CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 GS Approach Angle - 15 degree driveway (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4209574-c7-gs-approach-angle-15-degree-driveway.html)

HYPRACTV 11-06-2018 11:04 AM

C7 GS Approach Angle - 15 degree driveway

Long time since I've been on this board. Long time since I've owned a Corvette.

I am looking at picking up a C7 GS. Does any know or has anyone measured the approach angle of the C7 GS? Googling around I found 18.5 degrees, however, I am not sure how accurate that is. I looked at a few posts on here as well but all inconclusive.

I have a fairly steep drive way that goes from 8 degrees to 15 degrees before flattening out at the top. I think that I can pull it off using race ramps or perhaps rolling up at an angle but it's gonna be really close.

Any measurements with pics that can be provided would be excellent.

Just found this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...clearance.html

Thanks!

GoatHead 11-06-2018 11:49 AM

I have a steep driveway, and that is how I figured how to get my car to the garage. I did this, before I bought the Vette.

The front nose clearance on Stage II GS is about 4 1/4", and the wheel base is about 107". We have a Honda Civic with a very similar wheelbase (106"). I cut a long strip of cardboard and attached it to the front of the Civic to make a nose clearance of 4 1/4". I drove up and down the driveway from different location and angles. I had someone observing and letting me know when the cardboard scrap the driveway. The car cleared the right side of the driveway, front first, with 1/2" to spare on one side and 1" to spare on the other, but I have to drive it slowly and make sure the suspension doesn't bottom out too much. I installed a ProTek skid blade for added security.

69L79 11-06-2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by HYPRACTV (Post 1598288293)

I am looking at picking up a C7 GS. Does any know or has anyone measured the approach angle of the C7 GS? Googling around I found 18.5 degrees, however, I am not sure how accurate that is. I looked at a few posts on here as well but all inconclusive.

I have a fairly steep drive way that goes from 8 degrees to 15 degrees before flattening out at the top. I think that I can pull it off using race ramps or perhaps rolling up at an angle but it's gonna be really close.

Thanks!

Fix your driveway.

HYPRACTV 11-06-2018 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 89L98 (Post 1598288748)
Fix your driveway.

If I could only I would have done so 4 years ago. ...and no, moving is not an option.

KenHorse 11-06-2018 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by HYPRACTV (Post 1598288293)

Thanks!

Can't pull into your driveway at a 45 degree angle?

HYPRACTV 11-06-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1598289595)
Can't pull into your driveway at a 45 degree angle?

That's a fantastic question! I need to go for a test drive and bring it to my house to find out. I don't know anyone off hand with a C7. I guess I can always ask my father in law to try it with his C5.

AP

Gearhead Jim 11-06-2018 02:40 PM

As GoatHead implied, there are different front splitter options for the GS and some are lower than others.
Also, ride heights vary significantly from one C7 to another, even with the same options. They can be adjusted somewhat.
Measure carefully and drive in carefully the first few times, especially with a big passenger.

Enjoy the car!

vader86 11-06-2018 03:36 PM

I'd try to pull in catty-corner like at an angle

changw1 11-06-2018 04:13 PM

Turn on the track mode could also help when approaching a steep driveway. I have a GS also.

dony45 12-15-2018 12:07 AM

C7 GS Approach Angle - 15 degree driveway

I have not scraped the bottom of my car on any drive way except my own and I didn't think it was that steep. The problem is not driving up it since it can take it at an angle but backing out of it I pretty much have to drive straight back and it scrapes the front everytime. Since it scrapes the bottom edge you don't see the damage and it's pretty minor. I figure if it gets bad enough I'll just replace it. That was one of the first thing the dealer told me that it was replaceable. I did see a solution where they make a ramp that you install at the front of your drive way. It has an opening underneath it for water drainage. I didn't like the way it looks so passed on that idea.

LIStingray 12-15-2018 01:44 PM

The GS with any splitter is fairly intolerant of steep drives - if it really is 15 degrees, which is very steep, you are screwed. the approach angle on a suburban is 15.5 degrees, and it has far more clearance than a C7 without any splitter.

RecklessOp 12-16-2018 10:29 AM

I couldnt tell you the exact angle, but my driveway is steep enough that any time I get a delivery or it's someone's first time at my house, I get the "wow that must be awful in the winter" remark like clockwork. It is brutal. I have a Z51 with front splitter and was terrified the day I drove home from the dealer. Turns out it was fine.

Use the further away side of your garage to park, approach at an angle, and it will be better than you think. Backing out is the only time I hear the air dam scrape, once in a while I'll rub the splitter lip if I'm not careful. I never scrape going up but do spin the tires once in a while at the curb.

TXSteveF 12-16-2018 11:11 AM

I back in at a 45 degree angle really close to the edge of the driveway where it meets the curb. When the front end gets close I cut It so the front wheel goes up the driveway edge/curb and that raises the front enough to work well. Hope that made some sense. Once I got accustomed to doing this it became really easy.

69 L46 4 Speed 12-17-2018 08:31 AM

I had a 2013 GS convertible and it scrapped all of the time on the transition from the street to my driveway. So much so that I had to buy a replacement splitter at 30,000 miles because it looked like someone took a cheese grater to it. Now we have a 2019 GS convertible and it does not scrape at all if the tires are at 32 PSI. At 30 the air dam ends just barely scrape. The splitter doesn't even come close to the concrete.

Texas1 12-17-2018 10:46 PM

I have to put a 2x8x8 at the end of my driveway and go at a 45. Without the board I bottom out on the nose.

TKgs2010 12-18-2018 12:37 AM

I have a ZO6 with Level 3 Aero and my front splitter clears by just over 5 1/2". My driveway is fairly steep, but the issue is at the curb where there is a drainage swale where the driveway meets the street. After doing a lot of measuring I found that I can safely get my C6 GS and C7 ZO6 in and out by by going in and out at about a 45 degree departure angle, no Bridjit or ramps needed, as long as I take it slowly.