CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Building the worlds largest LS - HPR527 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/4210662-building-the-worlds-largest-ls-hpr527.html)

HP RESEARCH 11-09-2018 11:02 AM

Building the worlds largest LS - HPR527

Over the past year or so we have been working to develop the worlds largest LS engine and have begun final machine work and moving towards assembly now. I am going to start a build thread here this week, but it might take a few days to sort through and begin posting photos.

Please keep in mind somethings we will not go into exact details but most things you guys should get to see pretty close up on how something like this is done. The plan is to engine dyno, do some cam testing, and then get them into vehicles for testing. The first two are being done side by side with one being a more dedicated drag race setup while the other is going to be a more radical "street" setup if you will. A more endurance/road race setup is on paper and might be possibly coming in 2019.

Stay tuned!!!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...958d7383b1.jpg

timd38 11-09-2018 11:13 AM

All I can say is WOW!

farmington 11-09-2018 04:19 PM

What about the Australian V-12? That is bigger than this.

HP RESEARCH 11-09-2018 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by farmington (Post 1598309100)
What about the Australian V-12? That is bigger than this.

I guess I should state largest V8 LS. There is a group down under that has been doing a 52x V8 LS as well, but I think technically we are 1/2 cube larger than that one.

V10/V12/V16 versions don't count

Dano523 11-12-2018 05:45 PM

Lost here, since the Merc SB4 7.0 is making 750hp in crate form.

So instead of just increasing block displacements volumes, wouldn't time be better spent on coming up with dual over head cam variable head kits isntead?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5b0835814d.jpg

HP RESEARCH 11-12-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dano523 (Post 1598324376)
Lost here, since the Merc SB4 7.0 is making 750hp in crate form.

So instead of just increasing block displacements volumes, wouldn't time be better spent on coming up with dual over head cam variable head kits isntead?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5b0835814d.jpg

Well you also have to think about fitment into the car and overall cost. Now the plan is to be over 1000hp NA with one if not both of these engines. Doing four cam and having 32v is for sure one way to get there, but it would require far more custom parts, and there would still be a question of fitting this into a Corvette and other LS platforms like 4th, 5th gen Camaro's, trucks....

When you step back and even look at the Coyote vs LS, physically it is a much larger engine. Even with ours being a tall deck the engine will not be much larger than your standard LS7.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...95bd9821d7.jpg

Dano523 11-12-2018 07:30 PM

Understand what your saying, but with even 4 cylinder engines making over 1K HP @9k RPM's, the more effect way of making power, is to break past the 100hp per litter N/A limitation on the stock LS single cam push rod motor system isntead. Hence even even with Over head cam heads, you still have the room to get the SB4 under the stock hood on a C6.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...861e9aa6c3.jpg

HP RESEARCH 11-13-2018 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dano523 (Post 1598325031)
Understand what your saying, but with even 4 cylinder engines making over 1K HP @9k RPM's, the more effect way of making power, is to break past the 100hp per litter N/A limitation on the stock LS single cam push rod motor system isntead. Hence even even with Over head cam heads, you still have the room to get the SB4 under the stock hood on a C6.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...861e9aa6c3.jpg

Well we are not talking about power adder setups in this experiment, so toss any relation to that out the window.

If you look at the SB4 at $35,000 in crate form it makes 750hp at the flywheel so about what a new LT5 is making. I haven't seen any installed in a car but lets assume it should be approx what a new ZR1 would be at 580-600whp on pump fuel. Our smaller 468 hyd roller setup on pump fuels can produce 630-680 whp for $10k less (depending on options), and drop right in with no custom accessories, mounts, exhaust, intake....if you are talking about HP/$ spent and time to do so.

HP per Liter. While a number of people like to toss this idea around of it being in some way related to how "good" an engine is, it doesn't really mean much at the end of the day. Power output of an engine is mainly dictated by how much air it can swallow efficiently and the RPM in which it can turn to produce said output. So if you had a cylinder head that can flow 400cfm, be that on a 4.0L or a 8.0L, mathematically it will make the same approx PEAK power given that the smaller engine can turn the RPM to do so. That would make it far better HP/Liter but do you want a 700hp / 400 ft-lb 15,000 RPM engine or a 700hp / 600 ft-lb engine 7500 RPM engine? Now those are just random numbers, but representative of what it boils down to. How much air that engine can take in will show the power output so long as you can control all of the events going on to get it there (cam timing, valvetrain, intake, exhaust....). At the end of the day our goal is to provide the biggest average power under the curve as we can. Sometimes this is done as aggressively as we can do so in the case of a drag engine or as reliability as we can for a road racer. Given no budget limitations...a better designed block, 4 valve head, among other things would be the way to go, you are correct on that.

