CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Wax (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4211593-wax.html)

waipahe 11-12-2018 01:42 PM

Wax

Hi. I have had my C7 for about two years.now. Love it. But I have a question for y'all about waxing. When I purchased the Vette, I had the extra protective coating applied. So, I haven't waxed it yet, and am contemplating doing so. (I contacted the vendor that applied the special coating to make sure it would be okay and not interfere with the coating if I waxed the car). Getting their ok, I am now wondering which type of wax would be best.

Therefore, am asking for your advice. Would you recommend a solid or liquid wax. Which product? I don't want to take off much paint by waxing....just want to protect it. I currently have Mothers Brazilian Carnauba cleaner wax that I use for my other car.....seems to work well. It's not liquid.

Thanks, Mike

MMD 11-12-2018 01:51 PM

Carnauba only lasts about 2 months. Waxes don't take off paint. Abrasive compound polish do that. If I were you I'd wash it, clay bar the vehicle and then apply a good sealant. I have been using a sealant Jescar Power Lock. It goes on super easy and is very easy to remove. It's amazing and lasts 6-8 months.

gtam85 11-12-2018 01:57 PM

Sealants are basically another term for synthetic wax. Carnauba doesn't last as long as synthetics, and with that being said.. you should check out the Meguiars ultimate liquid wax. Goes on real easy and lasts pretty long. Collinite wax last even longer but attracts dust like crazy. A little goes a long way!

MMD 11-12-2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by gtam85 (Post 1598323082)
Sealants are basically another term for synthetic wax. Carnauba doesn't last as long as synthetics, and with that being said.. you should check out the Meguiars ultimate liquid wax. Goes on real easy and lasts pretty long. Collinite wax last even longer but attracts dust like crazy. A little goes a long way!

basically that is wrong. Sealants are synthetic compounds and waxes are organic compounds. Sealants will last longer, are more durable offering better protection. Waxes like Carnauba offer deeper gloss. Many pro detailers will top a sealant coat with a Carnauba to get the benefits of both.

4thC4at60 11-12-2018 02:10 PM

My car is a daily driver (78,700) miles I generally apply something twice a year. Car looks great.....

gtam85 11-12-2018 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by gtam85 (Post 1598323082)

Originally Posted by MMD (Post 1598323122)

basically that is wrong. Sealants are synthetic compounds and waxes are organic compounds. Sealants will last longer, are more durable offering better protection. Waxes like Carnauba offer deeper gloss. Many pro detailers will top a sealant coat with a Carnauba to get the benefits of both.

hahah, okay..
a wax is a coating that protects and tops the clear coat.
a synthetic version of 'wax' is a sealant. don't see anything wrong there.

dbaker 11-12-2018 03:29 PM

I like these and use them on all my 4 cars.
Rejex on the nose & hood to make bug removal easier.
Collinite on remainder of car,including glass.

These seem to last about 6 mos here in SC.
Detail spray after every drive.

\db2
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5bc9edf4ac.jpg

rigelkentaurus 11-12-2018 03:36 PM

Lots of great car care products on the market. My preference for car wash and sealant/polish is the Zaino line for the body (Z-7, Z-2, Z-CS, Z-6, Z-8). I use Mothers Kalifornica Gold Chrome Polish on my chrome wheels followed by Wheel Wax. Will see how the Wheel Wax works at keeping the brake dust off as it is my first use of the product.

waipahe 11-12-2018 03:41 PM

Do you use that on your tailpipes as well?

rigelkentaurus 11-12-2018 03:45 PM

Yes, used Mothers on the tailpipe and worked really well getting them cleaned up.

dvilin 11-12-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by dbaker (Post 1598323574)

\db2

:iagree: Have used all three and they are all great, my favorite is the Collinite Insulator Wax.

MMD 11-12-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by gtam85 (Post 1598323225)
hahah, okay..
a wax is a coating that protects and tops the clear coat.
a synthetic version of 'wax' is a sealant. don't see anything wrong there.

try again. not even close. you are comparing apples and oranges. sealants are man made and much more durable than waxes. Sealants are made from crosslinked polymers not found in nature. They are synthesized chemically. They make for very hard and durable coatings. Waxes on the other hand are made from natural substances like a tree, plant, or seed, and it can also be made from an organic substance like beeswax. You cannot put a sealant on top of a wax but you can put a wax topping over a sealant. Sealants are the most widely used protective coatings enthusiasts put on their vehicle's paint. This is due primarily to their durability, ease of application, their cost, and the mirror like finishes they can yield.

dork 11-12-2018 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dbaker (Post 1598323574)

\db2

I agree with the Collinite recommendation... I use the paste wax Collinite 476 and it lasts about 9-10 months with a double application 24 hr apart.

I forgot to add... MMD is correct about the difference between sealants and waxes--sealants chemically bond and protect the paint, waxes "protect" the sealant and enhance the shine. Sealant first, 24 hr repeat, then wax 24 hr later, and wax again after another 24--however, multiple coats of wax are a diminishing return endeavor. One coat's great; two probably rewards the effort, but three isn't adding much.

Borntorun04/17 11-12-2018 05:55 PM

I have used Blackfire products on my c5 and now my 17 GS. I have had great results washing , Clay , sealant and then a wax on top of sealant. I found that the coat of wax over sealant gives car a deeper wet look. I haven't put these products over a car with coatings already applied. I get the Blackfire products from Autogeek. They have a Veterans Day sale on now with 25% off using VET25 I just restocked up on some. Post pic's after detailing no matter what product you chose. Dave

Jbnick 11-12-2018 06:02 PM

Pinacle BlackFire. There is no better in my opinion. Expensive but so is your car. The results are unmatched.
Check out autogeek.com

gtam85 11-12-2018 06:18 PM

Difference between wax and sealant

I never said they were the same, but if you go bare bones and think about it.. both serve the purpose of protecting the paint and repelling and sealants are synthetic. That's the point I was getting at

MMD 11-12-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by gtam85 (Post 1598324650)
Difference between wax and sealant

I never said they were the same, but if you go bare bones and think about it.. both serve the purpose of protecting the paint and repelling and sealants are synthetic. That's the point I was getting at

That is like comparing 30W conventional motor oil with Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 Dexos2 synthetic motor oil. Would you use 30 weight conventional motor oil in your LT1? They both do the same thing by providing lubricity to the moving parts of an internal combustion engine...right?

gtam85 11-12-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by MMD (Post 1598324733)

That is like comparing 30W conventional motor oil with Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 Dexos2 synthetic motor oil. Would you use 30 weight conventional motor oil in your LT1? They both do the same thing by providing lubricity to the moving parts of an internal combustion engine...right?

but the LT1 requires a specific oil. wax and sealants are a personal choice. some prefer one over others. one wax/sealant won't harm the vehicles paint over another choice.
but ok guy, you win. The OP asked for some advice, I gave my .02 cents.

richie15 11-12-2018 07:21 PM

I personally like Rejex. Easy to apply and lasts quite a while.

pbergmann 11-12-2018 09:32 PM

Turtle wax super hard shell.
Works great, 1 or 2 times a year.
No brainer