sale, one clean and one with accident history everyone would lean towards buying the vehicle which was never damaged. Even if it's fixed correctly there are still some concerns about paint match and aging. The car would even minor damage history would likely bring less money. Many new car dealers won't consider reselling a previously damaged and they go right to auction. That's why they do Carfax at trade in time. Good luck!

txs_mde_87 11-02-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by DDaaryl (Post 1598265352)
So if there were two similar cars for sale, one clean and one with accident history everyone would lean towards buying the vehicle which was never damaged. Even if it's fixed correctly there are still some concerns about paint match and aging. The car would even minor damage history would likely bring less money. Many new car dealers won't consider reselling a previously damaged and they go right to auction. That's why they do Carfax at trade in time. Good luck!

As you can see from the pictures there isn't any crazy visible damage or paint issues. Accident was in 2007 so I'm sure if something would of showed up it would of by now.

The car has been sold 3 times at dealers since then, so I dont think that's an issue, I actually rear ended a accord(bastard cut me off and didnt see the brake lights of the car in front of him and had to slam on his) in my base c6 and other than a few scuffs there was am accident on the report and dealer didnt even ask about it.

I think for 15k and the mileage I'll be alright I just never looked at Corvette with an accident on the report before.

My Vette Life 11-02-2018 03:16 PM

I can help you out.
The chevy dealership i got my car from said it had a rear end "bump" and thats why it had a small paint fill in.

We'll 1 year later i discovered the REAL truth to the accident on the carfax. After trying to replace the stock headlight bulb, i noticed a broken tab on the headlight hat/cover. This is on the passenger side, it was no big deal to me.

Shortly after, i took off the front wheels to inspect the brakes and on the passenger side on the right side of the upper A-arm was someone name. "Joe"

Upon the surprise there was clear sign of frame damage. Why? Because you can clearly see the frame had been worked on and that black bonding/glue was spewing onto the bolt on the upper A-Arm.

this was 2013 and the car had 49k looked GREAT. I personally would say the car should been declared a TOTAL LOSS and have a Rebuilt title.

If you cannot see the damage and or have no idea what damage was done, OFFER LESS than the asking price. You dont know if the car will last 6 months after you purchased it.

I personally dont think its worth the asking price no matter what mods it has.

Also part of the passenger side rocker panel had been screwed in and repainted which i didnt noticed.

txs_mde_87 11-02-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by My Vette Life (Post 1598267982)
I can help you out.
The chevy dealership i got my car from said it had a rear end "bump" and thats why it had a small paint fill in.

We'll 1 year later i discovered the REAL truth to the accident on the carfax. After trying to replace the stock headlight bulb, i noticed a broken tab on the headlight hat/cover. This is on the passenger side, it was no big deal to me.

Shortly after, i took off the front wheels to inspect the brakes and on the passenger side on the right side of the upper A-arm was someone name. "Joe"

Upon the surprise there was clear sign of frame damage. Why? Because you can clearly see the frame had been worked on and that black bonding/glue was spewing onto the bolt on the upper A-Arm.

this was 2013 and the car had 49k looked GREAT. I personally would say the car should been declared a TOTAL LOSS and have a Rebuilt title.

If you cannot see the damage and or have no idea what damage was done, OFFER LESS than the asking price. You dont know if the car will last 6 months after you purchased it.

I personally dont think its worth the asking price no matter what mods it has.

Also part of the passenger side rocker panel had been screwed in and repainted which i didnt noticed.

I understand, but like i said it happened 11 years and it's running like a top. With visual inspection nothing was found but thanks.

Iank 11-07-2018 10:49 AM

I appraise cars for a living at a Ford dealership. When we trade a car with an accident on the Carfax, we usually deduct 10-20% from the normal trade in value. Simple fact is those cars bring less money on resale. Most buyers shy away from accident history cars. If resale value isn't a big concern for you, buy it and enjoy the car!

