CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   As suspected (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4211515-as-suspected.html)

Mr. Gizmo 11-12-2018 09:31 AM

As suspected
 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDPpl...ature=youtu.be

looks like a fair/safe heads up compare. stock c7z versus stock c6z. C7z gets easily pulled.

Warp Factor 11-12-2018 10:22 AM

Are you sure that's a C7 Z06, and not a Grand Sport? ;)

Clspht 11-12-2018 10:25 AM

I thought the C6 jumped it a little and the C7 would have gone by him if the C6 didnt back out... I guess if you are hoping for a C7 ass kicking (as we know you are), you need to look a little harder.

2MCHPWR 11-12-2018 10:43 AM


Originally Posted by Clspht (Post 1598321793)
I thought the C6 jumped it a little ...

yeah that was my friend and I. We agreed that I should get the hit because we both expected his z06 to pull on me so that only seemed fair.

Mr. Gizmo 11-12-2018 12:04 PM


Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR (Post 1598321906)
yeah that was my friend and I. We agreed that I should get the hit because we both expected his z06 to pull on me so that only seemed fair.

you might have jumped a little. — very little. But as you got to higher speeds, he wasn’t keeping up. Eventually he would have needed binoculars to see the ass end of your c6z.

Toddiesel 11-12-2018 12:05 PM

Well you started in 2nd at 34 mph. That's still 1st gear territory for the C7 Z. If you had started at say 50 or better yet, 60 in 2nd, the C7 would have pulled away easily. I've made that mistake before, starting in 2nd at a low speed roll. 2nd sucks at that rpm range. Edit: oh geez, just saw the 2nd race. started in 3rd at FIFTY??? jesus. you're not even at redline for 1st gear at 50. Why would you start in 3rd???

Mk3chris 11-12-2018 12:06 PM

The C7Z's PDR data shows he started around 2600 RPM. Seems a little below the powerband and would explain the C6 gaining little distance at the beginning but the C7 starting to gain shortly after.

Mr. Gizmo 11-12-2018 12:07 PM


Originally Posted by Toddiesel (Post 1598322442)
Well you started in 2nd at 34 mph. That's still 1st gear territory for the C7 Z. If you had started at say 50 or better yet, 60 in 2nd, the C7 would have pulled away easily. I've made that mistake before, starting in 2nd at a low speed roll. 2nd sucks at that rpm range.

the c6z could have also started in 1st at 34 mph as that is still 1st gear territory for that car too and the c7z would have still had its ass handed to it. The c7z is supposedly making 150 maybe 200 lbs more of torque then the ls7 at that rpm Even with the c6 jumping which is debatable the c7z falls off and for roll racing a stock c6z is the winner.

Toddiesel 11-12-2018 12:10 PM

From wikipedia:

C6 - The Z06 weighed 3,130 lb (1,420 kg), giving it a weight to power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower

C7- The Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has a power-to-weight ratio of 2.42 kg (5.34 lb) per horsepower.

Numbers ain't be lyin...

Sure, the C6 weighs about 400lbs less than the C7, but with 150 less hp and almost 200 fewer lb-ft torque, it just doesn't have the balls

Toddiesel 11-12-2018 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1598322457)


the c6z could have also started in 1st at 34 mph and the c7z would have still had its ass handed to it.

If the c6z started in 1st, then it definitely would have had an advantage. only if it also started in 2nd would it neutralize the advantage. Also I don't know the gearing for the c6z, but i imagine it's shorter than the c7, so even if it started in 2nd, it would still be closer to the power band

Mr. Gizmo 11-12-2018 12:18 PM


Originally Posted by Toddiesel (Post 1598322442)
Well you started in 2nd at 34 mph. That's still 1st gear territory for the C7 Z. If you had started at say 50 or better yet, 60 in 2nd, the C7 would have pulled away easily. I've made that mistake before, starting in 2nd at a low speed roll. 2nd sucks at that rpm range. Edit: oh geez, just saw the 2nd race. started in 3rd at FIFTY??? jesus. you're not even at redline for 1st gear at 50. Why would you start in 3rd???

the c6z also started in 3rd. The c6z was at a disadvantage as well with 150 maybe 200lbs less torque at that rpm. This roll out was about as equal as you can get. It was demonstrating letting the cars do the work

Clspht 11-12-2018 12:23 PM


Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1598322440)


you might have jumped a little. — very little. But as you got to higher speeds, he wasn’t keeping up. Eventually he would have needed binoculars to see the ass end of your c6z.

