CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What precautions do NPP exhaust people take to be quiet for your neighbors? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4210286-what-precautions-do-npp-exhaust-people-take-to-be-quiet-for-your-neighbors.html)

Parcival 11-08-2018 11:18 AM

What precautions do NPP exhaust people take to be quiet for your neighbors?

My first poll following a post wherein a few people noted they take precautions with their exhaust to run quietly for their neighbors.

Some people do one specific thing; eg, I keep the garage door closed on startup.
Others say they run on stealth mode (ie, Quiet exhaust) all the time.

What do you do for your neighbors to be considerate if anything?

A. Keep garage door closed until started and idle (if I leave while neighbors are usually asleep);
B. Run on stealth mode all the time;
C. Other. Please describe briefly;
D. Nothing. Let ‘Er rip. WOT with ��!

devnull 11-08-2018 11:32 AM

D!!!

this car wide open is nowhere near as loud as my C5Z was with tubes, cam, and straight exhaust (which my neighbors loved too haha).

let’r rip!

Matthewstorm 11-08-2018 11:35 AM

Occasionally, I visit a 500 acre retreat center on the ocean in Myrtle Beach, SC. My car is REALLY LOUD so out of respect I Stealth Mode from the front gate until I leave. Once I forgot and oh boy, did I hear about it.

JDSC8VETTE 11-08-2018 11:43 AM

I live on a hill so I usually have my wife push me down the driveway onto the road. Then I coast down the road until I'm past all my neighbors before I start it and drive away. Now coming home it's harder and it takes my wife a long time to push me up the hill.

vader86 11-08-2018 11:43 AM

None, never plan to for the GS either. My 88 has open headers and exhaust, GS likely will one day when warranty expires, if they dont like it move.

vader86 11-08-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE (Post 1598301119)
I live on a hill so I usually have my wife push me down the driveway onto the road. Then I coast down the road until I'm past all my neighbors before I start it and drive away. Now coming home it's harder and it takes my wife a long time to push me up the hill.

Underrated post.

mschuyler 11-08-2018 11:51 AM

Frankly, I don't understand the controversy. I keep my NPP in Track Mode. It's really not that loud, certainly not loud enough to disturb the neighbors. I don't intentionally rev it or anything. I just drive normally. I can't imagine anyone complaining about it.

joemessman 11-08-2018 12:03 PM

My neighbors like to hear it, so I oblige. In fact I back the car in the garage at night and in the morning with the Borla and all, I get a cold start and it echoes throughout Lake Havasu city! :D
The garage is a very good echo chamber if you have the car backed in about 5 ft or so from the wall with the door open. OMG!
I was going for a run the other day and saw a white C7 in a garage. So I stopped and talked to the owner. He lives about a third of a mile from me and said he hears me every morning when I start the car.

Matthewstorm 11-08-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1598301179)
Frankly, I don't understand the controversy. I keep my NPP in Track Mode. It's really not that loud, certainly not loud enough to disturb the neighbors. I don't intentionally rev it or anything. I just drive normally. I can't imagine anyone complaining about it.

I don't know what you've got in your car, bro, but with all the mods I've done my car is CRAZY LOUD. Like, my mom won't even ride with me cause she can't take it.

falcon5619 11-08-2018 12:06 PM

I just leave it in track mode all the time. Cold starts are a little louder but not out of control and it quiets down in like 30 seconds.

Dif 11-08-2018 12:27 PM

I'm on a dead end street with 5 neighbors that blast up and down the street on their Harley's.
And I use either Sport or Track with NPP so it's not a concern to the neighbors.
If I'm going out for a ride after midnight, then I use Stealth mode until I've left the street :auto:

mschuyler 11-08-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm (Post 1598301264)
I don't know what you've got in your car, bro, but with all the mods I've done my car is CRAZY LOUD. Like, my mom won't even ride with me cause she can't take it.

Good for you (I guess.) I thought we were talking about NPP exhaust systems here

JerryU 11-08-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by falcon5619 (Post 1598301281)
I just leave it in track mode all the time. Cold starts are a little louder but not out of control and it quiets down in like 30 seconds.

:iagree: Have NPP set to “always Track” regardless of drive mode. As you say after starting the butterflies close and it’s quite until it passes ~1700 rpm. Then they open. On the 2 mile twisty road I live on that leads to a 4 lane highway there are mostly woods on one side and homes for about half mile from the highway on the other.

One friend accused me of “gunning” the car when I passed their home. Checked and they live on a bend in the road so depending on the temp and what lower gear I’m in as the engine warms found I was at about 1700 rpm right by their house! A slight amount of extra throttle as I took the bend and yep, it got loud! Those with M7s can check it out. In a lower gear drive slow starting at say 1200 rpm when in Track Mode. Press the accelerator and when it reaches ~1700 rpm you’ll hear a step increase in sound level!

Now when I pass their home I shift so I’m under 1700! :yesnod:

dvilin 11-08-2018 01:06 PM

Not a thing, even with the fused pulled it is not that loud that people are complaining. My neighbor has a Honda Civic and I can hear him start it up and opening the garage door big deal.

Parcival 11-08-2018 01:16 PM

nice.

I saw her on YT.;)

JFJr 11-08-2018 01:52 PM

Ha haaaaaa!

genesis_1086 11-08-2018 02:45 PM

I saw this method on another thread and really liked it so I'll repeat it. For the occasional late night and early morning start ups, you can put your car in stealth mode before starting the engine. You can change the NPP settings by entering into service mode by holding down the start button for 8-10 seconds without your foot on the brake.

Amirns 11-08-2018 02:52 PM

If my car doesn't set off a couple off car alarms in the garage I have not had a successful morning.

BrunoTheMellow 11-08-2018 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1598301179)

when I turn my car on in the garage, it vibrates my living room above and will wake someone up with stock exhaust. My bedroom is above my neighbors garage, and I'd hate to be sleeping from an odd hour shift to be woken up by exhaust. There is another corvette across the aisle from my back window and I can hear him turning it on. It's just egotistical annoyance to not drive in quiet mode when in close proximity of someone's house. No one gives a shit that your car is loud other than car guys.

now if you live in houses with plenty of space in between them, sure, go for it. But in a townhouse with an alley behind and shared walls/ceilings, it's a bit of a dick move.

BrunoTheMellow 11-08-2018 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by joemessman (Post 1598301262)
My neighbors like to hear it, so I oblige. In fact I back the car in the garage at night and in the morning with the Borla and all, I get a cold start and it echoes throughout Lake Havasu city! :D
The garage is a very good echo chamber if you have the car backed in about 5 ft or so from the wall with the door open. OMG!
I was going for a run the other day and saw a white C7 in a garage. So I stopped and talked to the owner. He lives about a third of a mile from me and said he hears me every morning when I start the car.

no they don't.