CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Transactions Feedback (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/transactions-feedback-153/)
-   -   Chicago Corvette +/- Review (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/transactions-feedback/4210584-chicago-corvette-review.html)

Panama 58 11-09-2018 07:33 AM

Chicago Corvette +/- Review

Looking for positive or negative comments for Chicago Corvette. They may have a rebuilt carb that I am looking for and would like to hear member experiences purchasing from Al at this well established parts vendor. Thanks.

Avispa 11-09-2018 08:00 AM

PM sent.

jrm5657 11-09-2018 08:38 AM

I have purchased Holley parts from Al and never had any issues. I have also sold some carbs to him and he paid good money for them. Delivery of parts has always been timely and payment for carbs was timely as well. I have not found a more extensive inventory of Holley parts than what they have.

DAN70 11-09-2018 08:42 AM

I’ve bought some miscellaneous hard to find parts from them, with no problem.:thumbs:

Dreaming60’s 11-09-2018 08:54 AM

Dealt with Bob or John numerous times and always great service with no issues on the parts. Recommended!

Butch

Nowhere Man 11-09-2018 09:06 AM

I highly doubt they have the carb in house. They have a select few rebuilders that do “there” work for them and the lie to you about it

65 Pro Vette 11-09-2018 09:16 AM

Usually when you buy a carburetor from them they just happened to have the right dates and number in stock or they can get it for you really quick. Because they re-stamp them. And they are detachable. Buyer beware. I never bought any parts from them so I don’t know anything about that.

65vette396 11-09-2018 10:10 AM

I bought a 3810 Holley on Ebay and it turned out to be from them. They delayed shipping as they "found out the metering block was warped". They found another one and sent the carb. They don't rebuild in house as stated above. The large bowl plugs on each end were epoxied in but it passed NCRS judging with the judge stating it was done for "safety reasons". They are usually higher on their stuff but have some hard to find parts. Supply and demand. Carb is on my car and running fine. Just beware of expectations and results. Make sure you see pics of the carb and stampings before you pay.

Frankie the Fink 11-09-2018 10:18 AM

I've had a few issues with date-coded things like alternators, etc...

I did buy a pair of dual quad WCFB 270hp clones from them 7-8 years ago and the carb were freakishly good. Seat-of-the-pants better performers than my "real deal" 270hp carbs... I sold these clones to forum member Bill Pilon who has been running the snot of them for about 3 years now. Neither of us did anything but adjust the mixture and idle speed...

So, for what its worth -- that's my experience... They also go by the name of graygacy and Mertzer Carbs...

Panama 58 11-09-2018 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette (Post 1598306411)
Usually when you buy a carburetor from them they just happened to have the right dates and number in stock or they can get it for you really quick. Because they re-stamp them. And they are detachable. Buyer beware. I never bought any parts from them so I don’t know anything about that.

This is exactly my concern. When I spoke with Al he was very casual and short about having the dates I was looking for without even checking an inventory list and that raised my suspicions. These would be easy to sand off and restamp. Another vendor who has the carb I need on eBay says that he can't send me pictures of the part # or date until I order the unit. He said, after I buy it he will send a picture and if it's not what I wanted he will refund my money. It seems clear to me that he also intends to "create" what I want once I order. He does say that it is stamped A4 already (this date would do, but prefer a month or two later) , so why won't he confirm it with me via a pic? Interestingly, the carb on my car now works, but isn't correct. In order for this vendor to extend his core discount to me for my existing carb.........he wants pictures of it!! I believe I will keep looking on both counts.

Frankie the Fink 11-09-2018 12:26 PM

What is it exactly that you are looking for ?

68hemi 11-09-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Panama 58 (Post 1598307111)
This is exactly my concern. When I spoke with Al he was very casual and short about having the dates I was looking for without even checking an inventory list and that raised my suspicions. These would be easy to sand off and restamp. Another vendor who has the carb I need on eBay says that he can't send me pictures of the part # or date until I order the unit. He said, after I buy it he will send a picture and if it's not what I wanted he will refund my money. It seems clear to me that he also intends to "create" what I want once I order. He does say that it is stamped A4 already (this date would do, but prefer a month or two later) , so why won't he confirm it with me via a pic? Interestingly, the carb on my car now works, but isn't correct. In order for this vendor to extend his core discount to me for my existing carb.........he wants pictures of it!! I believe I will keep looking on both counts.

Sounds to me like you would be better off re-stamping your own carb because that is the same thing you are going to end up with if you buy one from them.

Panama 58 11-09-2018 01:54 PM

I am still looking for a Carter AFB 3720 SA with a date between A4 and F4. It's a mid June '64 with automatic transmission. With the exception of the carb and overflow tank, all other key parts are original to the car. The carb that is on it now is a 3721 SB dated D5. This carb is for a '65 manual transmission with an April '65 date. It runs fine, but because so much of it is original, I want to find a correct one that either has been rebuilt or can be at a later time. The 3721 SB was a service replacement carb back in '65, but the ones for automatic transmissions should be SA and not SB.

Frankie the Fink 11-09-2018 01:59 PM

You should call David Sokolowski as a start....if you don't have his number you can PM me...

Panama 58 11-09-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1598308306)
You should call David Sokolowski as a start....if you don't have his number you can PM me...

Did that already. Best he could do was an M3 (December of '63). The same carb was used on 327/300, automatic transmission equipped Chevy Impalas, but have yet been able to mine anything from that group either. You would think that they would be plentiful. Thanks for the suggestion. Any others?

Frankie the Fink 11-09-2018 03:49 PM

You could buy the Chicago Corvettes piece and if you don’t like it return it. They are pretty good about that at least.

Nowhere Man 11-09-2018 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1598308931)
You could buy the Chicago Corvettes piece and if you don’t like it return it. They are pretty good about that at least.

Frank he would be better off cutting out the middle man (Chicago Corvette) and just talk to there preferred rebuilders and see what they have in stock

Panama 58 11-09-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1598309027)
Frank he would be better off cutting out the middle man (Chicago Corvette) and just talk to there preferred rebuilders and see what they have in stock

Can you tell me who they are? I have no problem doing that.

Panama 58 11-09-2018 07:46 PM

Anyone know anything about Carburetor Center in El Monte, CA?

Nowhere Man 11-09-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Panama 58 (Post 1598310158)
Can you tell me who they are? I have no problem doing that.

one of them is Custom Rebuilt carbs in NJ. I think Eric Jackson is too