CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Track car value opinions please (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4209868-track-car-value-opinions-please.html)

dcooper23 11-07-2018 08:31 AM

Track car value opinions please

Hi everyone. I am in the process of working out a deal to buy this car (C5Z06 track car) to use as a HPDE car probably 10 times per year. I have been talking to the owner for a few days and the car and the owner seem to be legit as they come. I have never bought a track prepped car before so I'm hoping you guy could give me your thoughts on a fair value for the car. He has tons of documentation for the car and it appears to be very clean.

Click the link below:

https://showroom.windingroad.com/lis...eid=f0e12b1220

Thank you for your time!

Dropspeed 11-07-2018 09:40 AM

Track cars are always hard to price and hard to sell. If you want basic racers math...Lets say the 03Z sells for 20K in clean shape, is there $15K+ worth of parts on the car that you need? If yes, and it works for you and your budget, go for it.

If this is every penny you have saved and you don't have any additional to make changes or adjustments that may pop up....maybe wait?

The car looks very clean and well taken care of...I also look at all the details surrounding the car (other cars in the pictures, the house, the lawn etc) and in this case they line up. It gives me a pretty good idea of the type of person I am dealing with for any purchase. The biggest question I have is why is he selling it so soon and after putting so much money into it?

dcooper23 11-07-2018 09:52 AM

I agree with you. Owner states that he is done racing for a while after 4 years and spending lots of money on this car and several others.. So far, he hasn't appeared to be misleading about anything. He says that he will trade for my clean H/C 32k mile '06 C6Z and its really got me considering it. I started doing HPDE track days in my car and got hooked and began looking for something more suited for track use and ran upon this car. I don't drive my C6Z on the street much now anyways as its just no fun compared to the track. I'm really torn here but it seems like this COULD be a great deal for me...

TrackAire 11-07-2018 10:03 AM

I have a friend who is looking for a car and sent him that link on Monday since I was pretty impressed by the car. The key is who built it....if the majority of the work was done by Phoenix Performance, you are probably in pretty good hands. I would definitely talk to Phoenix and see how much of the work they did on the car as they would know the history. As to the price of $34,900.00....if the car is completely sorted and turn key then I feel that is fair. But I'm not 100% sure from the ad if they mean the trans is just a used unit to replace a bad unit, etc??? The ad is a little unclear of what needs to be finished before the car is 100% track ready.

Good luck with your search!

Dane@LGmotorsports 11-07-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by dcooper23 (Post 1598293630)
Hi everyone. I am in the process of working out a deal to buy this car (C5Z06 track car) to use as a HPDE car probably 10 times per year. I have been talking to the owner for a few days and the car and the owner seem to be legit as they come. I have never bought a track prepped car before so I'm hoping you guy could give me your thoughts on a fair value for the car. He has tons of documentation for the car and it appears to be very clean.

Click the link below:

https://showroom.windingroad.com/lis...eid=f0e12b1220

Thank you for your time!

Alex is a stand up guy and a good customer of ours. It's a Phoenix Performance build (legit road race shop) Lou ran against them in Pirelli WC. Those G2 coilovers use Bilstein shocks that can be rebuilt/revalved if you keep the car for a long period of time. I wouldn't be scared of it.

Dane@LGmotorsports 11-07-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dropspeed (Post 1598294045)
Track cars are always hard to price and hard to sell. If you want basic racers math...Lets say the 03Z sells for 20K in clean shape, is there $15K+ worth of parts on the car that you need? If yes, and it works for you and your budget, go for it.

If this is every penny you have saved and you don't have any additional to make changes or adjustments that may pop up....maybe wait?

The car looks very clean and well taken care of...I also look at all the details surrounding the car (other cars in the pictures, the house, the lawn etc) and in this case they line up. It gives me a pretty good idea of the type of person I am dealing with for any purchase. The biggest question I have is why is he selling it so soon and after putting so much money into it?

He ordered a harness bar for his C7GS last week if that's any indication lol.

kdm123 11-07-2018 12:14 PM

Track cars are really, really hard to sell. So, I'm sure he'll be very happy if you buy it.
That's a lot of money for a C5 track toy. Looks nice though from the photos, and I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

SouthernSon 11-08-2018 01:18 PM

Problem is a very small buyers market. Those that can use it probably don't have a lot of experience in building one and don't realize the value. Those that do know the value have probably built their own 'expensive' track car and don't need yours. I suppose the ideal buyer might be someone that sold theirs, took several years off from the track and want to get back into it.

GSpeed 11-09-2018 04:08 PM

Pellegrini Performance Group in New Orleans has taken care of the car for the last little bit. They are a great shop, and the car has a great parts list. This car is easily worth more, but the owner is ready to move on. If we were to price it, Id expect it to be 45-50k$.

Soloontario 11-10-2018 08:04 AM

That is a geat car but also a lot of car for HPDE

Chets LS3 11-10-2018 09:33 AM

also like some others have mentioned, if any questions about this car lmk. I can give you everything i know, and what has been changed in the car in the past few months. Its local to me and I have been on track and paddock around it.

...if i wasnt so far deep into my car build i would have bought this car with the cage and the sump alone.

Chets LS3 11-10-2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dropspeed (Post 1598294045)

Because hes crazy! and we have told him that, isnt the first build hes done it on. Idk i think he enjoys buying cars, building them and then losing money on them. He says hes done tracking, but ill bet anything he will buy something else in a few months and be back out.

spdislife 11-11-2018 07:36 AM

I think it's a good deal. I'm assuming Phoenix installed the cage? If so, they deliver a first class product and when you add all the other recent goodies a deal IMHO.