CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Installing Headers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4210248-installing-headers.html)

Boggedust 11-08-2018 08:58 AM

Installing Headers

Hey All,

I'm sure this has already been addressed but I haven't been able to find the thread addressing this. I'm installing long tube headers on my 87 vette. There are small tubes extending from the original manifold and routing to a central plastic piece. Is there a special way to cap this piece? or will it simply be removed? From what I understand the piece is an AIR pipe and for smog and no longer needed, but I'm not sure what needs to be done once it is removed. Sorry for the elementary question on here but I haven't been able to find the answer via searching.

Thanks

c4cruiser 11-08-2018 12:40 PM

I installed Heddman Elites headers on my old 87 and the version I ordered from Summit Racing were the ones without the IAR hookups. The entire AIR system can be removed if you don't have to go thru emissions inspection. Removing the pump will require a bracket to be installed in its' place. TPiS has them and the are a simple bolt-in replacing the AIR pump bracket. The assembly includes a pulley, but you will have to find a shorter alternator belt Then simply remove all of the hoses and pipes from the old system There is one long pipe that goes back to the main catalytic converter. That can be removed too.

The Heddman headers easily fit into place but I decided to get a mini-starter to replace the old large GM starter. This allowed me to install the right-side header with the mini-starter in place. The OEM large starter would have been a PIT to deal with! The starter I bought was a Summit Racing mini-starter. There were no wiring problems either All the wires easily reached the new starter and it was a simple "plug-and-play.

I would suggest having a muffler shop install a true dual system. I used an X-pipe where the main cat was located and I used Dyno-Max UltraFlo mufflers.

vader86 11-08-2018 01:00 PM

As stated, if you are taking off the AIR, just remove all the piping, add the AIR eliminator pulley and just tie off the wires to the pump.

AIR ports on the headers can just be covered with a plug/cap of some kind, likewise the main cat for the long pipe. Nothing else is required.

Does not require a chip retune and should never set codes related to AIR. Sometimes you will drop out of closed loop at idle with headers on the car, so the mileage will drop in city driving, in which case you can install a 3-wire O2 sensor in place of your current one, but its not required. EGR doesn't necessarily require a retune either with the diode trick, should you remove that.

On 84-87, it would be preferable to yank off the behemoth starter and put the smaller one from 88-91 on the car. This may require shimming or extending a wire in some cases, but it did not for me.

Boggedust 11-08-2018 05:29 PM

Is there no way to just cap the line?

383vett 11-08-2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Boggedust (Post 1598303539)

yup. Just cap the outlet. Home Depot pipe cap.

vader86 11-09-2018 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Boggedust (Post 1598303539)

As I said, you can just put a cap over it.

383vett 11-09-2018 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1598307210)
As I said, you can just put a cap over it.

Or you can just cap it.