CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Plant reconfiguration for C8?????? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4210177-plant-reconfiguration-for-c8.html)

HARVEY T.GLUCK 11-07-2018 10:28 PM

Plant reconfiguration for C8??????

This may be re-hashing but I have been off the forum for a While——-but something keeps bothering me about the Re-do of the Plant.......GM DID NOT SPEND I think it was 500 million dollars in the plant for just ONE CORVETTE.....it would never turn a profit for an awful long time ...That’s not the way GM operates.....
Also if I remember there are 2 new lines in the plant with only one functioning now.....
There is no way GM could justify spending all that money or even less then that figure unless they had plans to build another car.....Could it be a mid engine C8 and a reconfigured updated C7 on the two lines.....
It would certainly be more financially viable and the price points could be from $70,000. (To hold there present market share) —to the talked about $160,000 new C8 be It a Chevy (most likely) or a Cadillac version....
LOVE THAT ZR1......................Harvey

jagamajajaran 11-07-2018 11:06 PM

Hi Harvey,

There is only one vehicle assembly line in the plant. It has also been rumored that some MEs have been assembled recently on that line during normal C7 assembly on the same line.

range96 11-07-2018 11:38 PM

Must be busy putting miles on the new convertible. :)
The Forum is still split on GM's future plan to produce the C7 and C8 concurrently. No word on ZR1's end date yet, either.

HARVEY T.GLUCK 11-07-2018 11:51 PM

Plant reconfiguration

I stand corrected...there goes my Theory out the window except I cannot figure out then how that plant will EVER turn a profit—at least in my lifetime........H

84 4+3 11-08-2018 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK (Post 1598298913)
I stand corrected...there goes my Theory out the window except I cannot figure out then how that plant will EVER turn a profit—at least in my lifetime........H

Well, they put like 200 million into it for the C7 changeover so... Isn't this how they went bankrupt the first time?

DocScott 11-08-2018 12:12 AM

PREACH. I hope you are right Harvey. I really hope you are right. I want that ZR1.

TnRZ06 11-08-2018 02:24 AM

Maybe they are going to drop a Cadillac ME bomb on us and have two vehicles built there.

skank 11-08-2018 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1598298734)
Hi Harvey,

There is only one vehicle assembly line in the plant. It has also been rumored that some MEs have been assembled recently on that line during normal C7 assembly on the same line.

The new skillet system assembly line is used now. After viewing a current side view image of the ME I scaled the rear wheel and tire size(Verified rear tire diameter 27.2") relative to the wheelbase(front hub center to rear hub center). Using the ratio and proportion theorem it calculates out to almost a perfect match of the wheelbase 106.7" of the C7 FE chassis wheelbase. Most likely both FE and ME have matching wheelbase measurements to fit the new Skillet System on the Line. Elegant brought to my attention the advantages of the skillet system process and it makes logical sense to have identical wheelbases of both for manufacturing efficiencies of both ME and FE configurations.

JerriVette 11-08-2018 04:36 AM

I believe bowling green will be an engine building facility for the twin turbo v8.

i dont believe its a front and a rear engine vhilce but rather the rear mid engine corvette, possibly a rear mid engine cadillac (which will fail as even audis r8 unit sales have collasped. The acura NSX sales never took off.

The 130 to 200 grand market for mid engine rear sports cars is pretty small. Many thought the market segment had legs but really it doesn't unless the product is exceptional which maybe gm s new rear mid engine sports car will be at that pricing level designation.

i would suggest twin turbo hot vee engine production at bowling green...not a front mid engine sports car.

revamping of the camaro will follow suit quickly as the sixth gen camaro sales are in a free fall.

once the corvette moves to rear mid engine it gives room for the 2 plus 2 camaro to walk away from its first gen retro themed styling. Many have stated the alpha platform camaro is in some ways a superior performing platform in its upper levels to even the mighty c7 corvette.

