CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Not too loud, not too quiet. Opinions needed! Vids inside. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4211856-not-too-loud-not-too-quiet-opinions-needed-vids-inside.html)

FR-CYA 11-13-2018 08:41 AM

Not too loud, not too quiet. Opinions needed! Vids inside.

Cammed '99 FRC with headers and no cats. Had Billy Boat Bullets...way too loud. Now have Z06 Ti...way too quiet.

Recommend something in between. Sound clips on Youtube help with tone, but not decibels.

I loved the overall sound of the Bullets but the noise level and drone were killers.

*I do not want to do the bypass mod on the Z06 Ti.

Here's my car with Bullets and with Z06 Ti.

Verrückt ZR1 11-13-2018 09:22 AM

B&b prt?

dbgoodwin 11-13-2018 11:02 AM

I quite like the way B&B exhausts sound so I would probably look for something on the more tame end of the spectrum from them if I were you. l

If I ever get rid of the borla system on my car I'll probably go PRT or Bullets

mstromquist 11-13-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1 (Post 1598327472)
B&b prt?

My recommendation as well. I love mine.

Vetteman Jack 11-13-2018 07:54 PM

Maybe the Corsa Sports?

KnightDriveTV 11-23-2018 05:47 AM

No bypass mod on the ti, yet thats definitely the best option. Its the perfect compromise. I came from BB's, longtubes, no cats, with a supercharger and without. BB's got to be too much so I did a custom Ti bypass and added carbon akropovic style tips. Less weight than the BB's and while much quieter on highway, most people have told me the car sounds better actually...cleaner and better tone, still screams but doesnt scream inside. I made a big vid sound comparison and showed the tips, etc.

jdmvette 11-23-2018 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. (Post 1598381202)
No bypass mod on the ti, yet thats definitely the best option. Its the perfect compromise. I came from BB's, longtubes, no cats, with a supercharger and without. BB's got to be too much so I did a custom Ti bypass and added carbon akropovic style tips. Less weight than the BB's and while much quieter on highway, most people have told me the car sounds better actually...cleaner and better tone, still screams but doesnt scream inside. I made a big vid sound comparison and showed the tips, etc.

pics of tips & where'd you get them?

CorvetteBrent 11-23-2018 06:30 AM

Titanium exhaust was too quiet on my supercharged 2000 C5. Straight pipes proved to be too loud. Billy Boat (aka B&B) PRT exhaust was the right volume and tone, but the drone at 45 M.P.H. was irritating. So I ended upwth Borla S-Type II exhaust. This Borla has no drone, has moderate volume on the outside of the car but is quiet enough on the inside for me to hear the CD player. I wish they were a little louder, but only a little.

KnightDriveTV 11-25-2018 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by jdmvette (Post 1598381208)
pics of tips & where'd you get them?

I don't have any pics...I suppose i should take some for the archives. In this video of when I built the exhaust though, you can see the tips well at 5:10 mark. I got them on Alibaba...they are "akropovic" carbon tips. I wet sanded and re-cleared them so there are no logos on them, then I masked off the carbon and sprayed the stainless black. I paid like 16.00/pc for the tips. I did have to scavenge some ti pipe from a junk ti exhaust I had, to extend the Ti of mine, to accept the new tips securely. Bit of work but, they are 4" tips..large than the factory Ti tips and amplified the sound a bit as well. They JUST fit side by side and meet the factory outlets. Was a bit of a b*tch to get it all to work but, now the tips sit out where I like them, versus sunk in the factory ti's and they're more modern/larger.

Check out 5:10 for the tips and there is a sound comparison right after of BB's vs the "Supermodded" Ti's. One of the best mods to the car I've done...mad I didn't do it sooner. BB's were louder, but the modded Ti's sound cleaner and still pretty damn loud at wide opened throttle. Way more subtle cruising though, and no drone whatsoever.

bwill03z 11-25-2018 08:49 PM

Corsa sport, Borla s-type or B&B Route 66... The Route 66 being the quietest of the 3 but is louder than the stock ti

Route99 11-26-2018 10:58 AM

I join with the recommendations for the PRTs. Strong sound at start up and heavy acceleration, yet reasonably quiet, and most importantly, no drone at highway cruising speeds.

zeevette 11-26-2018 11:40 AM

Unless you are insistent on spending money, leave it as is. Sounds loud to me, and a very sweet tone. Could it be it's louder on the outside than what you hear with the windows closed? I also don't understand your reluctance to go the mod ti approach.

KnightDriveTV 11-26-2018 08:32 PM

^ In reference to that statement, my modded Ti system with the different, large tips is VERY quiet inside and was deceiving to me. Friends commented that, from the outside the car was quieter than my quad tip BB's, but not by much...to my ears inside, I felt like it was 75% quieter easy..I was kinda down about it thinking I'd made a mistake because on the inside of the car the BB's sound awesome (except for droning highway that is). So, your question is dead on to the OP...is it REALLY that quiet and why not the modded Ti's?

To the OP: The BB's have a lower frequency which tends to permeate the interior a lot more, thus bringing the "outside, in" in my opinion. The modded Ti's seem quiet, but if you put down the windows and rip through a tunnel, you quickly realize they are still loud as hell outside. People with modded Ti's still break sound limits at a number of US tracks, so that tells you that, though quiet inside, they aren't really quiet outside. In my opinion, that's what make the modded Ti perfect.