CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Front tire came off (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4217562-front-tire-came-off.html)

mrBob2005 11-30-2018 04:28 AM

Front tire came off

I bought this 2005 Conv last wed and the dealership and didn't finish the 120 point check. I took it home they said they will do a oil change , new brake and detail next week. I took the Vette in yesterday and they did all that. I left the dealership an almost got on the freeway, but took the side streets home. Went 6 blocks the front end started shimmy real bad at 45mph I hit the brakes and BLAM. The left front tire came off the Vette flying down the street almost hitting a on coming car, vette slide across both lanes stopping in a driveway. I crawled out of the Vette on my hand and knees. I was stunned no one got hurt. A woman behind me saw the whole thing. I have her number, I called the dealership and they came and flatbed the Vette back to the dealership. I found just one lug nut in the street and my McGard tire lock was missing too. I bet someone gets fired over this. Either lug nuts were not tight or stripped. Wonder how much this will cost the dealership? Sorry this is so long, I didn't sleep good last night and my whole body is sore from being tense up. That's my tire in the middle of the pic in the grass. Inside of mag was scored with deep cuts. Rotor is just as bad. Do you thing the front end is messed up?? Thanks guys.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f2abdfdc2a.jpg

enventr 11-30-2018 04:40 AM

Wow sorry to hear that as long as you are ok. You can maybe try and get your money back as it not only requires body work but mechanical work. Hopefully the frame is ok. I would not want the car. You could have gotten killed or injured others as well. If they give you a hard time consult an attorney ! Good luck!

RadfordVette 11-30-2018 04:43 AM

Scary!

1bdvet 11-30-2018 07:32 AM

I can tell you, I worked at a dealership, and it's not the first time we had that occurred and repaired the car, the tech we made pay for his mistake.

While the car is in for repair, here is you owners manual to learn your car.

http://www.c6registry.com/Technical/manuals/2005OM.pdf

45gunner 11-30-2018 08:05 AM

Very scary....and frustrating. Not only is this an awful thing to happen and very luckily no one was hurt, but it is also an indication of negligence on the part of the dealership. You may want to talk to someone about having them replace this with a brand new car.

C6ToGo 11-30-2018 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 45gunner (Post 1598419008)
You may want to talk to someone about having them replace this with a brand new car.

I would hate to be the mechanic forced to pay for a 2019 C7

EVRose 11-30-2018 08:29 AM

That's horrible! Just thank God you wernt doing 70 on the freeway when it happened.

CaptainFalcon 11-30-2018 09:16 AM

Glad nobody was hurt! I hope the dealer steps up and you don't need to get an attorney involved!

FAUEE 11-30-2018 09:17 AM

Scary, but I think unless the dealership decides to own it, it would be hard to prove anything. It's a used car, and they're not really liable for it. They could easily claim the aftermarket lugs or something like that are to blame, and the lugs nut being found doesnt amount to evidence, they could have flown off anywhere.

Good luck, and remember that you want the dealer on your side for this.

Welker1 11-30-2018 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598419370)
Scary, but I think unless the dealership decides to own it, it would be hard to prove anything. It's a used car, and they're not really liable for it. They could easily claim the aftermarket lugs or something like that are to blame, and the lugs nut being found doesnt amount to evidence, they could have flown off anywhere.

According to the OP, they did brake work, in order to do so they had to remove and reinstall the wheels/lug nuts, so they are liable.

OP: WOW, glad now one was hurt.

wayback 11-30-2018 09:25 AM

He said they just did a brake job so pretty easy to put the blame on them. I do agree he needs them on his side if possible. Will make the repair much smoother.
Glad no one was hurt. Good luck.

saplumr 11-30-2018 09:26 AM

I don't agree with this at all. He drove straight from the dealership and wheel flies off. Pretty difficult to think they are not responsible.

pure zen 11-30-2018 10:06 AM

Quote by Mr Bob: " Do you thing the front end is messed up??"

I do,,,where are you located? Wouldn't want that dealer service dept. working on my car. That tire went for a long ride... You bought the car last week,,,I'd ask the dealer to
buy the car back at your purchase price, and go shopping for another Vette to buy. JMO

87SAM 11-30-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by pure zen (Post 1598419640)
Quote by Mr Bob: " Do you thing the front end is messed up??"

I do,,,where are you located? Wouldn't want that dealer service dept. working on my car. That tire went for a long ride... You bought the car last week,,,I'd ask the dealer to
buy the car back at your purchase price, and go shopping for another Vette to buy. JMO

:iagree: the car will now have car fax blemish

dmaxx3500 11-30-2018 10:34 AM

get a lawyer and make em take the car back

FAUEE 11-30-2018 10:47 AM

If it's not their lugs, they're not totally liable. They're not liable if they put the lugs on right, but the lugs failed through no fault of their own. It would be tough to prove liability.

jrose7004 11-30-2018 11:03 AM

Not a good way to be introduced to your new car!

saplumr 11-30-2018 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598419913)
If it's not their lugs, they're not totally liable. They're not liable if they put the lugs on right, but the lugs failed through no fault of their own. It would be tough to prove liability.

He bought the car from a dealership. Took the car in for work which should have been done first. Wheel falls off after they had removed wheels. Under what scenario would the dealer not be responsible?

FAUEE 11-30-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1598420065)
He bought the car from a dealership. Took the car in for work which should have been done first. Wheel falls off after they had removed wheels. Under what scenario would the dealer not be responsible?

Its a used car. It was likely sold as is. They have a moral obligation, but legally, they likely have no liability.

stingray71 11-30-2018 11:30 AM

That is scary and fortunate that no one got hurt. Keep us updated on the response from the dealer.