CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   AGM Battery Choice (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4215502-agm-battery-choice.html)

Mike Green9 11-23-2018 04:52 PM

AGM Battery Choice

Hi.

My '08 (base C6 bought new - battery in engine compartment) is running on the original Delco battery. I don't want to chance going any longer on the battery. I would like to change to an AGM battery.

1. Would you recommend AC Delco or Optima Yellow ?
2. What is the product code for your recommendation ?
3. Are there any issues with agm batteries on the C6 i.e. longevity, lots of sitting time problems, any special battery tender to use ( I currently use a C-TEK 3300), etc. ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
M....

Corvette_Ed 11-23-2018 04:56 PM

Optima Red Top. Yellow is for marine use.

SixAddict 11-23-2018 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed (Post 1598383673)

:iagree: I've been running a red top since 2015, AZ heat hasn't killed it yet.

Mike Green9 11-23-2018 05:08 PM

Thanks Corvette Ed. What is the Red Top model number for the C6?

M...

Corvette_Ed 11-23-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Green9 (Post 1598383712)
Thanks Corvette Ed. What is the Red Top model number for the C6?

M...

Sorry, but I don't know that right off hand. Any parts store you purchase one from should be able to look up the correct part number up for you. I will say that I've had mine for two years, and I've gone as long as four weeks while the car sat in the garage without a tender without having any issues with starting the car.

2008 Corvette 11-23-2018 05:25 PM

Red Top

Group 35 Optima Red Top. Bought on ebay same price just about anywhere $232.00.

rkj427 11-23-2018 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette (Post 1598383786)
Group 35 Optima Red Top. Bought on ebay same price just about anywhere $232.00.

:iagree:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...af334d56cb.jpg

TomdaToolman 11-23-2018 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Green9 (Post 1598383647)
Hi.

My '08 (base C6 bought new - battery in engine compartment) is running on the original Delco battery. I don't want to chance going any longer on the battery. I would like to change to an AGM battery.

1. Would you recommend AC Delco or Optima Yellow ?
2. What is the product code for your recommendation ?
3. Are there any issues with agm batteries on the C6 i.e. longevity, lots of sitting time problems, any special battery tender to use ( I currently use a C-TEK 3300), etc. ?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
M....

Optima's Blue Top is the deep cycle battery for marine & RV use!
Yellow Top is for vehicles heavy with accessories! I have had 3 yellow top batteries for my GMC conversion van and they have been awesome for watching movies and playing console games while waiting for & riding the ferries, When the yellow top's price went from $189 to $270 plus, I went with an Interstate battery at Costco, which no longer sells Optimas.
Red Top is their high performance battery and would be a great choice for the Corvette, in my opinion, with the power for accessories shutting off after 10 minutes

TomdaToolman 11-23-2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed (Post 1598383673)

Blue top is for marine & RV use!

BadAV 11-24-2018 08:05 AM

I will be the dissenting voice on Optima Red Tops. They are not a top choice since Johnson Controls bought Optima quite a few years back. I had a bad one in my Avalanche that was replaced under warranty, and the replacement went bad in about 2 years. A simple Google search will reveal they have had more than their fair share of problems. For the record, I used to work for JCI and am familiar with their automotive-related products.

I would suggest an Odyssey as a better choice, if they make the correct size.

dshamrick 11-24-2018 08:52 AM

What timing. I just had this conversation with the Owner of the shop I use for everything not under warranty.

He told me what a lot of people say here that since Optima was bough they went to junk. He says he only recommends AC Delco and would suggest the AC Delco AGM.battery. If you really want to use Optima, then choose between the RED top, max starting and Yellow top a more deep cycle. I have had mine now for about 6 years and when I bought it it already had a Yellow top in it. Still doing great. In fact, it can sit for several weeks and still starts right up.

87SAM 11-24-2018 09:27 AM

Since your original Delco battery lasted 10 years, not sure why you’re looking elsewhere.

Kenny94945 11-24-2018 09:36 AM

During my c5 ownership I too was not impressed by the Red Top.
Advantage of the OEM Delco is it fits exactly.
So many threads on this; noting there are the three manufactories (I recall) of all batteries including Johnson Controls.
Ease of warranty (Napa Auto Parts for example) could be a consideration.
There are choices with more CCA than the OEM spec, which could be desirable.
Good luck in your decision.

windyC6 11-24-2018 10:44 AM

This sounds like another one of those...."What ever battery I have is the best"...threads......:hide:.....:woohoo:

Boomer111 11-24-2018 10:50 AM

I have had excellent performance with both red and yellow tops.

Mike Green9 11-24-2018 04:24 PM

Hi.

I think at this point I'm going to keep my C6 as much GM as possible. Delco AGM it is.

Does anyone have a GM p/n?

Thanks for all your input.

M....

Vet Interested 11-24-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 87SAM (Post 1598386296)
Since your original Delco battery lasted 10 years, not sure why you’re looking elsewhere.

:iagree: No brainer. Why even ask?

BLEKVET 11-24-2018 05:49 PM

I run the Yellow top - it’s for high drain conditions and heavy vibration conditions. My Corvette presents both due to mods.

Eritosthenes 11-24-2018 10:10 PM

I bought an Optima Yellow top to replace the original, which died at 39 months. My '07 vert Red has been my daily driver for the 140,000 miles and I'm on my third Yellow top. Not that there's anything at all wrong with the Red top. As with any battery (AGM or not) that isn't designed for deep discharge, it will lose about 10% of its charge capacity (rule of thumb) every time it goes down far enough to require a jump. My Red rarely sits untouched for 2+ weeks. But it has discharged completely more than once, especially during the first year. With an AGM battery designed for deep discharge like the Yellow top I never have to worry about this.

Far more than brand or construction type, the leading cause of premature battery failure is high ambient temperature. For years Corvette owners along the Gulf coast (especially in south Texas and Florida) have reported battery failures in as little as 24 months. This is a problem for all brands, even if the car is driven every day and not stored 5-6 months a year.

Incidentally, there is a Battery Tender model they claim is designed especially for AGM batteries. But if you already have a tender, it will work fine with any battery.

buckmeister2 11-24-2018 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 87SAM (Post 1598386296)

My thoughts, exactly. Is the Optima going to last 20?