CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Base C8 Priced As Moderately Equipped Grand Sport? Big Disappointment! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4213437-base-c8-priced-as-moderately-equipped-grand-sport-big-disappointment.html)

Michael A 11-17-2018 01:58 PM

Base C8 Priced As Moderately Equipped Grand Sport? Big Disappointment!

If the rumors are true that the base C8 is priced the same as a moderately equipped Grand Sport, then that is a big disappointment for about 40% of Corvette buyers.

A Grand Sport with 2LT, auto trans (to make it comparable to C8 DCT), and no other options has a price of $72,770 (with destination). We won't talk about discounted prices, because those vary, and GM never uses those numbers to describe pricing.

A entry level base Stingray, is $56,590, with manual ($58,315 with auto trans.).

The C8 would have a whopping 29% increase in price or a C7! In 2018, 39.3% of buyers bought the base Stingray.

I think there is a big risk to this pricing strategy. They have an aging C7 with sales dropping 5000 units a year, and they would have a new C8 that about 40% of their buyers would not be able to afford. Add to this that it appears no manual transmission will be available.

I see a lot of people jumping ship.

jimmyb 11-17-2018 02:37 PM

There's also a rumor that the car is $169,900....
I can make up any number on the planet, as can you. My suggestion would be to NOT whip yourself into a frenzy over stuff you read here or anywhere else on the internet.
Because NO ONE posting on the internet KNOWS the price.

You do realize that your post is based on ZERO facts, right?

Zaro Tundov 11-17-2018 02:49 PM

I'm hearing $60K - $65K from those who probably know. Could be that GM doesn't even know the exact price since the trade war is substantially raising their material and parts costs.

falcon5619 11-17-2018 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1598351700)
If the rumors are true that the base C8 is priced the same as a moderately equipped Grand Sport, then that is a big disappointment for about 40% of Corvette buyers.

A Grand Sport with 2LT, auto trans (to make it comparable to C8 DCT), and no other options has a price of $72,770 (with destination). We won't talk about discounted prices, because those vary, and GM never uses those numbers to describe pricing.

A entry level base Stingray, is $56,590, with manual ($58,315 with auto trans.).

The C8 would have a whopping 29% increase in price or a C7! In 2018, 39.3% of buyers bought the base Stingray.

I think there is a big risk to this pricing strategy. They have an aging C7 with sales dropping 5000 units a year, and they would have a new C8 that about 40% of their buyers would not be able to afford. Add to this that it appears no manual transmission will be available.

See the pricing poll I created in this C8 forum. It looks like over 60% of voters think the base car will be 70k or less. So, I agree with you, they risk losing a significant number of buyers if they increase the price that much. That said, I think they would be smart to target that $59,999 mark for a base C8.

Foosh 11-17-2018 03:15 PM

Michael,

I agree there is risk at that level, but think Elegant's statement was more on the high-end of possible starting price. And I'm pretty sure he was NOT talking about the MSRP of the current GS, but what you can actually buy one for today, which in the mid-60s and likely lower soon.

A 10-15% price increase will leave some traditional Corvette buyers behind, but many will stretch because of it's desirability, and it will no doubt attract new buyers who have never considered Corvette in the past. That's the likely strategy.

Bill Dearborn 11-17-2018 03:18 PM

There is no reason why a base car couldn't be priced slightly above the C7 base car. ME cars aren't any more expensive to build than any other car. The current car is pretty much built the way you would build a ME car with the chassis and drive train being installed from under the car. No reason why they can't build the C8 the same way. There is very little difference in the cost to build an econobox 4 door Vs the most expensive vehicle in a manufactures most expensive vehicle. Mainly the cost of the body and frame materials (a large SUV probably uses twice as much steel as an econobox). Everything else is pretty much the same.

Bill

Pyepye 11-17-2018 03:33 PM

I heard the C8 base model is going to be $1.2 million per copy....

Skid Row Joe 11-17-2018 04:39 PM

The only way to *"moderately price a GS," is to buy the stripped 1LT. You'll be paying at least $11,000.00 more for the GS, just as you're doing now on the C7. That's why there's so many GS 1LTs. Price point.

