CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4212110-storing-in-non-heated-garage-for-winter-tips.html)

FLEXjs 11-13-2018 06:00 PM

Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

I didn't think finding storage for my Vette would be that difficult but it was a total pain in the ass. So many wankers advertising spaces and they don't reply to inquiries or calls. Made a deal with a dude to keep it in a condo building temp controlled secure garage on Sunday, then he ghosted me when I asked when we could meet to exchange cash and entry fob.

So anyway I got a 10 x 20 garage type drive-in storage unit today. Totally secure. But not temp controlled. It's around the corner from my office so I can go start the car regularly and I will keep full insurance on it so I can take it for short drives if the weather is not bad. It's going in on Saturday. Has a full tank of fuel and a fresh oil change.

Anything else I should consider? Maybe overfill the tires? If so, how much?

speedlink 11-13-2018 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by FLEXjs (Post 1598330684)
I didn't think finding storage for my Vette would be that difficult but it was a total pain in the ass. So many wankers advertising spaces and they don't reply to inquiries or calls. Made a deal with a dude to keep it in a condo building temp controlled secure garage on Sunday, then he ghosted me when I asked when we could meet to exchange cash and entry fob.

So anyway I got a 10 x 20 garage type drive-in storage unit today. Totally secure. But not temp controlled. It's around the corner from my office so I can go start the car regularly and I will keep full insurance on it so I can take it for short drives if the weather is not bad. It's going in on Saturday. Has a full tank of fuel and a fresh oil change.

Anything else I should consider? Maybe overfill the tires? If so, how much?

I would not start it periodically, unless you drive it to get it up to normal operating temperatures. I would also add Stabil to the gas. There have been some who say only have about 1/4 tank of gas, so as to not foul the fuel pump. I have normally stored in the past with a full tank and Stabil.

eseibel67 11-13-2018 06:10 PM

Changed oil - good. Dont bother starting it until spring, engines wear most at cold start. And run the tank down well below 1/4 for storage to prevent sulfur buildup on sending unit. Overfilling tires a bit is ok to help prevent flatspotting, but I find that tires go back to round fairly quickly when driven again.

FLEXjs 11-13-2018 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by eseibel67 (Post 1598330727)
Dont bother starting it until spring,

What about the battery? Wouldn't it likely be dead in 5 months without starting it occasionally?

c54u 11-13-2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by FLEXjs (Post 1598330746)
What about the battery? Wouldn't it likely be dead in 5 months without starting it occasionally?

Keep it plugged into a battery tender/maintainer.

Kevin A Jones 11-13-2018 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by FLEXjs (Post 1598330746)

Really need a battery tender, if storage unit doesn't have power might want to look somewhere else. Other than that, you don't have to do much if only storing for 5 months.

PatternDayTrader 11-13-2018 06:21 PM

Mice can do quite alot of damage over the course of a winter.

rmorin1249 11-13-2018 07:54 PM

If no power in the storage unit and battery is good take it out and put it on a tender/maintainer.

fnbrowning 11-13-2018 08:33 PM

I've got to remind you guys that a number of Corvettes slumber outside on dealership lots over the winter, with nothing more than an occasional battery charge.

While I agree that we like to maintain our babies, realistically, other than looking after the battery occasionally, you don't have to worry this hibernation. Follow the advice against idling the engine. Don't start a cold engine without a plan to drive it somewhere.

gmarcucio 11-13-2018 10:04 PM

I would give it a nice coat of wax and especially wax the wheels being they are sitting close to the ground with no detailing those months of not driving it. I always give my wheels a nice coat of wax all year round on all of my cars and it pays off people always ask me how I keep my wheels looking so nice!

JDSC8VETTE 11-13-2018 10:26 PM

Battery tender, fuel stabilizer, car cover and if there is a possibility of mice getting into it I would get a carbag that zips around the car. These are all the things I have for my car and I'm storing it inside the garage attached to my house. I figure I have about 600 bucks US invested in all the stuff I mentioned but it's peanuts compared to what I'm protecting for almost 5 Months a year.

Matthewstorm 11-13-2018 10:57 PM

What do you use for Stabil in methanol?

Zjoe6 11-13-2018 11:31 PM

Startron.

sandcracker21 11-14-2018 12:08 AM

Like others said, battery tender is important.

I use stabil in a 100% full tank and a battery tender. Other than that, I place 'stay-dry' in the interior (overkill)

X25 11-14-2018 12:09 AM

Agree with others on not starting the car during the period. Regarding how to keep engine lubricated when it's time to start months later: keep your foot on the gas (full throttle, 100%, or it won't work), and then push the start button. This will cause the engine to crank but not start, oiling it at very low RPMs. After that, just start it regularly.

JDSC8VETTE 11-14-2018 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm (Post 1598332000)
What do you use for Stabil in methanol?

There are many products including Startron that work well with Ethanol. Some guys swear by seafoam and that's all they use.

fsvoboda 11-14-2018 10:02 AM

Stabil and battery tender, and it should be fine. That's what I do. No power to storage unit? Pulling the battery and putting it on a tender might be useful, but I regularly store my boat without a tender over winters and have no problem, just trickle charge up to full voltage in spring and am good to go. One battery replacement in over a decade.

C7s are no more fragile than any other car in long term storage so far as I can see.

JDSC8VETTE 11-14-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by fsvoboda (Post 1598333482)
Stabil and battery tender, and it should be fine. That's what I do. No power to storage unit? Pulling the battery and putting it on a tender might be useful, but I regularly store my boat without a tender over winters and have no problem, just trickle charge up to full voltage in spring and am good to go. One battery replacement in over a decade.

C7s are no more fragile than any other car in long term storage so far as I can see.

Your boat doesn't have any electronic draw on your battery like the Corvette does. You will kill your battery unless you either battery tend it or remove it and battery tend it somewhere else.

Mayor111 11-14-2018 10:37 AM

Winterizing Tips (some may be overkill but Im listing them anyway):

Wash, clay and wax the car
Fill tank to full or 1/4 tank (depending what you believe) and add Stabil
Put Battery on Tender
Inflate tires to 35 psi
Change oil and oil filter
Lubricate all weatherstripping (doors, targa, Vert top, rear cargo, hood (use Meguiars Ultimate Protectant or Mother's VLR)
Clean and condition leather areas of interior
Lower windows down about an inch
Place something (soft) under tires (old floor mats, rubber shop mats, etc to avoid moisture and flat spots (many will argue this and say its not needed but I do it)
Get a "good" indoor or outdoor cover (depending where your Vette is parked for the winter)

Kiss her good-night and go cry till April...:cry

Inferno24 11-14-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by fnbrowning (Post 1598331429)
I've got to remind you guys that a number of Corvettes slumber outside on dealership lots over the winter, with nothing more than an occasional battery charge.

While I agree that we like to maintain our babies, realistically, other than looking after the battery occasionally, you don't have to worry this hibernation. Follow the advice against idling the engine. Don't start a cold engine without a plan to drive it somewhere.

I couldn't agree more! I think some over think the whole storage thing and that's fine it's your car. I bought my 2018 last October and only put around 500 miles on it before it got put away for the winter. I took it for it's 500 mile oil change, gave it a quick detail and backed it in the garage and put a light indoor cover on it and plugged in the battery tender. I didn't do anything to the tires and they were still pegged at 32 psi in the spring.

This year I just recently took it for it's second oil change at 4600 miles, detailed it the other day and backed it in the garage. I don't have the tender on it yet or the cover on as I am hoping to get out a few more times before winter really sets in.