CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Are Ceramic Brake Pads needed on base Stingray? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4214269-are-ceramic-brake-pads-needed-on-base-stingray.html)

HorsePower Junkie 11-20-2018 08:30 AM

Are Ceramic Brake Pads needed on base Stingray?

Do the Original Equipment Brake Pads on the base model (non-Z51) Stingrays have the problem of putting brake dust on the wheels? - Or is this more of an issue on Z51, GS, and Z06?

Are the original equipment brake pads on a base Stingray fine, and don't produce much brake dust, and don't put brake dust on the wheels?

Or if needed, are the Ceramic Brake Pads the cure to keep the wheels free of brake dust?

Is it just the front pads that are the problem of putting brake dust on the wheels?

Do the rear pads produce much dust on the wheels?

If the Original Equipment pads do produce a bunch of brake dust on the wheels, which brand of Ceramic pads are the most economically priced for a Garage Queen that will never see the track?

And where can they be found for the best price please? Anyone have a link where to buy them?

Also, please let me know if there are any that make the rotor brown. Definitely want to stay away from any that discolor the brake rotors!

Thanks in advance!!

dfettero 11-20-2018 08:32 AM

Powerstop Z-26

Walt White Coupe 11-20-2018 08:46 AM

Pads on the base car (non Z51) produce very little dust. I don't know for sure what they are made of but I wouldn't be surprised if the base pads were "ceramic". When I need replacements I will stay with the stock GM pad.

kenownr 11-20-2018 09:09 AM

I agree with Walt. The base Stingray OEM pads produce very little dust and are probably ceramic. Also, the rotors are made differently (I forget the exact terminology) and coated with a material that appears to show little wear. I have 38K on my 15 A8, and the rotors look like a car with 4 or five thousand miles and hardly any wear. I'm pretty sure I'll change pads this spring JUST because of the mileage but will definitely buy the OEM pads.

4thC4at60 11-20-2018 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=kenownr;1598366027<snip> I'm pretty sure I'll change pads this spring JUST because of the mileage but will definitely buy the OEM pads.[/QUOTE]

I'm at 79,000 with original brake pads, looks as if they've likely got another 30K in them. My C6 pads went to 100K+, and all of my C4s went to 100K+

In fairness, most of my miles are highway miles.....

John Micheal Henry 11-20-2018 09:18 AM

Ceramic pads are standard equipment on base Corvette's..

Walt White Coupe 11-20-2018 09:59 AM

Base rotors are "Ferritic Nitro-Carburized" to create a 10 micron thick hard coating that not only reduces rotor wear but also reduces corrosion. GM expects the technology to double the life of brake rotors with life expectancy up to 80,000 miles. At 15,000 miles my rotors are showing no observable wear and still have a mirror finish.

General Motors engineers and scientists have developed and are starting to deploy FNC coating for brake rotors. FNC stands for Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing, a chemical case-hardening process whereby nitrogen and carbon are diffused into the surface of a ferrous metal such as steel or cast iron. This exclusive, patented process is being applied to the brake rotors of a number of GM vehicles. It not only reduces or eliminates corrosion, it results in a finish that is harder and stronger, thus increasing the life of the rotors. The FNC protection lasts for about 60,000 km in highly corrosive environments such as the east coast and up to double that in less severe areas such as the prairies. The initial testing of the new rotors was conducted in Atlantic Canada. The process involves heating the rotors in special ovens the size of a tour bus at 560 degrees Celsius where they are exposed to a nitrogen-rich atmosphere for 24 hours. The nitrogen atoms bond to the surface of the rotor.

This process is not done to Z51 rotors because the more aggressive Z51 brake pads would quickly cut through the coating making it not cost effective.

orca1946 11-20-2018 12:13 PM

All pads make dust as they work. Yours are of a very low amount that i would replace when needed with o e m pads.

joemessman 11-20-2018 12:32 PM

I have over 82,000 miles on mine, and they have a long way to go before I would have to replace them. I do a lot of hard braking before turns. I don't baby this car one bit. Amazing brakes on these Stingrays! Very little dust build up. :thumbs:

Avanti 11-20-2018 01:43 PM

No.

jimmbbo 11-20-2018 04:28 PM

Thanks for the information on the Stingray brake technology, gents... Now I know why so little brake dust is deposited on my wheels... Much less than my Mustang GT...