CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4214162-anybody-in-california-failing-smog-tests-with-thier-z.html)

VikingTrad3r 11-19-2018 08:41 PM

anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z?

curious if this is happening or are people still able to pass. is there an age where the vehicles are grandfathered?

VT

Crabs 11-19-2018 09:48 PM

Nope.
Not yet, anyway.
But it's getting closer and closer every year.
My '90 has a Haibec Chip and a Flowmaster exhaust, other than that she's stock and she passes without problems, so far............
Damn, just jinxed myself.

TomC

ccmano 11-19-2018 09:52 PM

There have been countless discussions on this subject both here and over on the ZR1.net forum. This one about sums it up. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eeds-cats.html

California has actually made emissions requirements tougher now than when the car was new. It’s part of their active campaign to remove older cars from the road. There is no getting around it in California. That said with some tweaking a stock Z can generally be made to pass (Bearly) Do some searches on the forums and you’ll find some ideas.
H
:cheers:

zrc3john 11-22-2018 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ccmano (Post 1598364452)
There have been countless discussions on this subject both here and over on the ZR1.net forum. This one about sums it up. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eeds-cats.html

California has actually made emissions requirements tougher now than when the car was new. It’s part of their active campaign to remove older cars from the road. There is no getting around it in California. That said with some tweaking a stock Z can generally be made to pass (Bearly) Do some searches on the forums and you’ll find some ideas.
H

How about a fully ported cammed LT-5? Would that pass.....??

ccmano 11-22-2018 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by zrc3john (Post 1598378522)
How about a fully ported cammed LT-5? Would that pass.....??

If cammed probably not. It’s the NOx that is the issue. The NOx threshold has actually been reduced. They also do a visual inspection and it must have all the original emissions equipment including air injection, exhaust manifolds and cats. If your ported and cammed likely you have headers too. That’s not to say someone somewhere in CA hasn’t finagled that somehow.
H

zrc3john 11-22-2018 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ccmano (Post 1598378697)

If cammed probably not. It’s the NOx that is the issue. The NOx threshold has actually been reduced. They also do a visual inspection and it must have all the original emissions equipment including air injection, exhaust manifolds and cats. If your ported and cammed likely you have headers too. That’s not to say someone somewhere in CA hasn’t finagled that somehow.
H

Not a good place to own a Z I would imagine..400 HP is laughable today...

ccmano 11-22-2018 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by zrc3john (Post 1598378806)
Not a good place to own a Z I would imagine..400 HP is laughable today...

Not sure I would go that far. Not everyone owns a Z to have the fastest car around. We are dealing with 1980/90’s technology after all. It does make it frustrating for CA owners. CA is a frustrating place on many levels.
H

Z51JEFF 11-22-2018 01:34 PM

If Ca drops the MAX levels on the Nox reading I’m done but won’t go away quietly. I’ll look into a class action lawsuit against the State and see how that goes.

zrc3john 11-22-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ccmano (Post 1598378846)

Not sure I would go that far. Not everyone owns a Z to have the fastest car around. We are dealing with 1980/90’s technology after all. It does make it frustrating for CA owners. CA is a frustrating place on many levels.
H

Yeah but look at the weather you guys get...I mean its perfect almost everyday....Being a corvette owner for many many years I do understand its not about HP all the time...Thing about the Z though is that other vettes that were produced after it were more powerful and better all around ( Z06) and cost less it seemed....Even the C6Z cost 72-78K new...A 95 ZR-1 was in the area of 70-75K new....By that time though the Z's popularity was on the steep decline so maybe some buyers got some good deals from the showroom..

Today they are making excellent cars for the money....The car does respond well to mods..Porting,cams, exhaust do wonders for the LT-5...

ccmano 11-22-2018 06:06 PM

I’m in Northern Nevada now, I try not to spend too much time in CA if I can help it. If you live in CA long enough like I did you realize the weather isn’t everything. As for the cars it’s like everything else, there is always a bigger, faster, better one.
H

Z51JEFF 11-22-2018 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ccmano (Post 1598379774)
I’m in Northern Nevada now, I try not to spend too much time in CA if I can help it. If you live in CA long enough like I did you realize the weather isn’t everything. As for the cars it’s like everything else, there is always a bigger, faster, better one.
H

All the other crap far offsets the nice weather in California.

81c3 11-25-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF (Post 1598380332)

All the other crap far offsets the nice weather in California.

I lived in California for 1 year when I was younger.... that was enough to satisfy my curiosity. Went back once to take the family to Disney Land which sucked in comparison to Disney World... Then again to see my son graduate from basic training Marine Corps in San Diego....Ill probably never go back.

I heard/read something very disturbing for my state of Colorado.... we are now adopting California's emission standard for new cars in 2020.... The slippery slope begins...Dont know how that will effect older cars yet.... damn eco-nazis... I am yet to understand how any other state would adopt anything from a state that is an economic and social failure....but I guess thats the new way of thinking these days.... :crazy:

Corvettes White 11-28-2018 10:56 PM

California is the 5th largest economy in the world. Up from 12 or 13 a few years ago. That said, if those in office ever had to work for a living and not just talk, it would be the 3rd largest because the middle class would still have jobs.
George

cv67 12-04-2018 08:10 AM

Cost of living, traffic and crime-not worth it anymore.
x2 on getting real real hard to pass any 80-s 90s car anymore.

Crabs 12-08-2018 10:19 AM

Wish me luck guys, just got the notice from the DMV, gotta get a smog.
*fingers crossed*

'Crabs

Dynomite 12-08-2018 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crabs (Post 1598464751)
Wish me luck guys, just got the notice from the DMV, gotta get a smog.
*fingers crossed*

'Crabs

I wish you Lots of Luck :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Crabs 12-08-2018 02:44 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...57005bf732.jpg
Passed!!!
#'s not all that bad, the HC and the NO are getting closer, but still passed with flying colors.

Yay!!

'Crabs

Dynomite 12-08-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Crabs (Post 1598466124)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...57005bf732.jpg
Passed!!!
#'s not all that bad, the HC and the NO are getting closer, but still passed with flying colors.

Yay!!

'Crabs

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
Either your SMOG check guy is "special" or your Z is "special" :cheers:

Crabs 12-08-2018 04:08 PM

I didn't do anything special prior to the smog other than a 20 minute spirited drive around the, shall we say, less "Patrolled" roads in my general area.
She was good and hot when I pulled into the smog shop. :-)
The technician did come into the waiting room and complimented my Z, other than that nothing funny going on there.
I did leave her in low power mode and removed the key.
The oil in her is about 3 years old, and I've never used sea-foam or any other "Emissions Enhancement" products in her.
And I had just filled her tank a couple of weeks ago with Chevron Supreme (that's all I ever put in her, no discount gas ever).

'Crabs

ccmano 12-08-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Crabs (Post 1598466499)
I didn't do anything special prior to the smog other than a 20 minute spirited drive around the, shall we say, less "Patrolled" roads in my general area.
She was good and hot when I pulled into the smog shop. :-)
The technician did come into the waiting room and complimented my Z, other than that nothing funny going on there.
I did leave her in low power mode and removed the key.
The oil in her is about 3 years old, and I've never used sea-foam or any other "Emissions Enhancement" products in her.
And I had just filled her tank a couple of weeks ago with Chevron Supreme (that's all I ever put in her, no discount gas ever).

'Crabs

Congrats, glad it worked out for you. You can relax for 2 more years. Is the car modded in any way?
H