Are we looking at the same video? At higher speed, the C7 was pulling the C6... Watch it again

Toddiesel 11-12-2018 12:23 PM


Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1598322524)


the c6z also started in 3rd. The c6z was at a disadvantage as well with 150 maybe 200lbs less torque at that rpm. This roll out was about as equal as you can get. It was demonstrating letting the cars do the work

I've raced a couple of C6 Zs and have never had an issue leaving them in the dust. There aren't too many Z06s in the area in general. I only know of 2 other C7 Zs. I don't have a large sample to compare to, but from my anecdotal experience and just straight up math, I can't support that being a legit race. Something wasn't right. Either the C6 wasn't stock, there was a problem with the C7, they started at an optimal rolling speed and shift point for the C6 (cuz they were both TERRIBLE points for the C7), or something else was going on. I just ain't buying it.

Toddiesel 11-12-2018 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by Clspht (Post 1598322549)
Are we looking at the same video? At higher speed, the C7 was pulling the C6... Watch it again

In the first race, you are definitely right (which supports my rollout speed theory), but in the 2nd race, the C6 starts ahead and just continues to pull away (again, supporting my rollout theory)

jswatek 11-12-2018 12:31 PM

Same track, same tires, same driver, the C7 Z is faster. I have compared my times at Sebring in the two cars and average 4-5 seconds per lap faster in the C7. Straight speed going into turn 17 is a little lower in the C7 though.

Mr. Gizmo 11-12-2018 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by Clspht (Post 1598322549)
Are we looking at the same video? At higher speed, the C7 was pulling the C6... Watch it again

yes. And it is clear at the higher speeds the c7z was gaining but it was gaining long after the c6z driver let off the gas. The c6z driver is on this thread. Maybe he and his friend can chime in on this

Mk3chris 11-12-2018 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1598322524)


the c6z also started in 3rd. The c6z was at a disadvantage as well with 150 maybe 200lbs less torque at that rpm. This roll out was about as equal as you can get. It was demonstrating letting the cars do the work


I'm not sure about about "being as equal as you can get" but I would think that driving each individual car to their full potential (IE at whatever speed/gear/rpm they are capable of the best acceleration) would be the only way to tell which one is actually quicker. I'm not sure why anyone would care who is faster in a certain gear since the gear ratio and engine powerbands are different between two different model cars....

Toddiesel 11-12-2018 12:41 PM

^^^ zackly

MacRoadie 11-12-2018 12:49 PM


Originally Posted by Toddiesel (Post 1598322475)
From wikipedia:

C6 - The Z06 weighed 3,130 lb (1,420 kg), giving it a weight to power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower

C7- The Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has a power-to-weight ratio of 2.42 kg (5.34 lb) per horsepower.

Numbers ain't be lyin...

Sure, the C6 weighs about 400lbs less than the C7, but with 150 less hp and almost 200 fewer lb-ft torque, it just doesn't have the balls

I'd give up on that. It's been pointed out probably a dozen times by now (at least twice by me), but it doesn't seem to register.

xkilo16x 11-12-2018 12:51 PM

The C6Z has recorded consistent 8.6 second 60-130 times and the C7Z is between 7.8 and 8.1 seconds depending on Auto/Manual.

Half a second is enough time for the C6Z to get the jump and maintain a lead as the C7Z had to then reel that other car in.

I raced a head cam FBO C6Z (~560whp) with a solid driver (in my A8 Z06) and he started to creep away but it wasn't a walk away situation.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands