CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   GM Parts (C6 Z06 discontinued) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4210378-gm-parts-c6-z06-discontinued.html)

dmuellenberg 11-08-2018 02:45 PM

GM Parts (C6 Z06 discontinued)

Just a heads up, went to gmpartsdirect to order some parts for my Z06 and it looks like most parts for the C6 Z06 have been discontinued. I had done some prior research about a month ago and the parts were there then, but not now. Looks like just some accessories are now available. I called gmpartsdirect and they just said the parts I wanted were discontinued and there wasn't anything they could do about it. I also looked on Cultrag Performance and they show the same thing. However, I was able to order the parts from gmpartsgiant.

MTPZ06 11-08-2018 02:51 PM

What parts were you sourcing out of curiosity?

03Zcrit 11-08-2018 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 (Post 1598302464)

:lurk:

Dan_the_C5_Man 11-08-2018 06:27 PM

I think we should start a list of disco'd parts, make it a sticky.

Although I am sure people will only post to the thread AFTER they obtain the last one for themselves. :smash: :cheers:

dmuellenberg 11-08-2018 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 (Post 1598302464)

I'm having my 2006 Z06 with 142k miles on it repainted this winter and decided to replace all the weather stripping and seals at the same time (hood, rear hatch, roof, doors, bumpers, etc). Also have a crack in the rear quarter panel and wanted to order a new one. All the parts that I had researched (had the part numbers) all said that the part didn't fit my vehicle, rather than saying it was discontinued. So I called them and gave them several part numbers and they just said those parts were discontinued. You used to be able to view a parts diagram on the web site, and that is no longer there as well. Like I said, now it just shows the accessories tab, which is pretty limited. Not sure what happened to all the parts they used to have listed just a month ago. When I went to Cultrag Performance web site, it was the same interface so it must be a GM decision.

MTPZ06 11-08-2018 06:55 PM

Ecklers is great for making OE replicas on stuff like that...but glad you at least found your source. :thumbs:

03Zcrit 11-08-2018 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg (Post 1598303970)
I'm having my 2006 Z06 with 142k miles

Hats off to you sir for putting miles on your Z! A lot of people just keep them as garage queens. :thumbs:

lamboworld 11-08-2018 09:26 PM

Is this normal for Chevy do discontinue parts this soon. My current Z06 is the only corvette that I have owned so I have no idea when they typically discontinue parts. This seems strange. I think that I can get parts for a german car that is 20 years old with no issue.

dmuellenberg 11-08-2018 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by lamboworld (Post 1598304902)
Is this normal for Chevy do discontinue parts this soon. My current Z06 is the only corvette that I have owned so I have no idea when they typically discontinue parts. This seems strange. I think that I can get parts for a german car that is 20 years old with no issue.

Not sure how it works. I always thought that the auto company had to supply parts for 10 years after the model was discontinued. Since 2013 was the last year of the C6 Z06, I would think you should be able to get parts for it until 2023. Maybe GM just wants people to order through the dealer instead of through discount sites like gmpartsdirect since there is a much bigger markup through the dealer. Just a guess as I haven't checked to see if I can still get the parts through the dealer.

JimsCorvettes 11-09-2018 04:41 AM

Is there any "junk" yards that sell parts off Corvettes? My two local LKQ's have never had a Corvette. Parts would be used but if faced with that for the only choice....

charger21 11-09-2018 09:44 AM

I've worked for GM Parts for 30 years, and the only thing I can tell you is that if a part is not a real popular seller, it tends to get discontinued. Interior trim parts are generally the first to go.

dmuellenberg 11-09-2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by charger21 (Post 1598306592)
I've worked for GM Parts for 30 years, and the only thing I can tell you is that if a part is not a real popular seller, it tends to get discontinued. Interior trim parts are generally the first to go.

So are you saying that GM can discontinue parts at any time and they don't have to provide parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued?

But also in this case it looks like almost any part other than 'accessories' have been discontinued for the C6 Z06. Is that normal?

MTPZ06 11-09-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by JimsCorvettes (Post 1598305750)
Is there any "junk" yards that sell parts off Corvettes? My two local LKQ's have never had a Corvette. Parts would be used but if faced with that for the only choice....

There's a few out there that deal in corvettes. Corvettesalvage(dot)com comes to mind

moose.b3 11-09-2018 12:34 PM

I've used this place before with good results. Obviously they don't have everything.

https://www.corvetterecycling.com/aboutus.asp

MTPZ06 11-09-2018 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg (Post 1598307718)
So are you saying that GM can discontinue parts at any time and they don't have to provide parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued?

I have never seen a statute requiring (US) auto makers to keep making parts after the warranty has expired on their last model year sold. If there is such a federal law, no one has ever been able to cite chapter and verse that I'm aware of. I believe the only requirement by the federal govt to (US) auto makers is to have parts be produced and made available for the full warranty period of the vehicle. Now do they take into account bumper to bumper, versus powertrain, versus emissions warranties, since these all usually have different expiration dates? I would assume so...but I can't say with any certainty.

MTPZ06 11-09-2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by moose.b3 (Post 1598307794)
I've used this place before with good results. Obviously they don't have everything.

https://www.corvetterecycling.com/aboutus.asp

Thats another good one.

Sox-Fan 11-09-2018 01:47 PM

https://aescorvetteparts.com/ also has about anything you need.

Nowanker 11-09-2018 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 (Post 1598307953)
I have never seen a statute requiring (US) auto makers to keep making parts after the warranty has expired on their last model year sold. If there is such a federal law, no one has ever been able to cite chapter and verse that I'm aware of. I believe the only requirement by the federal govt to (US) auto makers is to have parts be produced and made available for the full warranty period of the vehicle. Now do they take into account bumper to bumper, versus powertrain, versus emissions warranties, since these all usually have different expiration dates? I would assume so...but I can't say with any certainty.

That's my understanding as well.
Popular myth that "mfr's are required to provide replacement parts for (X) number of years..."
No one has ever been able to provide the exact (imaginary) statute showing that as fact.
German mfr's seem to keep them available forever, but will sodomize you mercilessly whenever you need something.

Hib Halverson 11-09-2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg (Post 1598307718)

But also in this case it looks like almost any part other than 'accessories' have been discontinued for the C6 Z06. Is that normal?

It's a common misconception in the car hobby that car companies are required by law to provide parts support for 10 years.

There is no such law.

~STOLEN~ 11-10-2018 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan (Post 1598308217)
https://aescorvetteparts.com/ also has about anything you need.

I used these guys with great luck

They were quick , sent me pics day of inquiry, paid and was shipped next day in the am

They have a Ton of stuff I think they were in michigan