CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   73 underseat seat belts/floor (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4218551-73-underseat-seat-belts-floor.html)

Billenglish 12-03-2018 06:52 AM

73 underseat seat belts/floor

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, continued work on the interior of the car. Got seats out, removed the under seat seat belt cover. Wow. Totally rotted out. By the time I got the completely rusted bolt/nut out, had no steel left. Now just a hole in the fiberglass about 3/4 inch. Since all of the original underbody steel is gone, I will attempt a repair using a sandwich of sheet steel above/below the fiberglass floor. If anyone has done this, please let me know how it was done e.g. fiberglass it in, etc.? Also after searching the forum for seat belts/retractors, I see it is a very common problem, way more wtbs than fs, and so I guess I'll bit the bullet and buy new belts. Any help appreciated! Bill

gr8t73 12-03-2018 11:03 AM

Why not just replace the under body reinforcement. It's a pretty simple process and the part is available from many of the vendors including Willcox. I installed using original rivets but they can also be bolted in place.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-outer-lh-8543

Billenglish 12-03-2018 05:35 PM

Thanks mucho, gr8t73. Like I said, mine was so trashed. I didn't even see that was something there to replace. Its more moolah, but I'll do it so it's right. Thx

Billenglish 12-09-2018 05:49 AM

So, after looking things up, yeah, really more money. Also see that several have given up on that route, and bought the 3 point conversion kit. That looks good, but will I get dinged on points for that? I've decided since this is an original car, mostly, going for an NCRS point car is feasible. I have a friend that does a lot of car shows, although not a Corvette fan, says that safety item non stock are allowable in other judging worlds. Any thoughts? PS also this means that I'm going to repaint in white (really wanted RED).

DUB 12-09-2018 10:44 AM

Please excuse me but I am going to be direct in my response.

Why would you not install the correct parts to keep the car as safe as it was originally designed???? Regardless of cost.

How fast do you think you would go through the money it would cost to replace these two plates in comparison to you being injured in and accident due to your un tested modification failed and you got sent to the hospital???

Then lets say an occupant in the other seat that is unaware of what you did and their attorney found out that you modified this area. Because if safety restraints fail, it will be investigated. And when the attorney finds out they have been modified. Guess WHO they are now coming after for negligence. ESPECIALLY when they find out you could have bought the correct replacement part to repair it as it was designed. And what IF the insurance company finds out??? Think about it

Or worse yet...one of your immediate family members uses it to go get something and they get hurt....still not knowing it was not right. Is the money savings worth that.

The reason I am 'saying' this is because I do collision work on Corvettes for a living and also restore them and I KNOW....due to being pulled into court as an expert witness or provide information to an attorney to prove HOW the car was built and designed so they have something to compare to.... to see it was NOT repaired correctly.

Do as you wish. But funny how you will spend money on painting it with no worries but this area you want to fudge it.....it makes NO SENSE.

DUB

Billenglish 12-09-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by DUB (Post 1598469632)
Please excuse me but I am going to be direct in my response.

Why would you not install the correct parts to keep the car as safe as it was originally designed???? Regardless of cost.

How fast do you think you would go through the money it would cost to replace these two plates in comparison to you being injured in and accident due to your un tested modification failed and you got sent to the hospital???

Then lets say an occupant in the other seat that is unaware of what you did and their attorney found out that you modified this area. Because if safety restraints fail, it will be investigated. And when the attorney finds out they have been modified. Guess WHO they are now coming after for negligence. ESPECIALLY when they find out you could have bought the correct replacement part to repair it as it was designed. And what IF the insurance company finds out??? Think about it

Or worse yet...one of your immediate family members uses it to go get something and they get hurt....still not knowing it was not right. Is the money savings worth that.

The reason I am 'saying' this is because I do collision work on Corvettes for a living and also restore them and I KNOW....due to being pulled into court as an expert witness or provide information to an attorney to prove HOW the car was built and designed so they have something to compare to.... to see it was NOT repaired correctly.

Do as you wish. But funny how you will spend money on painting it with no worries but this area you want to fudge it.....it makes NO SENSE.

DUB

So I guess by this, you don't think that the 3 point conversion seat belt is safe? I thought this system was better, since all cars manufactured now have them. 🤔

DUB 12-09-2018 05:54 PM

If you are saying you plan on putting a shoulder harness system in your car ...great...I AM all for it. Especially if you use the same locations for the seat belt re-tractors and also ANY metal reinforcements on teh underside of the fiberglass panel to give that mounting area pull strength.

The reinforcement plate that was provided to you in POST #2 is for your under the seat retractor are available as you know and I would put them back in.