Skid Row Joe 11-17-2018 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by falcon5619 (Post 1598351971)
See the pricing poll I created in this C8 forum. It looks like over 60% of voters think the base car will be 70k or less. So, I agree with you, they risk losing a significant number of buyers if they increase the price that much. That said, I think they would be smart to target that $59,999 mark for a base C8.

Exactly. But that base number ain't gonna be the GS.

jimmyb 11-17-2018 05:17 PM

Your numbers are off and you should probably use 2017MY since it was a full year with no plant shut down that impacted 2018MY and (IMO) led dealers to stock up on the "easiest" to sell.

Here are 2018MY numbers:
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/docs/2018CorvetteFINALYearEnd.pdf

Here are 2017MY numbers:

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/wp-co...HWC-UPDATE.pdf

Zymurgy 11-17-2018 06:10 PM

I just removed all the off topic stuff.

Yarbie 11-17-2018 06:35 PM

It looks like a $60k car so I think thats about where it will start out at. The folks that want a bare bones car just to have a vette will be happy as this price is all they can afford. The folks that can actually afford a nicely equipped car should be the same range as the C7 upgraded cars.

tcinla 11-17-2018 08:15 PM

The most I would pay for any base corvette would be what GM has been charging historically (including the increases year to year). GM could run both FE and ME side by side, as some have postulated, in order to create a premium for the ME if they choose. In that instance, I’d wait until ME was The only Vette to buy one or wait for used inventory.

or, if GM goes REALLY crazy with pricing, I might go In A totally new direction, Porsche Taycan for $80k

DaveFerrari458 11-17-2018 08:18 PM

Here we go again!

If history is any indication and if the C8 starts at $75K it would still be the steal of the century based on looks and performance and undercut the competition in price. I just want a no excuse Corvette that does not indicate cost cutting in some areas and GM can charge whatever reasonably they want. If that means it might price out a small % of buyers so be it! It's a Corvette and it's not meant to be afforded by everyone!

And FYI, there isn't a equivalent cheaper ship to jump into if price is the only factor.

Skid Row Joe 11-17-2018 08:30 PM

A new 2019 base C7 can be had for perhaps a few bucks less than $50K out-the-door, after discount(s) and before tax title license.

.I see no reason why the same ^^^^ won't be possible @ $60K to $62.5K, out-the-door on a base 2020 C8. After getting the Big Chev. C7 Forum sponsors' discounts!

NY09C6 11-17-2018 08:31 PM

72k for the DCT model would work IMO. If the DCT is a 5k option and the manual is 67k I will order the manual ASAP.

MVPJEFF106 11-17-2018 08:34 PM

The engineering and technology to make a mid-engine car work is not a $60k price point. Even low $70's will be cutting a lot of corners. It's a lose/lose. GM engineers a base level mid engine that is A+ quality and charges upwards of $100k and they upset previous base model customers. Yet if they don't Over-engineer the car to compete with foreign exotics in the mid engine platform, they will upset a lot of high performance customers begging them to take their money.

Oneslackr 11-17-2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by MVPJEFF106 (Post 1598353294)
The engineering and technology to make a mid-engine car work is not a $60k price point. Even low $70's will be cutting a lot of corners. It's a lose/lose. GM engineers a base level mid engine that is A+ quality and charges upwards of $100k and they upset previous base model customers. Yet if they don't Over-engineer the car to compete with foreign exotics in the mid engine platform, they will upset a lot of high performance customers begging them to take their money.

A+ quality? This is GM we're talking about right? I wouldn't hold my breath while I wait for them to turn out A+ quality though I'm sure the C8 will be nice.

tcinla 11-17-2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MVPJEFF106 (Post 1598353294)

what was the MR2 and fiero msrp’s, inflation adjusted?

MVPJEFF106 11-17-2018 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by tcinla (Post 1598353407)

what was the MR2 and fiero msrp’s, inflation adjusted?

That's apples to oranges. Those cars did not have the power/weight ratios, federal safety standards, modern day technology or interior refinement. To build a mid-engine they have to re-engineer almost every major system in the vehicle to fit that platform. There will be hardly any carryover in parts that has happened in previous generations with little refinement from generation to generation.