CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Corvette Manta Ray: GM's bold new plan (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4219054-corvette-manta-ray-gms-bold-new-plan.html)

unlimitedPower 12-04-2018 04:00 PM

Corvette Manta Ray: GM's bold new plan

I’m close enough to the inside to know the following about GM’s plans for the Corvette. I cannot reveal all I know without jeopardizing my business’s success, so please do not ask me to explain further, I will not answer. If you don’t believe me then that’s fine, I wouldn’t either if I was in your shoes, but I’m compelled to post now so there is less disappointment later when the Eagle has Landed.

The C8 Corvettes at Nürburgring are the real thing - the 2020 Corvette Manta Ray. This base Corvette will be powered by an updated LT1 V8 with about 520hp and 485 lb-ft torque. A DCT transaxle is used in all C8 Corvettes, no exceptions. The R&D investment in the DCT is said to be equivalent to that of both the manual and automatic in the C7 - they knew they had one chance to get the DCT right. The interior will be somewhat higher quality than the C7, and GM’s stylists have attempted a more “upscale” design. I have not seen it but those who have say it’s impressive, but still not at Porsche or Ferrari levels, which seems fair given the price.

In 2021 GM will revolutionize the Corvette lineup. In addition to the base Corvette two different high-end models will be introduced: Corvette Grand Tour and Corvette Grand Sport. The GT is as luxurious as if Cadillac designed it, because a Cadillac team is in fact responsible for the GT. It’s a true GT and in addition to standard MRC it will deploy a full gamut of NVH countermeasures like acoustic glass, heavy sound deadening, and special wheels/tires, all for a cross country tourer that with a twist of the mode dial will handle any road or even a race track. The GT will be propelled by a version of Cadillac’s 4.2L twin turbo V8 with the turbos moved to the sides, and this engine is said to be the quietest V8 GM has ever developed. Word is that GM benchmarked the Corvette GT’s NVH against German luxury tourers from Mercedes Benz and BMW. Not sports cars, tourers.

The Grand Sport moniker will be used for the insane sports version and it will feature additional escalating packages with more and more track orientation. GM found that buyers liked the name “Grand Sport” better than their alphanumeric gibberish “ZO6” so they ran with it. MRC is standard and in later years there will be a track package with DSSV and a higher output engine. What engine, you say? Hold on to your butts because the GS will be powered by a beastly 5.5L twin turbo V8 that is said to be frighteningly powerful and in private track sessions has dominated both “the Germans and Italians.” That’s just the first year GS, not the track-oriented version. My description isn’t hyperbole - those who have driven the GS tell me that it is literally frightening to floor it. GM even had a team of lawyers in to advise on the legal perils of selling such a potent vehicle for street use.

How the Corvette is sold will change as radically as the engine mounting position. Any GM dealer will be able to sell the Corvette brand, but on the flip side, it will be far more difficult for dealers to qualify to sell Corvettes. You won’t have to worry about Joey the Chevy Cruze expert wrenching on your Corvette since dealers will require a minimum count of certified Corvette techs and only those techs will be permitted to work on Corvettes. Since “Corvette” will be a brand unto itself it implies more than just the GT and GS sub-models, doesn’t it? Make of this what you will.

Interestingly, a mid engine Corvette makes space for the 7th gen Camaro to slip into the C7’s current segment in 2021, at current Camaro prices. The 2021 Camaro will be as revolutionary as the C8 but that’s for another forum at another time.

So there you have it, GM’s bold and brash sports car strategy. These will be the last of GM’s gasoline powered sports cars, a bright nuclear flash before the onset of an EV future. I’m familiar with one of the upcoming EV sports cars as well. Suffice to say, performance gearheads have absolutely nothing to worry about because every one of the sports cars (and sports CUVs) in development at GM are poised to vastly exceed expectations.

REPOED C7 12-04-2018 04:10 PM

I believe you.

Mayor111 12-04-2018 04:14 PM

:iagree: Lets be honest - there have been ALOT less credible posts created about the C8 that gained alot of attention...so this guy is making some sense. Certainly appreciate this insight you provided - Thank you!

Foosh 12-04-2018 04:15 PM

Thanks for your post. It sounds credible and consistent with what I heard from folks who have also seen the base car.

elegant 12-04-2018 04:16 PM

Thank you. Interesting information with some very believable theses. I am going to need to digest all that this will mean over a little thinking time, and with the help of others who similarly evaluate it.

