CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Heads cam questions.. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4211395-heads-cam-questions.html)

04zjimc 11-11-2018 07:52 PM

Heads cam questions..

I was thinking of a 228r cam..my question is would you a port and polish the and mill stock heads? Buy afr 205's.. or texas speed cam package. Also should i go with a 90/90 setup? Thanks

99blkfrc99 11-12-2018 09:35 AM

Lots of these lately. Couple questions. What's your budget? How do you use it? What's your goal?

Aaron at SDPC 11-12-2018 09:49 AM

It's all relative to your budget and intentions with the build. Give us a little more information and we can certainly get you headed in the right direction.

04zjimc 11-12-2018 02:50 PM

My car is driven on weekends and nice days..i want a cam that has power everywhere..not looking for a monster cam that realky serves no purpose on a car driven around town. My heads..not sure if porting and polishing the stock heads are worth it. Stage 2 porting might be $1,000 better heads $2000-2,500..i guess my question is, is it worth spending the extra money on new heads and only gaining 15hp..and finally intake t/b 90 / 90..
thanks

Midnight_Z 11-12-2018 04:09 PM

I asked this same exact question the other day. I’m in the same exact boat as you. I’m trying to figure out if the stage 2.5 heads by Texas speed is worth the extra 1000 bucks. Aftermarket heads are not in my budget...

neutron82 11-12-2018 04:31 PM

if you want over 450 to the wheels then you most likely will need some head work and a fast intake and at that point you will pretty much be maxing out what the engine is capable of in natural form... if you want more than that then nitrous or boost are the only other choices if you stay with stock cubes... on the other hand if 450-470 or so isn't going to be enough for you and you decide on boost then leave the heads and intake alone, with boost those are plenty capable in stock form of making more power than most people want

04zjimc 11-13-2018 11:49 AM

So im looking to make 450 to the wheels..my car is not a dd..i like the lopy idel but dont want it to sound like farm truck. Im looking for power from idel or 1500 rpms and up. So with that said eould you go bigger on the cam? If i order texas speed heads and cam package what package would be best?

04zjimc 11-13-2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight_Z (Post 1598323797)
I asked this same exact question the other day. I’m in the same exact boat as you. I’m trying to figure out if the stage 2.5 heads by Texas speed is worth the extra 1000 bucks. Aftermarket heads are not in my budget...

I read a good port and polish and the 243 heads flow well!

99blkfrc99 11-13-2018 12:03 PM

PRC 227's milled to 60cc, Torquer V2, Fast 92. Then sell your 243's to recoup some moola.

SVRA 65 11-13-2018 02:00 PM

Katech CNC Porting Limited Special Pricing

Katech has a Special running on CNC porting $500! My LS6 heads are up there now!

93Polo 11-13-2018 02:29 PM

Katech isn't a bad deal but I would research all options to make sure they fit your end goals. I would also discuss the parts replaced, surfacing, etc with companies you are considering.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...atech-cnc.html

As with the original question, is it worth it? Depends on your budget and goals.

04zjimc 11-13-2018 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 99blkfrc99 (Post 1598328468)
PRC 227's milled to 60cc, Torquer V2, Fast 92. Then sell your 243's to recoup some moola.

that sounds like a nice combo..thanks..ok im going to throw something else at you..down the road i decide to put on a supercharger what heads and cam would you go with?

99blkfrc99 11-13-2018 07:59 PM

That is a different scenario, sort of. The heads will always help. You could run stock 243's with a blower but if you run aftermarket like the 227's, it's a win win NA or blower. The TV2 should work well with a blower too but obviously there are dedicated blower grinds that are designed for it. I recommended that combo because I almost have it. I have PRC stage 1, TV2, and Fast 92. I plan to get the 227's this winter tho. It trapped 122 which is roughly 440whp so if you add heads to the mix, it will definitely surpass 450. Out of the 4 different combos I've had with vettes, this is my favorite. I drive it everyday and run low 11's at the track. And the torque curve is amazing. Very fun driving combo. I also have 410 gears so that helps a lot in the fun department but even with 342's it was a blast.

neutron82 11-13-2018 08:27 PM

I made 850 on stock unported 243's, will be on the dyno again soon and it might be closer to 900... so if you don't plan on going that high just save the money in my opinion... of course a nice set of heads is always a good thing but in the case of a blower the extra 2 grand could be spent elsewhere like drivetrain upgrades... also keep in mind to really take advantage of ported heads on a blower car you will need to pulley down to gain back boost that was lost due to the better flow of the heads... a supercharger will flow "x" amount of air at a given rpm so freeing up restriction without adding more airflow (smaller pulley or more rpm) the gains will be minimal

cv67 11-14-2018 10:43 AM

Depends on budget, Im a big fan of new

Most guys forget these heads are getting old....you may need guides and a lot more it adds up fast!! To skip this (and many do) it leads to disaster every time.

Better to have a great head/small cam than a stock head and a big cam every time.
What is stage 2? Spend the $ on a pro you wont regret it, btdt
Or if you have shallow pockets like myself learn how to DIY. If it were me call Mamo-

I cheaped out yrs ago by 300 for a good head vs the best. 4k later those good heads today are...."ok" but honestly outdated. So you pay down a Visa big deal.

93Polo 11-14-2018 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1598333752)
Depends on budget, Im a big fan of new

Most guys forget these heads are getting old....you may need guides and a lot more it adds up fast!! To skip this (and many do) it leads to disaster every time.

Better to have a great head/small cam than a stock head and a big cam every time.
What is stage 2? Spend the $ on a pro you wont regret it, btdt
Or if you have shallow pockets like myself learn how to DIY. If it were me call Mamo-

I cheaped out yrs ago by 300 for a good head vs the best. 4k later those good heads today are...."ok" but honestly outdated. So you pay down a Visa big deal.

The 228 should be a nice mid size cam but I agree between if you have a goal and can make the power you want with a smaller cam and better heads it will drive better and likely have more torque.across the band.

243s and 799s were going on 5.3 not long ago and the guides are lasting longer. However yes you can get into being nickled and dimed to death replacing parts which was part of my comment in my post above ask about parts and what is being replaced in the base price. If you are going CNC Katech will give quality work, TEA and Advanced Induction likely make more power as from what I under the Katech CNC is a bit dated. All 3 should provide reliable work.

Katech_Zach 11-14-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 93Polo (Post 1598334291)
The 228 should be a nice mid size cam but I agree between if you have a goal and can make the power you want with a smaller cam and better heads it will drive better and likely have more torque.across the band.

243s and 799s were going on 5.3 not long ago and the guides are lasting longer. However yes you can get into being nickled and dimed to death replacing parts which was part of my comment in my post above ask about parts and what is being replaced in the base price. If you are going CNC Katech will give quality work, TEA and Advanced Induction likely make more power as from what I under the Katech CNC is a bit dated. All 3 should provide reliable work.

Actually all of our ports have been updated. We purchased a new Centroid 5-axis machine for CNC porting which allows us to digitize right on the machine. We digitized all of our older ports on that machine and the Centroid actually smoothed up a few transitions and found some airflow.

93Polo 11-14-2018 03:19 PM

I stand corrected :cheers: