CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   M7 to A8 regrets? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4213741-m7-to-a8-regrets.html)

65fastback 11-18-2018 03:38 PM

M7 to A8 regrets?

So....I am looking to upgrade from my base car and i am having a very hard time deciding on getting another M7 or switch to a A8. Looking at getting a z51 or hopefully a GS ( still a bit undecided between those two as well ) ....no z06

I am definitely NOT asking which is better! please lets not start that nonsense.

I just want to know if anyone here has made the switch from a M7 to the A8 and regretted it.
Thanks!

Larry/car 11-18-2018 03:58 PM

If the Automatic 8 speed Corvette transmission is like the Chevy Colorado Automatic you will be sorry. The Colorado shuttered and either over shifted or under shifted all the time, one of the reasons I traded the truck in less than two years of ownership. I will not purchase another GM automatic until the company redesignes their current model transmission.

lakemg 11-18-2018 04:08 PM

I enjoy driving my Z51 A8 (using manual mode 95% of the time) over my 1969 Z/28 4 spd car. I've learned to play around with paddle shift timing on the A8 and have a bunch of fun with it. If I were to drive the A8 exclusively in "D" all the time, I would find it to be boring unless I was drag racing it where "D" really shines.

Rebel Yell 11-18-2018 04:19 PM

I went from a C6 manual to a C6 auto, and didn't even look back. We use ours on long road trips, and it's so much easier to just push the skinny pedal. I now have an A8 in my '16 C7.

As far as the A8 goes the early ones did have a shudder problem, but as I understand the '19 A8's have been fine. However, you may want to make a separate post asking about the '19 A8's for you own peace of mind. I had the A8 TSB done on mine last month (it consisted of changing the fluid to a different viscosity fluid), and so far the shudder is gone. Good luck on your decision.

dbirdhouse1 11-18-2018 04:45 PM

Practically, if it will be your daily, used frequently in stop and go, the automatic makes sense (hold breath on mechanical concerns with the A8); OR if you are like me and you
have a second "steady eddy" car (my wife's 2013 Prius) that you can fall back on then, do as I did and get the transmission of the elite, the few, the true lovers of a relationship
with your four wheeled amour (laying it on here, huh...) and build that intimate relationship which will mark an important moment in your life, a genuine shift in paradigms (love that word, makes
me sound sophisticated) and get the SEVEN SPEED MANUAL!!!!

MikeERWNC 11-18-2018 04:50 PM

I like the A8.
Are there a lot of whiners on Corvette Forum? Yes.

You will probably be happy with either. I drive my car and spend time in ATL traffic and I am thankful I do not have to shift.
I have 60K miles on my A8 and it works fine. Chevy has taken care of all of my issues.

Skid Row Joe 11-18-2018 04:51 PM

If you do go AT from M7 you'll be the first poster that didn't regret it later that I've read on forum. The only regrets I've read are from the ones that went AT. >>>> Numerous members have stated precisely that - time after time.

65fastback 11-18-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1598356833)
If you do go AT from M7 you'll be the first poster that didn't regret it later that I've read on forum. The only regrets I've read are from the ones that went AT. >>>> Numerous members have stated precisely that - time after time.

interesting...Yeah i wonder if the A8 regret from those guy is because they are having shudder issues? and not the actual driving experience difference.

FLEXjs 11-18-2018 05:18 PM

Personally I would never opt for an automatic transmission if a manual were available, especially in a sports car. When I was shopping for my C7 I only considered the M7.

Every auto I've ever had I've shifted it manually anyway. Heck, I rented a cargo van this summer to help move my son and it had an auto with a manual mode and I drove it in manual mode. :)

jversluis 11-18-2018 05:21 PM

17 z51 with A8 and love it. I go between manual and auto. It does do some weird things when going between v8 and v4 but I dont get much issue with it. Highway cruising I drop it in manual to keep it in v8 mode and no issues.
Going for the Range AFM in spring. The A8 does bang off the gears nicely. I tracked it once an NCM track and in track mode its a beast.

Sconn 11-18-2018 05:27 PM

I went from a manual (not Vette) to an A8 Vette. After 2 years of driving the manual, I was kinda getting over it. It's really hard to text and drive with a manual (TOTALLY KIDDING!)

But, seriously, I was kinda getting over the shifting thing. That said, I did want a manual Vette, but ended up with the auto. Just happened upon one I couldn't pass up...

Do I regret it? Yup... Not because of having any problems (yet), just because I do miss the feel of a manual. It is just more engaging. Period.

saleen556 11-18-2018 05:53 PM

In all honesty if you have to ask then get the auto. I’m sure you’ll be happy. M7 guys know that the auto isn’t even an option. You really can’t go wrong with either choice. Both great in their own way.

Corgidog1 11-18-2018 06:04 PM

Barring a physical limitation is there anyone on this forum who switched from an auto to a stick and regretted it?

65fastback 11-18-2018 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by saleen556 (Post 1598357152)
In all honesty if you have to ask then get the auto. I’m sure you’ll be happy. M7 guys know that the auto isn’t even an option. You really can’t go wrong with either choice. Both great in their own way.

I didn't ask for anyones opinion on what trans i should get.
Ive driven manuals for most of my 52 years on this planet.

Ive also had my M7 C7 for almost a year now and really like it, how do i become a member of the exclusive the "M7" club ? these folks are superior to others it seems.

saleen556 11-18-2018 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 65fastback (Post 1598357271)
I didn't ask for anyones opinion on what trans i should get.
Ive driven manuals for most of my 52 years on this planet.

Ive also had my M7 C7 for almost a year now and really like it, how do i become a member of the exclusive the "M7" club ? these folks are superior to others it seems.

Sorry I meant if you are now questioning yourself about the M7 then you may want to consider the auto. Sounds like you may be tired of it. I know this happens. I personally get bored in an auto sports car. I enjoy the shifting myself. I know the auto is faster but don’t care. I sure as hell don’t think I’m better for it 😄👍🏻

Skid Row Joe 11-18-2018 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 65fastback (Post 1598356973)
interesting...Yeah i wonder if the A8 regret from those guy is because they are having shudder issues? and not the actual driving experience difference.

A8 issues aside, was my observation. I have faith that GM, will eventually favorably take care of all A8s. I might be dead wrong though.

Members report regret losing their manuals. No regret reported losing automatics. It's a big decision to make. Especially if your driving experience is satisfied with an automatic.

I'm empathetic to those that get stuck in bumper-to - bumper traffic as a twice daily grind in a manual. I get that.

Skid Row Joe 11-18-2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sconn (Post 1598357037)
I went from a manual (not Vette) to an A8 Vette. After 2 years of driving the manual, I was kinda getting over it. It's really hard to text and drive with a manual (TOTALLY KIDDING!)

But, seriously, I was kinda getting over the shifting thing. That said, I did want a manual Vette, but ended up with the auto. Just happened upon one I couldn't pass up...

Do I regret it? Yup... Not because of having any problems (yet), just because I do miss the feel of a manual. It is just more engaging. Period.

This is the type of testimonial that I mentioned. ^^^|

Avanti 11-18-2018 06:46 PM

Okay, I just read your post title and I'm already regretting it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(but, do enjoy however you decide :yesnod: )

65fastback 11-18-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by saleen556 (Post 1598357344)

Sorry I meant if you are now questioning yourself about the M7 then you may want to consider the auto. Sounds like you may be tired of it. I know this happens. I personally get bored in an auto sports car. I enjoy the shifting myself. I know the auto is faster but don’t care. I sure as hell don’t think I’m better for it 😄👍🏻

I appreciate your response! didn't mean to come unglued on you! :thumbs:
I get the impression form a lot of people that somehow driving a manual is a kind of badge of honor or something? make's them better than simpletons that drive auto's. I just dont like that kind of attitude sorry.

Ive driven a couple C7 A8's but for only a short time in each, I am really torn... because 1 of the reasons is because the auto IS faster.

_zebra 11-18-2018 06:50 PM

i miss my testicles

but for real, for you who's been driving stick for that long (again, unless there's a physical limitation that complicates driving a standard), most folks i've talked to get bored in an auto... like Ricky Bobby not knowing what to do with his hands - or me personally randomly shoving my left foot into an empty floorboard or accidentally grasping at air in front of the HVAC (or even worse, almost pulling the stick out of D into God-only-knows-what) whenever i find myself behind the wheel of an auto.