CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   I tried hard to go to the "dark side" today... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4215859-i-tried-hard-to-go-to-the-dark-side-today.html)

retcav1sg 11-24-2018 08:15 PM

I tried hard to go to the "dark side" today...

Went and looked at a C7 today with the intention of buying. It was a 2014 Z51 3LT convertible, great looking car. It also had the comp seats and mag ride. I wanted so badly to love the car but I just couldn't. I'm a big guy, 6'2" and very broad at the shoulders, and the comp seats were not it. Just for the sake of comparison I tried another vette at the same dealer with the base seats and they weren't much better. The exterior looked great but the place where all the time is spent just didn't hit the mark for me. Many have said that the new interiors are wonderful and material wise they are but they just seem so much tighter than the C6 interior. I know on paper the dimensions are the same but the fit definitely is not. Soooooo I went and looked at another car and wound up buying it. I've been gone for about a year or so and my last vette was a 2011 GS Vert (I missed that car), now I have a 2013 GS Vert, getting in it and driving it home was like slipping on that comfortable pair of shoes that fit so well. The C7 seemed to be a great car, just not for me.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...774d41555d.jpg

PAYOU944 11-24-2018 08:27 PM

Nice car. I think you did the right thing
C6 forever

CWIC 11-24-2018 09:16 PM

:iagree:
That is a beauty, good decision!

RonNSoCal 11-24-2018 09:56 PM

I can remember wanting a new BMW Z4 in the worst way until I test drove one. Like your experience, though, it just did not fit like my old 3 series M Roadster I had owned a few years earlier. And like you, I sat in a C6 at my local dealer and it was just right! I felt like Goldilocks! Congratulations on finding the one that is just right for you.

BLEKVET 11-25-2018 12:03 AM

Happy for you, Op. beautiful Vette.

Jstan2014 11-25-2018 01:10 AM

Welcome back!
Congrats on your sharp Grand Sport! I’ll take a C6 any day and any time over a C7. (No offense to the C7 fans, they’re just not for me)

Dave Tracy 11-25-2018 02:22 AM

Couldn't agree with you more regarding the "feeling" of the C7 seats. I, too, am 6'2" and the squished in feeling the seats give my shoulders is uncomfortable. I can only imagine how I would feel after putting 100 miles on it to go to LA only to have to come back.

449er 11-25-2018 08:26 AM

You made the right decision sticking with the C6, nice looking car btw

Sabre34 11-25-2018 09:10 AM

Great looking car. Congrats and enjoy!

94sundevil 11-25-2018 09:21 AM

Same conclusion I came to after driving a couple of Z06s. Like the look of the outside and inside, just couldn’t get comfortable driving. Maybe the c8 will be different.

enventr 11-25-2018 09:34 AM

Congratulations! Beautiful car as I’m partial to black verts! Good luck

cal45 11-25-2018 09:54 AM

Congrats!
I went thru the very same with trying out cockpit fit and agree that the C7 is too tight (for me). I fit a lot better in my C6.......Now if someone gave me a C7 ZR1, I wouldn't turn it away but would still keep my 60th Anniversary GS. ;)

windyC6 11-25-2018 10:17 AM

I've only sat in a few C-7's.......and to be honest most have been brand new in a dealers showrooms. But with that said and even though they were brand new, I can see quite a big improvement in the C-7 interiors. While I love my C-6....the cheap interior is probably the cars biggest weak point. Just as most "expert" (LOL) write ups seem to bring out, the cheap plastic parts, the cheap seating material, and just over all poor quality and construction is just a crying shame. GM could have, and should have done a better job on their flagship sports car.......:flag:

BlindSpot 11-25-2018 10:21 AM

Beautiful C6 GS.

Ditto - I went to the Phoenix Auto Show Friday. There was a GS there. I got in (wedged in) and, at 6'5" I proved to myself and two others, once again, I do NOT fit in the cockpit of any C7. I'm not wide at 200lbs, but when I sit in, seat all the way back, my knees end up on the sides of the steering wheel. My right leg is actually wedged in between the wheel and the console creating an almost dangerous steering situation. I would have to steer palm over palm at 10 and 2 and could never steer through ESS turns. The C6 is a cakewalk compared to any C7 and the nicest Corvette I've owned.

Someone mentioned above, a Z3/Z4 situation. Went through the same exact situation as I owned a Z3, liked the Z4, but no. In my entire life, I've owned only one car that I actually cannot put the driver's seat all the way back and that's my Continental GT. I barely reach the pedals all the way back. The GT is with out a doubt, the best car I've owned in more than just interior comfort, but it is in a very different car universe.

gilbybarr 11-25-2018 10:56 AM

I echo your thoughts.....C7 too tight for me as well (6'4"). Love my 2008.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...732f9650b5.jpg

jluke 11-25-2018 11:16 AM

I owned four C6’s. I ordered a 2014 3lt in Night Race Blue with Kalahari interior. It was a beautiful combination but the seats bothered me so much I couldn’t drive 100 miles without pain. I sold the 2014 and bought my 5th C6, a 2013 3 lt Night Race Blue with Titanium interior. One owner, 8950 pampered miles. I’m glad I moved back, much more comfortable.

K-Spaz 11-25-2018 01:20 PM

This past summer I also was just looking for a C7, but I ended up in a C6. For me it wasn't about the interior or seats, I'm perfectly happy with those. If I have a complaint about the interior it's the digital dash. I will never like those, but I could get over it if I bought one. What I dislike most is the outside, and I don't really see it growing on me any time soon. If they had run some deals on the cars I probably would have bought one, but with no incentives, and a car I don't like the looks of, no way was I buying one. Picked up a 427 instead. Couldn't be happier.

ShagVette 11-25-2018 01:50 PM

Congrats!

Mayor111 11-25-2018 02:30 PM

First - let me say, your new C6 Vert is beautiful - best of luck with her...:thumbs:

I own a C6 and a C7. They are both beautiful cars for sure. When it comes to the interior comparison of a C6 to a C7 - there are two areas to discuss:

1) Space and Comfort
and
2) Fit and Finish

When it comes to space and comfort, the C6 definitely has more room and the seats are softer overall. If you like a cockpit, tight fitting type of ride (like a C4) then the C7 interior will be more to your liking. If you want to be more comfortable and need to stretch out a bit while driving, then the C6 will be more for you.

When it comes to fit and finish, there truly is no comparison. The C6 has a cheap, plastic-feeling, "Chevy" typical interior. The C7 (finally) brought the Corvette up to speed with a world class interior - using some of the best materials. It might not be as comfortable, but its not trying to be. The C7 is trying to compete with Ferrari and other world class exotic sports cars - which none of them could be considered "comfortable"...but again, that's not what you buy those cars for...and the C7 is no different.

windyC6 11-25-2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mayor111 (Post 1598392299)
First - let me say, your new C6 Vert is beautiful - best of luck with her...:thumbs:

I own a C6 and a C7. They are both beautiful cars for sure. When it comes to the interior comparison of a C6 to a C7 - there are two areas to discuss:

1) Space and Comfort
and
2) Fit and Finish

When it comes to space and comfort, the C6 definitely has more room and the seats are softer overall. If you like a cockpit, tight fitting type of ride (like a C4) then the C7 interior will be more to your liking. If you want to be more comfortable and need to stretch out a bit while driving, then the C6 will be more for you.

When it comes to fit and finish, there truly is no comparison. The C6 has a cheap, plastic-feeling, "Chevy" typical interior. The C7 (finally) brought the Corvette up to speed with a world class interior - using some of the best materials. It might not be as comfortable, but its not trying to be. The C7 is trying to compete with Ferrari and other world class exotic sports cars - which none of them could be considered "comfortable"...but again, that's not what you buy those cars for...and the C7 is no different.

You make good points. cept for the part about GM trying to compete with the like of Ferrari and folks. They can't compete with them.