CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   C5 modernization (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4209784-c5-modernization.html)

Jimmy Batista 11-06-2018 09:22 PM

C5 modernization

Hey guys,

This has probably been asked before, but I just bought my first C5, and I absolutely love it. I'm over my fear of driving when I'm behind the Wheel. However, I'm looking to personalize my baby, starting with some modernization..i.e: upgrading sound system, adding backup camera, ect.

I'm asking because I'm looking at parts and would like your guys input of your own projects and parts used. I'm a little nervous because if I go out and buy a part, it might be non compatible, hoping to hear from ya.

Cheers.

Pounder 11-06-2018 09:27 PM

I already had a DD bezel, and I just added a Android Radio, it has everything !!!!!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...52fc3964ff.jpg

Jimmy Batista 11-06-2018 09:30 PM

That's really nice, the AC knobs are kickass. Did you keep the default Bose sound system? What else do you have up in there?

Pounder 11-06-2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy Batista (Post 1598292108)
That's really nice, the AC knobs are kickass. Did you keep the default Bose sound system? What else do you have up in there?

AC knobs are C 6 from E-bay, yes I kept the Bose ( a lot of people don't like them, but I do !!!) MGW Flat sick with lower box, complete interior is sound and heat proofed with Fat Mat from Amazon !!! have a ton of mods done to this car, balancer just went to crap so now it's time for cam and heads !!!!! (it NEVER ends) !!!!

RIKKI Z-06 11-06-2018 09:35 PM

C6 hvac knobs, WTF. Just kidding. Looking good pounder. :cheers:

Pounder 11-06-2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by RIKKI Z-06 (Post 1598292144)
C6 hvac knobs, WTF. Just kidding. kidding good pounder. :cheers:

I know, I know !!!!:rofl::rofl:

RIKKI Z-06 11-06-2018 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pounder (Post 1598292152)
I know, I know !!!!:rofl::rofl:

:thumbs:

Jimmy Batista 11-06-2018 09:40 PM

Great, now I'm going on a shopping spree.. making me feel like a 16 year old with daddy's credit card at the mall ;p

GCG 11-06-2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy Batista (Post 1598292059)
...I'm looking to personalize my baby, starting with some modernization..i.e: upgrading sound system, adding backup camera, etc...

For a ​​​​Double-DIN headunit you will need a Double-DIN bezel. Vettenuts offers one that is topnotch, but not inexpensive. There's a less expensive option, although not at the same quality level, from Metra. You may want to compare them before making a decision.

Regarding the headunit, these are basically the main options available. If you want to keep the Bose infrastructure, Option 4 is the way to go.
  1. Replace just the headunit, leaving the rest of the system intact using
  2. Keep the headunit, but replace everything else adding a multichannel external amp driving new speakers through new wires by using
  3. Replace just the 4 twiddlers with 2-way coaxial speakers leaving the rest of the system intact
  4. Combine 1 and 3
  5. Take everything out and replace all from scratch

That being said, without a doubt, the easiest and least expensive way to upgrade the system with the more bang for your buck is new speakers that can be bolted on in place of the factory ones, keeping the rest of the system intact.

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers". That's why you can make a big improvement by replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.

OEM C5 Speaker Sizes:

-Front
Twiddler: 3.5"
Subwoofer: 8"

-Rear Twiddler
Coupe: 6.5"
FRC/Z06/Convertible: 5.25"

For bolt-on speaker upgrades, get 3.5" 2-way coaxial speakers to replace the doors' twiddlers and 2-way coaxials of the right size for the rear. Don't touch the OEM subwoofers.

A quick search produced this:

JL Audio Evolution™ C2 Series 2-way car speakers:
  • C2-350X (3-1/2")
  • C2-525X (5-1/4")
  • C2-650X (6-1/2")

Not only they are from the same manufacturer, but they all belong to the same line. This should reasonably assure you they have the same timbre.

You are going to need as well. One kit will do both rears.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...028d50bba5.jpg

Independent confirmation that upgrading the 4 twiddlers makes a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade.

Vetteman Jack 11-06-2018 11:59 PM

You'll get plenty of opinions on which system is the best for your car. Just take your time, do your research and then decide. You may also want to get some input from the Audio/Electronics section of the forum.

Ramets 11-07-2018 12:17 PM

Do we ever stop with the mods? Just when I think I have it where I want it, up pops another cool addition.

