CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   No more leaf springs!!!! C5Z06 want coilovers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4214650-no-more-leaf-springs-c5z06-want-coilovers.html)

SVT_Z06 11-21-2018 10:05 AM

No more leaf springs!!!! C5Z06 want coilovers

Coilover Goals:

-Occasionally drag
-Want great handling over bumpy roads
-Want the car to track and hug the road
-Do not want to pay over $1300 (I don't road race)
-Removal of leaf springs
-Minimize bump steer

Lb recommendations welcome for all around great road compliance.

Handling is more important than ride height to me.

I understand the importance of tires, sway bars, bushings, alignment, etc. Just need your thoughts/recommendations on coilovers.

Thank you so so much!!!

'Shifter 11-21-2018 10:23 AM

I don't have them, but I've been eyeballing the Aldan units.

MR Turco 11-21-2018 10:58 AM

You may want to try the drag racing forums. I would recommend resetting expectations with such a low target price point though.

acroy 11-21-2018 11:09 AM

That price point will buy a cheap set of coilovers, which may not deliver on everything you want. Or it will buy a set of good quality shocks, such as the koni sports I just bought. Nothing wrong with the leaf spring, unless you just want to get rid of it.

charger21 11-21-2018 11:34 AM

You can achieve all of your goals with a good set of shocks at that price point. I'd MUCH rather have a good set of shocks and leaf springs than a cheap set of coilovers.

village idiot 11-21-2018 02:30 PM

Drag racing, smooth ride over bumps and twisties are all kind of different deals. It's kind of like wanting tires for drag racing, great wear and road racing. You're not going to get all three in one shock. Drag racing and twisties are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum for sure. Maybe an adjustable shock will get you good comfort and better in the twisties, but you're not going to get twisties and drag racing.

SVT_Z06 11-21-2018 02:55 PM

I drive the car daily. So that's more important to me than drag racing, as I only occasionally drag race.

Maybe I should have clarified that.

I guess what i'm looking for is a decent coil over....mainly for great handling and feel on the street and occasional track days.

Maybe the "best of all worlds" coilover??? Hahahaha

Werks 11-21-2018 03:13 PM

A "best of all worlds" coilover for less than $325 per corner ($1300 total) is not going to happen. Anything that you will be able to find for that price will be very low quality, like Stance or something like that. Check on E-bay, that's probably your best bet for coilovers in that price range. Rather than compromising and buying a set of budget coil overs you are going to be much better served not upgrading for a while and saving up a bit more so that you can buy quality parts . Quality matters with these things, learn from other peoples past mistakes. Just talk to some of the ones that jumped on the low cost Pfadt coilover bandwagon a few years ago and ask them about all of the problems that they had with them lol!:hide:

kflee 11-21-2018 03:32 PM

I have DRM Bilstein Coilovers on my C5 Z06 for street/HPDE. Car has been corner balanced, but everything else in the suspension is stock. Love them! I think they are $1900 new.

Kirk

SVT_Z06 11-21-2018 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 1598374039)
A "best of all worlds" coilover for less than $325 per corner ($1300 total) is not going to happen. Anything that you will be able to find for that price will be very low quality, like Stance or something like that. Check on E-bay, that's probably your best bet for coilovers in that price range. Rather than compromising and buying a set of budget coil overs you are going to be much better served not upgrading for a while and saving up a bit more so that you can buy quality parts . Quality matters with these things, learn from other peoples past mistakes. Just talk to some of the ones that jumped on the low cost Pfadt coilover bandwagon a few years ago and ask them about all of the problems that they had with them lol!:hide:

Nice. Thank you. Maybe up my budget to $2000 then?

SVT_Z06 11-21-2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by kflee (Post 1598374143)
I have DRM Bilstein Coilovers on my C5 Z06 for street/HPDE. Car has been corner balanced, but everything else in the suspension is stock. Love them! I think they are $1900 new.

Kirk

Thanks, Kirk! Do you have a part number?

'Shifter 11-21-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by SVT_Z06 (Post 1598374409)
Thanks, Kirk! Do you have a part number?

http://dougrippie.com/products/drm-c...-package-c5c6/

SVT_Z06 11-21-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 'Shifter (Post 1598374980)

Thank you!

MX621 11-22-2018 02:13 PM

https://www.bcracing-usa.com/product...iABEgJDxfD_BwE

might work for your needs. U can select spring rates. Rebuildable with a one year warranty

DudeWithAVette 11-22-2018 02:47 PM

What are the options for a more dedicated autox/hpde car?

Vansteel JRi is the top end but just shy of $4k
LG G2 are quality made but no shock adjustments for $2.5k
Read that the LG GT2 kit isn't as well made as the G2 but is adjustable.
The Aldan kit looks promising.

z06801 11-22-2018 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MX621
https://www.bcracing-usa.com/product...iABEgJDxfD_BwE

might work for your needs. U can select spring rates. Rebuildable with a one year warranty

I actually bought a set of these for my 911turbo as a stop gap measure until I could get something better and do the whole suspension, but they ended up being quite good, great for the street and even a big improvement for the track. So for a more budget type coilover I think it's a good choice.

Dane@LGmotorsports 11-24-2018 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by DudeWithAVette (Post 1598379099)
What are the options for a more dedicated autox/hpde car?

Vansteel JRi is the top end but just shy of $4k
LG G2 are quality made but no shock adjustments for $2.5k
Read that the LG GT2 kit isn't as well made as the G2 but is adjustable.
The Aldan kit looks promising.

Where did you read that? The GT2 kit is meant to be a more budget friendly kit but I wouldn't say not as well made. We also warranty our products, I recently sent out a replacement for a shock failure on a kit purchased 5 years ago.

MatthewMiller 11-26-2018 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by charger21 (Post 1598372720)
You can achieve all of your goals with a good set of shocks at that price point. I'd MUCH rather have a good set of shocks and leaf springs than a cheap set of coilovers.

This. So much this.

Over on the C4 forum I waded into a big debate on this. For the life of me I don't understand why anyone thinks coil springs have any inherent advantages over monoleaf springs. They both do exactly the same things. If you switch to coilovers of the same wheel rate as the leafs they replace, the car won't know the difference. The only real advantage to coilovers is a wider availability of different rates, and the ability to change out springs for different rate more quickly (at least in front). But the OP is looking mainly for ride comfort with occasional drag racing duty, so that one advantage is not important to him at all.

I'd suggest he look at Koni or Ridetech shocks. He can set them toward the softer side for general ride comfort, and the fronts full-soft for drag racing. Then he can pocket the extra money he didn't spend and use it for something else.

SVT_Z06 11-26-2018 02:32 AM

Adding to my goals...

Removing the "skittering" around on rough, uneven roads
Reduce/remove wheel hop under acceleration
More stable over rough road surfaces
Removing the undulation when going over a bump while cornering/turning

I'm most likely going with Aldans.

MatthewMiller 11-26-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by SVT_Z06 (Post 1598395043)
Adding to my goals...

Removing the "skittering" around on rough, uneven roads
Reduce/remove wheel hop under acceleration
More stable over rough road surfaces
Removing the undulation when going over a bump while cornering/turning

I'm most likely going with Aldans.

Everything I wrote in the post above still applies to these additional goals. The form of spring you have in your car has absolutely nothing to do with any of these problems. All of this sounds like damper issues to me. I would recommend you forget about spending money on coilovers and focus instead just on getting good shocks that are intended for the purpose you describe. And Aldan isn't that, from what I can see. They don't even tell you whose shocks they're actually using, how they're valved, monotube or twin tube, etc.