the gm corvette team believe they have reached the limits of what they can acheive with their low volume two seat front engine platform from a performance standpoint. The limitations of even the extremely high performance c7 have reached design limits...

the front engine corvette and its just my opinion with no facts to back it up in anyway at this point...it going to pass into the history books..

the other point of contention is that the two seat sports car segment is shrinking dramatically and has been for quite so e time.

halo vehicles today are sport cuvs such as the porsche macan and even the ev jaguars I Pace.

take your pick the new halo vehicles are really not the huracans or aventadors but rather vehicles like the Urus..

heavy on hot rod sport ....but not two seaters ...but rather four door cuv s like the Urus at the upper range...and porsche macan and jaguar i pace in more normal price ranges of under 100 grand..

skank 11-08-2018 05:27 AM

Yes Harvey, I also believe they will build both ME and FE Corvettes. They didn't triple the Bowling Green Plant size to build just one car configuration. Yesterday I got on Google Earth and calculated the square footage of the original roof (942,160 sq. ft) and the new buildings roof (802,380 sq. ft.) using the Google Earth Ruler Line Measure function. It is reasonably accurate. The Bowling Green Corvette Plant information page has always indicated that the square footage of the old plant as 950,000 sq. ft. That aligns very closely with the 942,160 sq. ft. above since there are a few elevated second story office areas in the old building to make up the other 8,000 sq. ft. Gallagher-Kaiser Construction Co. of Troy, Michigan was the General Contractor on the new addition of the Plant. They have indicated a 897,000 sq. ft. on their website(see link below). Check out the photo spread of the new plant interior on the link below. Clearly they have not indicated the subterranean lower levels under the main area of the new addition or also the second level of the above grade line structure. There are 2 upper levels clearly shown on the photos during construction(see photos from Corvette Blogger article below). The lower sub grade level appears to be at least 30 feet deep. I did talk to Kai Spande at the Laguna Seca IMSA race a few months ago and he validated that there were up to 4 levels in the new building but 3 levels in some of it. Using my estimates from the roof calculations it seems plausible that the new addition realistically is at least 2 million sq ft of all 4 levels combined and not the 897,000 that is indicated on their stats. That in effect is a tripling of the square footage of the entire plant. I'll bet that GM didn't want to draw attention to the actual real square footage to the public especially us Corvette geeks. I've talked to Gallagher Kaiser as well as another sub-contractor on the job named Walbridge Construction Co. The Walbridge person I talked to indicated 4 levels as well. He even mentioned the new hill that was created by the excess soil from the lower level excavation of the new building. Sure enough, while viewing Google Earth you can see there is a new huge 50-60 foot high mound of soil that shows near the plant.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017...ssembly-plant/

http://www.gkcorp.com/project-portfo...te-paint-shop/

http://www.walbridge.com/market/automotive/

norge1956 11-08-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by TnRZ06 (Post 1598299152)
Maybe they are going to drop a Cadillac ME bomb on us and have two vehicles built there.

Has happened before with the Cadillac XLR line..

Production was right along side the Corvette.

