CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   C7 Z06 preferred options.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4211321-c7-z06-preferred-options.html)

MVPJEFF106 11-11-2018 03:19 PM

C7 Z06 preferred options....

Hi everyone,

My last Vette was a 2012 Centennial Z06 3LZ and am looking now at 2016-2018 Z06's. Big differences between 2LZ and 3LZ? Are the Carbon Ceramic Brakes well worth the extra few bucks on a used low mileage C7 Z06? I've been researching but am finding conflicting info regarding the preferences and am curious as to opinions. I've seen a few Z07's with CC Brakes and a few 3LZ's with the standard brakes. Any suggestions I should be looking for? Car would be a street car but would like to start to occasionally track the car (never have yet). Thanks in advance for any input!

fasthwks 11-11-2018 03:57 PM

If you plan to track the car I would stay away from CCB's, the packages are up to you and the content you wish to have. I would say since you are buying used that there is not a big spread between packages like you would have new.

Buy the most car you can for the money with miles and color you like.

jaden61 11-11-2018 04:03 PM

CCB waste of money.
But you get bragging rights.

MVPJEFF106 11-11-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by fasthwks (Post 1598318455)
If you plan to track the car I would stay away from CCB's, the packages are up to you and the content you wish to have. I would say since you are buying used that there is not a big spread between packages like you would have new.

Buy the most car you can for the money with miles and color you like.

Any reason why staying away from CCB's for the track? I was always under the assumption that they were best suited for the track and not the street? That's been my biggest debate, the cars I'm finding with the best color combo's that fit my preference and other packages don't have CCB's and I don't want to under-buy.... I never tracked my old Z06 and the only option I didn't order from the factory was the CCB's so didn't have first hand experience with them to judge.

MVPJEFF106 11-11-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jaden61 (Post 1598318480)
CCB waste of money.

Can you explain a little more why? I'm more knowledgeable on the C6 Z06 from my previous vette and never heard they were overrated back then. Trying to make a well informed purchase and would like all information. Thanks!

MSG C5 11-11-2018 07:42 PM

CCBs should last a lifetime if you don’t track the car. Plus, no brake dust.

saleen556 11-11-2018 07:53 PM

Love my CC brakes. They look awesome and leave little dust. As far as trim level goes the 2LZ is the sweet spot. Very little benefit in a 3LZ from a performance aspect. The contrasting leather does look nice when you don’t go with black interior though.

thelastday 11-11-2018 08:22 PM

3LZ interior is fantastic, even all black, but 2LZ is probably the sweet spot. CCB is a great option if you're OCD about brake dust and don't plan on tracking a lot. I'm very glad I found one with CCB but not the full Z07 package. Wasn't planning to go 3LZ as well, but happy with my decision after the fact.

fpfaeth 11-11-2018 08:45 PM

2LZ, suede inserts (shifter and seats), comp seats, Mine is Arctic White, so purchased Carbon Flash sideview mirrors.

fasthwks 11-11-2018 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MVPJEFF106 (Post 1598318644)
Any reason why staying away from CCB's for the track? I was always under the assumption that they were best suited for the track and not the street? That's been my biggest debate, the cars I'm finding with the best color combo's that fit my preference and other packages don't have CCB's and I don't want to under-buy.... I never tracked my old Z06 and the only option I didn't order from the factory was the CCB's so didn't have first hand experience with them to judge.

CCB's are awsome for no brake dust and street driving. IF you track often the relacement costs are expensive and steel is the way to go .I have them on my turbo S and they are the best brakes in my opinion but I never track my cars so no biggie for me. I have never got them on any vette I have had with the exception of my 11 ZR1 in which there was no other option. Go drive one with the brakes and then consider how often are you really going to track it, that's how I would make that call.

Mr. Gizmo 11-11-2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by MSG C5 (Post 1598319530)

ccb is best and most economical if you don’t track the car, they will last forever. If you track the car it’s expensive as a wear item. Your better off with the standard package versus j57 option. and you can easily and inexpensively change rotors and pads.

the z07 cars equipped with the ccb are different from a suspension perspective then the non z07 or non z07 with the j57 option. The z07 have advantages other the Ccb for the track usage.

HorsePowerObsessed 11-11-2018 11:54 PM

I love my Z07 package. Coming from my 2014 ZL1 with iron rotors the lack of brake dust on this thing is phenomenal!

Range_Rat 11-12-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jaden61 (Post 1598318480)
CCB waste of money.

People buy the CCB's more for looks and minimal dust accumulation than they do for performance. Stopping distances are virtually the same, hard core track rats have found that CCB's are more resistant to fade, but potential subject to damage (rotor chipping) and WAY more expensive to maintain, leading to a preference for the standard Brembo brake package.