Now in no way am I saying the SB4 is not an option, great thing about hot rodding is that there are many different routes to take and if everyone went the same direction we would all have the same outcome. Just understand what does what and you can pick how you want to get to your destination.

Now IF all goes as planned the drag setup should be in the 128-134 hp / liter range......if we are talking in that respect.

PCMusicGuy 11-13-2018 05:23 PM

Congrats on the attempt. I like the idea of a silly displacement LS based engine. You swap an LS2 or LS3 for something like this and make a ton more power, but will look damn near completely stock under the hood. Less complexity to worry about for road racing, daily driving, etc.

zoomz 11-15-2018 09:54 PM

I cant wait to see it complete ! !

HP RESEARCH 11-16-2018 04:33 PM

Assembly should officially start next week and we will work on getting pictures prepped and ready for posting along with a full detail of what all is going on.

The blog will feature this as things go together, not really how it was planned, to do that you would have to read the article in reverse.....starting with the intake.

So before I take off for the weekend I will leave you with one more sneak peek into the build showing off the 5 stage ARE dry sump that will be used on both 527's.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6495352061.jpg

HC Mechanic 11-17-2018 01:33 AM

I believe sticking with standard LS architecture is for sure the way to go.
- reliability
- center of gravity
- overall dimensions

Many discount the fact how much more weight 3 more cams and the required components to spin them actually add, not to mention where most of this rotating mass is located...well above the centerline of the front wheels. A big deal if you care about cornering. Not to mention valve springs are power robbing in nature, they are the hottest internal component of an IC engine.

Excited to see how this project turns out.

HC Mechanic 11-17-2018 01:35 AM

Are you guys looking to use All Pro heads?

HP RESEARCH 11-19-2018 01:47 PM

While I gather pics and do the write up's I'll give you guys some teaser video's along the way..

HP RESEARCH 11-21-2018 05:31 PM

One more peek into the 527 builds before the holiday

HC Mechanic 11-22-2018 01:50 AM

Wow!! Pretty incredible guys

3X2 11-22-2018 08:25 PM

Looks interesting. I don't think the 5 stage a.r.e. will fit a C5/6 chassis. The Dailey dry sump would be a better choice and with less hoses to deal with.

HP RESEARCH 11-23-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 3X2 (Post 1598380226)
Looks interesting. I don't think the 5 stage a.r.e. will fit a C5/6 chassis. The Dailey dry sump would be a better choice and with less hoses to deal with.

As most of our customer builds you have to sacrifice something for something else. Many times it is the cam size due to hyd vs solid, rocker arms, drivablity....what ever the case maybe. Other times it is the intake manifold for hood clearance. With this paticular build, we are cutting back on things like that and staying more focused on the engine build itself and will deal with what needs to be changed on the car to fit it. A 3 stage Dailey kit (which you have seen us use before) is a very well made system and does great for a lot of engines that we do. It packages nicely and allows for OE mounts to put the engine in...but you still have to give up A/C with their kits. For an engine like this, we wanted a little larger pressure stage and way more scavenge than what a three stage Dailey could do. Dailey of course does offer 4/5/6 and even 7 stage kits like you might find on a big turbo drag car but the customer wanted a ARE system for his engines. Going much larger than a 5 stage system would typically require some other bigger modifications like a Tilton bellhousing and reverse mounted starter since the pumps on those are almost as long as the block itself.

The engine will be mounted in the car with a front and mid plate so no OE mounts to deal with. That being said a custom passenger side mount could be made to wrap around the pump and down into the K memeber without a lot of trouble. The pan will fit a C5/6 chassis without issue as it is the same as you would find in a lot of W/C cars.

3X2 11-23-2018 09:40 AM

Yes, the pan fits a C5/6 chassis, I have done numerous a.r.e. installs. However, that pump will not.

HP RESEARCH 11-23-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 3X2 (Post 1598381712)
Yes, the pan fits a C5/6 chassis, I have done numerous a.r.e. installs. However, that pump will not.

That might indeed be the case with out a bit more modification than some may want to do.