C5Dobie 11-07-2018 12:26 PM

Short list of best "modernization" mods:

MGW shifter w/ lower box + dynamat over tunnel
Radioflyer headlights
LED taillights
swap out speakers for higher end + dynamat/sound deadening in doors/behind seats
Swap out head unit for DD or new stereo w/ bluetooth mic
Leather replacements for shift boot/parking brake
Steering wheel swap
seat swap
wheel swap/upgrade to C6 style or 18"s front/19"s rear
lowered some on stock bolts
Rear tray/partition - particularly on FRC's or Z06 models

These are pretty much the most significant mods you can do to "modernize" a C5 IMO - and I've done some myself (headlights/shifter/dynamat/stereo)

Enjoy!

rgsGarage 11-07-2018 12:37 PM

I had a pretty good case of wanting to modernize myself. I did several of the things including stereo, seats, MGW shifter, etc. You can see a lot of it in this thread I did a while back - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

zeevette 11-07-2018 01:14 PM

If you like smoking tires, I recommend an A&A supercharger kit. Hey Pounder, that's what you need. :D

UM Rebel 11-07-2018 01:44 PM

I kept the stock Bose amp and speakers. Used the PAC ROEM VET1 interface to an after market single din touch screen BT CD DVD and backup cam. It's easy install pretty much plug and play.I am pleased with the sound and all the functions. Setup on the head unit was a PITA. I'm guessing a 12 year old would have had no trouble with it. The touchscreen flips up in front of the A/C vents but that's ok because I only use the screen when backing up. Other times keep the screen folded in. I went with this head unit http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLTS78D...io,-Single-DIN

PS. I did not pay anything close to the $419.99 in that ad. :cool:

Pounder 11-07-2018 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by zeevette (Post 1598295272)
If you like smoking tires, I recommend an A&A supercharger kit. Hey Pounder, that's what you need. :D

when I first got my Vette I wanted to SC it, waaaay to much money !!!!!! have LS 6 intake and headers, now cam and 243 heads are in the works along with a M12 trans, should make it fun for maybe a year ?????:willy::willy::willy:

zeevette 11-07-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pounder (Post 1598295655)
when I first got my Vette I wanted to SC it, waaaay to much money !!!!!! have LS 6 intake and headers, now cam and 243 heads are in the works along with a M12 trans, should make it fun for maybe a year ?????:willy::willy::willy:

When I got my kit, I talked to Andy at A&A, and he built me a custom kit for under $5k. I get 8.5 lbs of boost with the stock pulley, and 634 RWHP.

aj98 11-07-2018 07:37 PM

Depends on your budget and what you mean by modernize.

Modernizing the look would be lighting, both interior and exterior, to HID and LED.

1. Radio Flyer BiXenon headlights
2. RF LED fogs
3. RF exterior/interior LED kit

(Yea, I like Georges products :) )

For drivability and performance
c6 shifter, swaybars, shocks, etc

I suppose you could call the audio system either a creature comfort or convenience if you get one that supports Nav, XM, and or phone inputs.

C5Dobie 11-08-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by zeevette (Post 1598295809)
When I got my kit, I talked to Andy at A&A, and he built me a custom kit for under $5k. I get 8.5 lbs of boost with the stock pulley, and 634 RWHP.

No doubt they're a great company & make a great product....but that price point is misleading, ya sure $5k for the SC kit.....what about clutch? Meth injection? Fuel system? Install/tune? To me in order to do it right looks more like a $7-10k job depending on what you already have done and/or need & whats addressed (doing torque tube bushings, rear main seal, etc. for example)

zeevette 11-08-2018 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by C5Dobie (Post 1598300733)
No doubt they're a great company & make a great product....but that price point is misleading, ya sure $5k for the SC kit.....what about clutch? Meth injection? Fuel system? Install/tune? To me in order to do it right looks more like a $7-10k job depending on what you already have done and/or need & whats addressed (doing torque tube bushings, rear main seal, etc. for example)

I do all my own mechanical work. It's hard work without a lift, but I learned alot along the way. BTW, when I first modded the car, it was TF 215s, a Crane 228-232 cam, a ported FAST90 (ported by me) an UD pulley and a Meziere EWP. At that point the clutch wouldn't stay off the floor, so I installed a twin -disc and new hydraulics. Then, the first time I hit third gear, the diff twisted into a pile of parts, so I got a built diff from Rick (RTK) and braces from ECS and Pfadt. THEN I supercharged it. No meth, but a built fuel system. Tuned by Rick Wong at Wong's Performance. It probably helps the life of the car that it's never been raced, just a rare country road run through the gears. That, and crappy Invos that won't hook until about top of third gear, so I baby it for the most part. Just turned over 20k, and I bought it in '03 with 250 miles on it. No leaks, except the fixed rear diff 15 years ago.