Stockvette03 11-07-2018 08:27 PM

I would never let an accident take my eye off that z06 for 15k. Forget what people say about price etc. if you saw it and love it and can afford it, drive the shiiiiii out of it! If it passes visual, drives straight at 70mph on flat ground, and makes you happy, i think shes the one for ya.

road pilot 11-08-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by DDaaryl (Post 1598265352)

I disagree. If a car is fixed correctly it will be very, very hard for the layman to see the damage. A lot of the pro's would not see the damage. Most body repairs are quick fix. A true repair will be labor intensive and expensive,

txs_mde_87 11-08-2018 04:24 PM

Car drives fine up to 160ish its smooth and firm. My wife says what suspension is on it it because it feels like my 600 hp Subaru's not like my stock suspension c6 z06s.

I haven't put it on a lift I will this weekend though. I feel like 15 for the car at trade it is where it would be if I had to sell it any time soon, resale I would go a little higher

Route99 11-08-2018 04:33 PM

As you point out, 11 years since the accident and sold through 3 dealers since then, would take away some of my concern about buying it, especially if you plan on keeping it long term. We all know C5s are not a portfolio investment, so take advantage of a lower price due to the accident history and enjoy it. :steering:

Krusty84 11-08-2018 05:59 PM

There are too many accident free C5 Z06s in that mileage range in Texas that are just around the same price or just a few grand more. I went and looked at several last winter. No way I would buy that car, especially if it has been sold at dealerships 3 times since the accident. The history on the car points to it being traded in because no individuals wanted to buy it.

One of the cars I looked at in December 2017 was a black 2001 Z06 with 70k, completely stock, one owner, no accident history and the guy was asking $14500. It was very clean, guy had all the records etc.. I looked at it for about an hour and when I was leaving another interested party showed up with an envelope full of cash. Got a text about 10 minutes later that it sold. Seller was taking delivery on a new Z06 and he said the dealer offered him well less than his asking price for the trade in.

Dave1 11-08-2018 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty84 (Post 1598303728)

There are too many accident free C5 Z06s in that mileage range in Texas that are just around the same price or just a few grand more.
I went and looked at several last winter.
No way I would buy that car, especially if it has been sold at dealerships 3 times since the accident.
The history on the car points to it being traded in because no individuals wanted to buy it.

:iagree:

cv67 11-08-2018 10:22 PM

AFter that many years the car is probably fine. Lots that have had accidents with clean Carfax...as said just have fun with it
To some any scratch is taboo, most that have been on the planet awhile know stuff happens.

15k is ok $ but for say 2k more you can buy a super nice stocker thats never been touched.
If youlike the mods this one has maybe its for you .

2TONE82 11-09-2018 11:31 AM

Not much help in your situation but here's my experience. My Z16 has two minor accidents about five years apart and both would show on a carfax as insurance was involved.. One required replacement of the front bumper but no other parts. I have numerous pictures of before, during and after the repair. I have pictures documenting the GM bumper prior to repainting and a lifetime transfer from body shop for paint work. The other accident required painting the drivers door (got backed into and hairline crack in the door skin). Again, numerous pictures before, during and after of the work and a lifetime transferable warranty. I really had no other option but to repair and both very minor. However, selling the cars won't be my problem...it will be our daughters problem after I'm gone because I'm keeping them!

johno504 11-09-2018 08:51 PM

years ago I was a ford dealership body shop asst. mgr. we had a saying " Ain't NO second like the first"

ASRoff 11-11-2018 03:00 AM

I bought a 2002 Z with a "rebuild" title... car was rear ended by a 1500 Chevy truck. it cracked the rear bumper cover and the tub.... guy I bought it from had full pictures of before and after and had the frame checked (no damage) by a chevy dealer... I used to work for the budd company.. The photos all showed the SMC was properly repaired. and my personal inspection confirmed it. so the deal was done... I bought a 44k mile Z for 15 grand... I plan to drive the wheels off of it …. them put them back on and drive some more... If you have proper documentation then buy it... how ever If not then,,,,,, I would take it to a dealer and have them check the frame.