You are aware that IF you go with a 3 point seat belt. It has a lot to do with which design you get.

One of them will require you to modify your seat headrest trim so the seat belt can passes throguh it. And actually there is a seat belt guide plate on the inside of your seat for this and aslo a bezel for this guide. The guide is pictured below. WIllcox carries them both.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a62e7e662f.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...85c45198f1.jpg

If you go with the correct style of seat belt retractor for the shoulder. You will need this plate to be installed on the underside of the body IF it is not already installed there.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7c65927a5d.png

I do not know if you have a coupe or convertible. Which can also make a difference if it is a coupe and you want to switch seat belt designs due to the later design ....you will need to buy new quarter panel inner trim due to they are different. And I do not think you have a mount area for the seat belt in that area also...so modification there would be needed.

DUB

OldCarBum 12-10-2018 12:36 AM

Is your 73 a Coupe?
My 73 Coupe has the factory OEM lap and shoulder three point belts.
I think the shoulder belts were standard equipment in 73 Coupes, but I could be wrong.

bazza77 12-10-2018 03:38 AM

I updated my 69 coupe with a later model 3 point belt attachment. That piece is part of a kit I bought that is an Australian Standard ,providing it is mounted as per instructions.

Best thing you can do is put back the original type mounting points .

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...959a7895ea.jpg

Easy Mike 12-10-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Billenglish (Post 1598468715)
...will I get dinged on points for that?...

For NCRS judging, a deviation from stock will cost you points. Do you have the 73 NCRS Judging Guide?
:thumbs:

DUB 12-10-2018 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by OldCarBum (Post 1598473811)
Is your 73 a Coupe?
My 73 Coupe has the factory OEM lap and shoulder three point belts.
I think the shoulder belts were standard equipment in 73 Coupes, but I could be wrong.

YES...shoulder belts were standard on a coupe but it cost more for convertible. (RPO A85)

And the rear retractor should be mounted on top of the rear wheel house area and NOT need the inside of the 'B' pillar plate like a previous post shows...which requires you to buy new quarter panel inner terms with the needed recess....or at least you would to keep it correct to that design like GM did.....which is not original to the car.

If I am not mistake the correct shoulder belt needs to go through the back of the seat.

DUB

OldCarBum 12-10-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by DUB (Post 1598474523)
YES...shoulder belts were standard on a coupe but it cost more for convertible. (RPO A85)

And the rear retractor should be mounted on top of the rear wheel house area and NOT need the inside of the 'B' pillar plate like a previous post shows...which requires you to buy new quarter panel inner terms with the needed recess....or at least you would to keep it correct to that design like GM did.....which is not original to the car.

If I am not mistake the correct shoulder belt needs to go through the back of the seat.

DUB

My retractors are mounted as you state and the belt goes up and through the back of the seat.
Were the mounting plates installed to the convertibles at the factory so if someone wanted to add the shoulder belt, the mounting plate was already installed at the correct location?

vettz73 12-10-2018 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldCarBum (Post 1598475488)
Were the mounting plates installed to the convertibles at the factory so if someone wanted to add the shoulder belt, the mounting plate was already installed at the correct location?

The mounting plate was already installed on my 73 convertible but the car did not come with the shoulder belt installed. I was able to use the mounting plate to install an after-market shoulder belt.

DUB 12-10-2018 04:48 PM

I do believe that GM did mount the plate and if the car had that option added...it was snap for them to install....so it should be there.

DUB

Billenglish 12-13-2018 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1598474305)
For NCRS judging, a deviation from stock will cost you points. Do you have the 73 NCRS Judging Guide?
:thumbs:

No I need that

DUB 12-13-2018 09:07 AM

AS I am sure you now know it would be wise to get a judging manual and go through it due to so much specific stuff is in there and what they want to see.

DUB

Billenglish 12-13-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by DUB (Post 1598492529)
AS I am sure you now know it would be wise to get a judging manual and go through it due to so much specific stuff is in there and what they want to see.

DUB

Yes I agree completely. Just, as I am thinking, since this is a matching numbers car, almost completely unmodified, I really can't let this opportunity go by, at least without checking all of these things out. I seriously doubt that I can make it a 100 point car, although it's worth a good college try. The only modification I have found so far is it has a Hurst shifter, need to get that replaced with stock. Wish me well, y'all.

Bill

OldCarBum 12-13-2018 11:35 AM

As many know on the forum, I plan to build my 73 into more of a hot rod than a NCRS judged car.
Will an NCRS Judging manual be helpful for reference during the disassembly and reassembly of my 73 even though it won't be all OEM?