CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Car to sit for two months. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4209481-car-to-sit-for-two-months.html)

BillytheKidder 11-06-2018 05:22 AM

Car to sit for two months.

Ladies and gentlemen, your thoughts, please.

We are going to be leaving our car in Fort Lauderdale, probably until after the beginning of the year (first week of January). Because of where it is parked, putting it on the tender is not an option, the cord would cross sidewalks and the tender would be exposed to theft. The only time I have used the tender is for winter storage, I do not routinely use it when parked in our garage, as the car gets used frequently. I have never had a battery problem leaving the car for a week or ten days at a time when we travel. I don't know what might happen after that amount of time.

Should I:
1. Disconnect the battery, take it into the house and put it on the tender (should I be concerned about acidic fumes).
2. Just leave it in the car, hope for the best and put it on the tender, if needed, when we return. I can connect the tender without opening the hood.
3. Disconnect the battery and leave it in the car.

Dman302 11-06-2018 05:35 AM

Leave on tender? It’s only two months.

BlindSpot 11-06-2018 05:56 AM

Two months, given the conditions in Fla, I think there is a 50/50 chance you'll be fine if the battery is in good/newer condition already.

If it were me, and I had the option to pull the battery and bring it in to a secure place with a tender like a Ctek, I'd probably do that....and the car is a tiny bit more theft proof if in an unsecured place outside.

FAUEE 11-06-2018 07:15 AM

Just disconnect the battery and let it sit. Leaving the car sitting for 2 months, the battery is the least of your problems.

C6 Snowboarder 11-06-2018 10:55 AM

How about finding a place that allows storage in doors for that time period.. small price to pay.

Homer3D 11-06-2018 11:11 AM

Solar powered battery tender.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e6d62f052d.jpg

Patriot Six 11-06-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598287036)
Just disconnect the battery and let it sit. Leaving the car sitting for 2 months, the battery is the least of your problems.

This^^

Ericm1949 11-06-2018 12:12 PM

I agree with above. Disconnect the negative battery lead & leave the battery in the car. It will be fine. You might want to add fuel stabilizer to your gas when you top it up prior to parking it.

Welker1 11-06-2018 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598287036)

:iagree: +1. Battery should be fine sitting disconnected for 2 months. Just make sure you have your emergency access key to open everything up when you get back before locking it up.

NY09C6 11-06-2018 12:26 PM

Disconnect the battery and leave it in the car would be my choice.

John Harry 11-06-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Welker1 (Post 1598288739)
:iagree: +1. Battery should be fine sitting disconnected for 2 months. Just make sure you have your emergency access key to open everything up when you get back before locking it up.

And try the key to make sure it works.

pauly1119 11-06-2018 12:44 PM

I live in South Fl also and my car sits for 6 weeks at times before I have the time to drive it. It will be fine never had a issue. I would be more concerned about leaving my car in Ft Lauderdale for that long. Don't take the battery out and tender it. If anything just disconnect it.

Adam Cifonelli 11-06-2018 12:50 PM

My car sits for 4-5 months. I do nothing special but a little more air in tires.. full tank of gas.. the start and let it run for 5-10 mins every few weeks. Sooo many people people here take this storage thing wayyy to seriously.

BillytheKidder 11-06-2018 03:14 PM

Thanks for the comments and advice.
I disconnected the battery and put the cover on it. The key works. Off to Northern Ohio.

saplumr 11-06-2018 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli (Post 1598288962)
Sooo many people people here take this storage thing wayyy to seriously.

No disrespect but taking it serious is a legit situation.

Adam Cifonelli 11-06-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1598289912)
No disrespect but taking it serious is a legit situation.

Maybe I should have said "Over complicate".

endus 11-06-2018 05:29 PM

If you're worried about leaving it on a tender in the house just disconnect it and let it sit.

919cw313 11-06-2018 05:33 PM

^ I agree people over complicate it.

Ill also say you’re doing more harm than good by letting your car run 5-10 minutes. Let it sit.

Oh Boy 11-06-2018 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli (Post 1598289928)
Maybe I should have said "Over complicate".

No you said it right the first time. Especially the people that store it for the winter. It always seems like they brag about it to the point they enjoy storing it more than driving it. I bought my '13 GS new and live in N.Y. I don't have a garage, just a private parking spot and my car sits buried under snow all the time. I have never driven it in snow but it does get snowed on and you know what? My car looks no different for wear than the garaged winter stored ones. Still shines like glass and I haven't waxed it for three years!

449er 11-06-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Boy (Post 1598291139)
No you said it right the first time. Especially the people that store it for the winter. It always seems like they brag about it to the point they enjoy storing it more than driving it. I bought my '13 GS new and live in N.Y. I don't have a garage, just a private parking spot and my car sits buried under snow all the time. I have never driven it in snow but it does get snowed on and you know what? My car looks no different for wear than the garaged winter stored ones. Still shines like glass and I haven't waxed it for three years!

Unless you cover your car with a weatherproof cover, the sun & elements will take their toll on your car...the paint, interior, etc. there is no way that your car looks "no different" than a garaged car, you are fooling yourself