John T 11-08-2018 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1598299269)
Yes Harvey, I also believe they will build both ME and FE Corvettes. They didn't triple the Bowling Green Plant size to build just one car configuration. Yesterday I got on Google Earth and calculated the square footage of the original roof (942,160 sq. ft) and the new buildings roof (802,380 sq. ft.) using the Google Earth Ruler Line Measure function. It is reasonably accurate. The Bowling Green Corvette Plant information page has always indicated that the square footage of the old plant as 950,000 sq. ft. That aligns very closely with the 942,160 sq. ft. above since there are a few elevated second story office areas in the old building to make up the other 8,000 sq. ft. Gallagher-Kaiser Construction Co. of Troy, Michigan was the General Contractor on the new addition of the Plant. They have indicated a 897,000 sq. ft. on their website(see link below). Check out the photo spread of the new plant interior on the link below. Clearly they have not indicated the subterranean lower levels under the main area of the new addition or also the second level of the above grade line structure. There are 2 upper levels clearly shown on the photos during construction(see photos from Corvette Blogger article below). The lower sub grade level appears to be at least 30 feet deep. I did talk to Kai Spande at the Laguna Seca IMSA race a few months ago and he validated that there were up to 4 levels in the new building but 3 levels in some of it. Using my estimates from the roof calculations it seems plausible that the new addition realistically is at least 2 million sq ft of all 4 levels combined and not the 897,000 that is indicated on their stats. That in effect is a tripling of the square footage of the entire plant. I'll bet that GM didn't want to draw attention to the actual real square footage to the public especially us Corvette geeks. I've talked to Gallagher Kaiser as well as another sub-contractor on the job named Walbridge Construction Co. The Walbridge person I talked to indicated 4 levels as well. He even mentioned the new hill that was created by the excess soil from the lower level excavation of the new building. Sure enough, while viewing Google Earth you can see there is a new huge 50-60 foot high mound of soil that shows near the plant.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017...ssembly-plant/

http://www.gkcorp.com/project-portfo...te-paint-shop/

http://www.walbridge.com/market/automotive/

This is the kind of info that I really enjoy on CF. Thanks Skank.

fyreline 11-08-2018 08:49 AM

I have said this before, and it's still only my opinion . . . When C8 mid-engine production starts up in 2019, that's it for the front-engine C7. No more front-engine cars at Bowling Green. Further, it makes no sense for GM to have invested so many millions of dollars in the sole Corvette assembly plant if they intended to make the new Corvette a six-figure car. They could never sell enough cars at that price point to justify the investment - and that isn't the Corvette's core market. This ain't gene splicing, folks - it isn't all that hard to figure out.

JoesC5 11-08-2018 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by norge1956 (Post 1598299799)
Has happened before with the Cadillac XLR line..

Production was right along side the Corvette.

I toured the plant while the XLR was in production. While both the C6 and the XLR were both being produced in the same building, the C6 was assembled using the two assembly conveyor lines, and the XLR was assembled in a separate area of the plant using motorized pallets instead of overhead monorails to move the cars into the various work stations as the assembly of the car progressed. The XLR were not built "right along side" the Corvette. on the same assembly line.

It was more like two entirely different cars were being assembled in two separate areas, but under one common roof.

While the new paint shop is larger than the old paint shop, when the new paint shop went into production in the new building, the old paint shop booth and oven etc was removed freeing up floor space in to old 950,000 sq ft building. The state of Kentucky did not agree to give GM some tax abatements to build a bunch of storage space. In return for those tax abatements, GM agreed to add 270 workers to Bowling Green's workforce. You do not double the size of the plant just to "store" 270 people in a new storage space, with no work being performed by those new hires building cars.

JIT(just in time inventory control) does not function very well if you operate using large areas of the plant just to store parts while they are being processed.

norge1956 11-08-2018 10:18 AM

The plant is almost double the size now.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f6d43ed7c8.jpg

OVR60 11-08-2018 11:01 AM

Two different cars on two platforms using the same production line?????

ChefMark 11-08-2018 11:08 AM

I hear from a source they going to remodel the Employee Cafeteria and Bathrooms
:leaving:

Atomic Utensil 11-08-2018 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by OVR60 (Post 1598300834)

Yup it can be done in fact Chrysler has been doing this for some time now.

JoesC5 11-08-2018 11:47 AM

Who said it has to be done using one production line. With motorized pallets following a tape(with electrical wires) on the floor, separate production lines can be utilized. Production lines don't have to use overhead monorails etc to move the car from one work station to the next work station.

MikeG37 11-08-2018 11:53 AM

A few manufacturers do just that. GM's own Detroit Hamtramck plant builds four different cars (used to be five) on the same line.