CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   WSJ C7 ZR1 Review With Commentary on the C8 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4218318-wsj-c7-zr1-review-with-commentary-on-the-c8.html)

Mikegerm_C5 12-02-2018 11:48 AM

WSJ C7 ZR1 Review With Commentary on the C8

https://www.wsj.com/articles/2019-co...ind-1543428205

Dan Neil reviews the C7 ZR1 but my reason for posting this are his comments on the C8. As "baroque period" as C7 ZR1 may be, I think he enjoyed it (what's not to like?!). On the C8, the review covers territory that has been covered on this forum at length. That would be the end of the manual transmission, the end of the FE vette (quote: " Our ZR1 lands as a joyously egregious finale to the era of front-engine Corvettes"), the marketing reasons for ME with the need to compete with the great mid engine sports cars of the world and demographics of millennials who identify with those great cars, and the reduced functionality of a grand tourer. He also mentioned the loss of the long hood that has been part of the Corvette style since the C3.
The piece seems to confirm a number of things but who is to say Mr. Neil knows more than anyone else.
Weigh in please!
If the link doesn't work due to the WSJ pay wall, I'll post the text.

NORTY 12-02-2018 12:07 PM

I got the first paragraph, talking about the gutless 1982 model. That's it.

Steven Beaver 12-02-2018 01:36 PM

Do you work for the Wall Street junk?

millpond 12-02-2018 01:38 PM

Well written article.

Foosh 12-02-2018 01:43 PM

I suspect he had a pretty good inside source. WSJ's reputation is such that GM wants to maintain a good relationship with them.

At any rate, it's another decent bit of evidence, that the FE is going away, which had been leaked by GM insiders previously. It's funny how many folks here can't let that myth die.

Mikegerm_C5 12-02-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Beaver (Post 1598431600)

No, but I will not get into the merits of Wall Street here.

Mikegerm_C5 12-02-2018 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by NORTY (Post 1598431188)
I got the first paragraph, talking about the gutless 1982 model. That's it.

I will quote relevant part of the article here for those who can't see it:

<quote from WSJ article>

“And yet for collectors, this [the C7 ZR1] might be the One, the Ultimate, the Maximum. The next Corvette design (C8), due in spring, will be radically different automotive proposition. It will be a mid-engine vehicle, like a Ferrari or Lamborghini, not a front-engine car like, um, a Corvette.

There are good reasons for the change, some dynamical, some demographic. The remarkable thing about the legacy Corvette is how well it kept up with highly specific mid-engine sports cars. But for Corvette to remain among the super-sports car elite, to be considered by millennials in their prime spending years, the design had to go mid-engine. Our ZR1 lands as a joyously egregious finale to the era of front-engine Corvettes.

Behind the big pushrod V8 is a superb seven-speed manual gearbox, with a heavy clutch and a slick, notchless gate (an eight-speed automatic, pictured here, is also available). The C7 generation will be the last Corvette fitted with a standard, or manual transmission. The C8 generation will reportedly use a dual-clutch semi automated rear transaxle.

Behind the big pushrod V8 is a superb seven-speed manual gearbox, with a heavy clutch and a slick, notchless gate (an eight-speed automatic, pictured here, is also available). The C7 generation will be the last Corvette fitted with a standard, or manual transmission. The C8 generation will reportedly use a dual-clutch semi automated rear transaxle. PHOTO: CHEVROLET

What will be lost? First, these will be the last Corvettes with a manual transmission—a trick seven-speeder with a rev-matching function for downshifting. The C8 will use a dual-clutch paddle-shift transmission, which will be quicker around the Nürburgring than any manually stirred alternative. But purists and collectors will covet the charismatic anachronism of the three-pedal manual. Burnouts are easier too.

Second, the ’Vette will lose its versatility as a multiday grand touring sports car, owing to its hatchback design. There aren’t many, or any, super-sports that can carry two suitcases and two sets of golf clubs.

Lastly, and saddest of all, the Corvette will lose its hood of goodly length, the conspicuous priapism that has defined the mission for 65 years. The next Corvette might be faster, quicker, safer, better, but it will never swing the same attitude.”

<end quote>

Mikegerm_C5 12-02-2018 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1598431632)
I suspect he had a pretty good inside source. WSJ's reputation is such that GM wants to maintain a good relationship with them.

At any rate, it's another decent bit of evidence, that the FE is going away, which had been leaked by GM insiders previously. It's funny how many folks here can't let that myth die.

:iagree:

rmorin1249 12-02-2018 09:00 PM

Yes, the loss of a front mounted engine AND a manual transmission is going to be hard for some folks to digest but it is happening.

Tom73 12-02-2018 09:29 PM

Lastly, and saddest of all, the Corvette will lose its hood of goodly length, the conspicuous priapism that has defined the mission for 65 years. The next Corvette might be faster, quicker, safer, better, but it will never swing the same attitude.”
:iagree: :thumbs: So true!

sunsalem 12-03-2018 06:24 PM

Like the song says, "All good things gotta come to an end."
Nothing lasts forever.

kdm123 12-04-2018 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Steven Beaver (Post 1598431600)

A little off topic, but what's wrong with the WSJ? Haven't read it in years since it's behind a pay wall.

Foosh 12-04-2018 09:48 AM

Nothing's wrong with WSJ, which retains high reporting standards. That was just another example of press bashing which is very trendy these days.

Mehfoud 12-04-2018 10:45 AM

If the front engine goes away, are they really going to sell a ton of these $170k cars to support a plant? I just don't see it

Puttnutt24 12-04-2018 12:24 PM

I'm appreciating my '17 Z06/Z07 with a seven speed manual more and more all the time.
I am one that welcomed the idea of a new mid-engine Corvette but now realizing that the car we've known for decades is truly coming to an end.
I'm really beginning to think Chevrolet might just be making a mistake.
Let Cadillac release the mid-engine car and lets see Chevy come out with a new front engine C8, we can wish right.....

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...820421fe5.jpeg

sunsalem 12-04-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kdm123 (Post 1598440684)
A little off topic, but what's wrong with the WSJ?

Nothing at all, it's a fine newspaper with high journalistic standards.

OVR60 12-04-2018 02:59 PM

If the WSJ would have said that the ZR1 was the best car ever built and engineered everyone would have praised the article but since he made some truthful comments that did not resonate with the Corvette community his thoughts were not well received. He has driven just about every car in the world and has the ability to judge cars for what hey are. I didn't think that many Corvette owners read the WJS like I do.

rmorin1249 12-04-2018 03:36 PM

Exactly. No car is perfect. They all have strengths and weaknesses, even a Yugo. They were cheap and that was their only strength.:rofl:

sunsalem 12-04-2018 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by OVR60 (Post 1598443554)
I didn't think that many Corvette owners read the WJS like I do.

They don't.

JockItch 12-04-2018 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mehfoud (Post 1598442003)
If the front engine goes away, are they really going to sell a ton of these $170k cars to support a plant? I just don't see it

:withstupid:

While I definitely buy that this car in upper trim and models will reach that price point, I refuse to believe that GM is going to completely abandon its bread and butter market by making the corvette out of reach for most. I don’t believe there will be a FE C8, but I also don’t believe they expanded the plant to produce a low volume, $170k car.

Makes no sense. The price may increase, but there will be a base model that is more accessible for the masses.