A simple change of brake pads on standard brake package cures the dusting problem. Cost to maintain for street use over the life of the car is inconsequential for both packages.

Differences between 2LZ and 3LZ interior options are very minimal. Some say material is substantially different, other people say not so much unless the two are literally sitting side by side. In black, differences between the two material offerings are virtually indistinguishable. With the Z07 option package, there is a material substitution that makes the 3LZ seat essentially the same as that for a 2LZ interior.

mikegaan 11-12-2018 11:30 AM

Mods are a matter of 'druthers'. 'Useful' options are side skirts and protective film. They keep the stone chips etc. down.

Bill Dearborn 11-12-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MVPJEFF106 (Post 1598318644)

They are great brakes on the track. The problem is the pads and rotors cost too damn much to replace when worn out. At Instructor Driving levels an owner will get somewhere between 13 and 15 days of track usage (plus what ever street miles driven in between) out of the front rotors. Amazon price for the front rotors is currently $1502 each. Front pads last about 6 track days and on Amazon are currently running about $433 per set. Basically for 13 track days a set of front rotors and two sets of pads will run you about $3900. Rears last at least 20 days but on Amazon rear rotors are currently running $1600 each and the pads are running $483 per set. So about $4200 for somewhere around 20 to 24 days of track usage. For a lot of top level drivers that means they are spending about $8K per year for brake pads/rotors. It is much less costly to replace the CCM brakes with an Essex AP Racing Front and Rear Brake kits. With the front kit you reach the break even point after the first rotor/pad replacement. The rear brake kit costs less in total than one replacement of the rear CCM pads/rotors so it is a no brainer decision to switch to it at the same time as switching to the front kit.

For limited track usage by a Novice they are probably fine as they won't be pushed any where near as hard as an instructor or advanced level driver will push them.

As somebody else posted they will last forever with just street driving. However, if all you are going to do is drive on the street they are probably an overkill.

Bill

mjdart 11-12-2018 12:03 PM

Carbon Ceramic brakes for street use are exceptional, no brake dust is very important to me. They are grabby in slow stop and go traffic. If you need to stop very quickly they will out-brake most cars on the planet. Keep that in mind and look in the rear view mirror as cars following can not brake as well as you can! I had to panic brake once and it turned the oh-shit event into a ho hum exercise due to the superior braking capabilities. Now on the negative side for me, I frequently get a brakes worn message on the Driver Information Center (will go to dealer soon). I have 6,100 miles and they look perfect. I pulled a wheel off to inspect closer, I can't even perceive wear on the rotor or pads, they are as new. I read online some experience this due to faulty sensors. If the car is out of warranty this could prove costly, if the message bothers you, if not just acknowledge and message goes away until the next time the car is started. I was very lucky when I ordered the CC brakes, Corvette had run out of steel rotors in April of 2017 so I was awarded a $5K rebate for getting the CC option. I ordered the gray calipers to complement the CC color with my long beach red paint as seen below

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fe0b8da8da.jpg
Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Gray Caliper

Bill Dearborn 11-13-2018 12:17 PM

I never found the CCM brakes to be grabby. On the streets and highways they act just like any other brake. Stopping capability isn't any better than any other brake since tire grip is the limiting factor not the brake type. The advantage the CCM brakes have is they don't fade with multiple applications of the brakes slowing from speeds like 150 mph to 50 over and over within a two minute time span.

Bill

tran03 11-14-2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mjdart (Post 1598322434)
Carbon Ceramic brakes for street use are exceptional, no brake dust is very important to me. They are grabby in slow stop and go traffic. If you need to stop very quickly they will out-brake most cars on the planet. Keep that in mind and look in the rear view mirror as cars following can not brake as well as you can! I had to panic brake once and it turned the oh-shit event into a ho hum exercise due to the superior braking capabilities. Now on the negative side for me, I frequently get a brakes worn message on the Driver Information Center (will go to dealer soon). I have 6,100 miles and they look perfect. I pulled a wheel off to inspect closer

I had the same issue in my 2016 Z06 with Z07 package and 9100 miles. The brake worn light would come on. I inspected the pads and no sign of wear. I thought, maybe a bad sensor? I took the car to the dealership and they said no issues with the sensor. Very strange because I just said "forget it" and drive with it and I haven't had the brake worn message come up anymore....

thelastday 11-14-2018 12:56 PM

They're extremely responsive - you can easily stop much quicker than you meant to with the slightest extra pressure on the brake pedal. mjdart is right about keeping an eye on what's behind you on the highway. I don't fear rear-ending someone - I fear getting rear-ended because I can stop so much quicker.

1 HOT 07 11-14-2018 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by MSG C5 (Post 1598319530)

:iagree: