CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Front tire came off (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4217562-front-tire-came-off.html)

Vet Interested 11-30-2018 11:49 AM

Wish the OP the best getting this resolved. Also, don't be one of those guys that comes in here, asks a question and then NEVER replies again. Let us know what happens.

torquetube 11-30-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598420172)
Its a used car. It was likely sold as is. They have a moral obligation, but legally, they likely have no liability.

IANAL, but "as-is" has nothing to do with negligence. It appears the car was sent out the door with missing lug nuts or the mechanic failed to notice a gross deficiency with the wheel mounting during the course of his repair. Either is a negligent act.

The OP is owed a complete repair, and not necessarily by the guys who broke it. If I were him, my objective would be to persuade the dealer just to refund the car. Not a bunch of money or a new ZR1 or any nonsense like that. They can fix it at their cost and resell it and avoid a legal fight.

919cw313 11-30-2018 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 45gunner (Post 1598419008)
...You may want to talk to someone about having them replace this with a brand new car.

Why would they ever do that? Ridiculous.

If he's over the car already, it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to have them take the car back and refund 100% of his money.

FAUEE 11-30-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by torquetube (Post 1598420567)
IANAL, but "as-is" has nothing to do with negligence. It appears the car was sent out the door with missing lug nuts or the mechanic failed to notice a gross deficiency with the wheel mounting during the course of his repair. Either is a negligent act.

The OP is owed a complete repair, and not necessarily by the guys who broke it. If I were him, my objective would be to persuade the dealer just to refund the car. Not a bunch of money or a new ZR1 or any nonsense like that. They can fix it at their cost and resell it and avoid a legal fight.

Or, the mcgard lug failed, the other wheel lugs broke from the force, and the wheel flew off. Nothing negligent about that for the dealership.

Like I said, hard to prove anything, and it's better off to approach it in a friendly way.

Shaolin Crane 11-30-2018 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598420721)
Or, the mcgard lug failed, the other wheel lugs broke from the force, and the wheel flew off. Nothing negligent about that for the dealership.

Like I said, hard to prove anything, and it's better off to approach it in a friendly way.

It's clear the studs aren't broken or stripped, they weren't tightened down.

CJ Willys 11-30-2018 01:07 PM

And my wife always questions why I do all maintenance myself. SMH Dealerships are the Worst.

torquetube 11-30-2018 01:30 PM

A stripped lug isn't going to cause a cascade failure like that. You could idle around town all day on two torqued lug nuts. A quick inspection of the studs and nuts could rule that out right away.

TxLefty 11-30-2018 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598420172)
Its a used car. It was likely sold as is. They have a moral obligation, but legally, they likely have no liability.

An unsafe car was released from their shop after work was performed on the part(s) that failed. Had they installed window tint and the tire fell off, they could logically escape responsibility. In this case, there is little or no question that they are liable. The chances of most, or all, of the lugs failing at one time is extremely low. In the absence of clear proof to the contrary, if I'm on the jury the dealership will be required to make him whole.

HOXXOH 11-30-2018 03:00 PM

An upgrade to a newer Vette they have on the lot, or can quickly acquire, might be a better solution for both sides. The dealer can do repairs at their convenience and the owner gets to drive away immediately in something that traditionally hasn't had the same amount of problems that the '05 models are having. A nice '08 might be worth looking at for a quick exchange. :D

919cw313 11-30-2018 03:14 PM

Nobody got hurt, and the car isn't wrecked.

The dealership has the responsibility to repair it for free, and I'm guessing they will. The better thing to do, but they don't have to, is offer to buy it back. Anything more than that is dreaming.

919cw313 11-30-2018 03:17 PM

It may show up in Carfax as a repair, but I highly doubt it would show as an accident or anything else too derogatory since it's not getting claimed on his insurance and there was no mention of a police report.

mrBob2005 11-30-2018 04:11 PM

Tire came off

The dealer is fixing the car with new fender and new rotors and front wheel. I only put one lock nut on each wheel. The others 3 wheels are fine, someone took a break forget to tighten the nuts I believe. I am driving a new Cadillac CTS as a loner. ha Dealer admits fault an their insurance is taking the hit. I will keep everyone up to date when things get finished. I want to see the Vette on a lift before I accept the work and have the service manger drive it with me in the car. Then I will drive it while he is in it too. So far they are being nice, we will see.

87SAM 11-30-2018 04:17 PM

This made me remember, many years ago I had new tires installed on my pickup. About 8 blocks away I saw a wheel rolling in front of me, it was not until I let the the gas that I learned that it was mine!

saplumr 11-30-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrBob2005 (Post 1598421905)
The dealer is fixing the car with new fender and new rotors and front wheel. I only put one lock nut on each wheel. The others 3 wheels are fine, someone took a break forget to tighten the nuts I believe. I am driving a new Cadillac CTS as a loner. ha Dealer admits fault an their insurance is taking the hit. I will keep everyone up to date when things get finished. I want to see the Vette on a lift before I accept the work and have the service manger drive it with me in the car. Then I will drive it while he is in it too. So far they are being nice, we will see.

I have little to no doubt the dealers insurance will not be involved with something this small.

BackInBlack05 12-01-2018 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by pure zen (Post 1598419640)
Quote by Mr Bob: " Do you thing the front end is messed up??"

I do,,,where are you located? Wouldn't want that dealer service dept. working on my car. That tire went for a long ride... You bought the car last week,,,I'd ask the dealer to
buy the car back at your purchase price, and go shopping for another Vette to buy.
JMO

^^^^this

Shaolin Crane 12-01-2018 02:26 PM

They couldn't do your fuckin brakes and now they're going to fix it? Nope, hard nope.

Cherokee Nation 12-02-2018 12:29 AM

What!! Nascar was only using 4 lug nuts for awhile at over 200mph and the engineers said 3 lug nuts would hold the wheel on with the correct torque.He should the fu$% out of that dealer he could of killed himself or others.

449er 12-02-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500;1598419853[color=#e74c3c
]get a lawyer [/color]and make em take the car back

It took just 13 posts for the "get a lawyer" mentality to come up....How about 1st seeing if the dealership will step up & repair the car first? Give them a chance to do the right thing

jrs 427 12-02-2018 09:34 AM

Took my daughters car in for a front end alignment after tire install. Private shop forgot to tighten adjusting nuts. Fortunately a month later I noticed the tire angle when the car came home. Shop refused to admit any wrong doing. Not worth creating a huge fuss. Another two hundred for a tire and alignment . No one was injured. There are shop owners that are just profit minded and quality care less individuals. Its a huge karma wheel.

irok 12-02-2018 09:43 AM

the so called aftermarket Mcguard lock nut kits are what GM installs on the C6 and have GM part number-12498078.they will not cause your wheels to fall off unless the village idiot forgets to torque them.they are a dealer installed option that have been on my car since new.never an issue with them.if there was an issue with them GM would not be installing them on C6's.my new Ram pick up and previous Ram also came with them when new