Not evaluating your veracity, but what it would mean for Corvette’s future.

C7Me 12-04-2018 04:17 PM

Any idea of price for the Manta Ray?

Quinten33 12-04-2018 04:19 PM

Aside from ZERV, this is the most convincing story yet. I'll roll with it.

MagRedConv 12-04-2018 04:20 PM

Helluva first post.

UsernameProtected 12-04-2018 04:21 PM

I wonder how many of those extra ~60 horsepower could be retrofitted into our existing LT-1's...so I can keep my MT?

C82LT 12-04-2018 04:25 PM

I like the idea of the Grand Tour. Sounds more like what a 911s is now. Who knows if it's real.

moldyviolinist 12-04-2018 04:31 PM

Pretty credible, though I'm still holding out hope for a manual transmission. Will not be buying an automatic.

Originally Posted by unlimitedPower (Post 1598443909)
My description isn’t hyperbole - those who have driven the GS tell me that it is literally frightening to floor it. GM even had a team of lawyers in to advise on the legal perils of selling such a potent vehicle for street use.

This is concerning. Other RWD hypercars aren't like this. Mclaren, Koenigsegg, etc. Where's that guy who was going on about the bad rear suspension geometry? Think he may have been on to something...

RJ-92 12-04-2018 04:32 PM

This base Corvette will be powered by an updated LT1 V8 with about 520hp and 485 lb-ft torque.

I don't see how that's possible @ 6.2L given current emissions standards. In order to create those #'s it would need quite a bit larger camshaft than what's currently int he LT1. It would also need to rev a bit higher as peak HP would need to be +6500RPM, likely necessitating port fuel-injection in compliment to the current DI only.

OnPoint 12-04-2018 04:33 PM

Has to be BS as PCMIII said no small block in the ME.:lol:

OP - thanks for the thread.

pietro c7 12-04-2018 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1598444102)
Has to be BS as PCMIII said no small block in the ME.:lol:

OP - thanks for the thread.

Agreed...Anything that is the total opposite of what he (and the “169 000$ Confirmed “man) state,
is possible.

OnPoint 12-04-2018 04:51 PM

Cool critter, at least.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...000c737338.jpg

TRT SR 12-04-2018 04:52 PM

Good information , lets hope its close to the truth. who knows, GM may be working on flux capacitor power for the wild vette! No mention of Zora though, feeling sad about that.....

Jerradl1987 12-04-2018 04:56 PM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...manta-ray.html

I will just leave this here. ahem*...HATERS GONNA HATE I was right all along.

Zerv02 12-04-2018 04:58 PM

The Man has spoken truth, the GT is still 169 though, no exceptions

Jerradl1987 12-04-2018 04:58 PM

I’m close enough to the inside to know the following about GM’s plans for the Corvette. I cannot reveal all I know without jeopardizing my business’s success, so please do not ask me to explain further, I will not answer. If you don’t believe me then that’s fine, I wouldn’t either if I was in your shoes, but I’m compelled to post now so there is less disappointment later when the Eagle has Landed.

The C8 Corvettes at Nürburgring are the real thing - the 2020 Corvette Manta Ray. This base Corvette will be powered by an updated LT1 V8 with about 520hp and 485 lb-ft torque. A DCT transaxle is used in all C8 Corvettes, no exceptions. The R&D investment in the DCT is said to be equivalent to that of both the manual and automatic in the C7 - they knew they had one chance to get the DCT right. The interior will be somewhat higher quality than the C7, and GM’s stylists have attempted a more “upscale” design. I have not seen it but those who have say it’s impressive, but still not at Porsche or Ferrari levels, which seems fair given the price.

In 2021 GM will revolutionize the Corvette lineup. In addition to the base Corvette two different high-end models will be introduced: Corvette Grand Tour and Corvette Grand Sport. The GT is as luxurious as if Cadillac designed it, because a Cadillac team is in fact responsible for the GT. It’s a true GT and in addition to standard MRC it will deploy a full gamut of NVH countermeasures like acoustic glass, heavy sound deadening, and special wheels/tires, all for a cross country tourer that with a twist of the mode dial will handle any road or even a race track. The GT will be propelled by a version of Cadillac’s 4.2L twin turbo V8 with the turbos moved to the sides, and this engine is said to be the quietest V8 GM has ever developed. Word is that GM benchmarked the Corvette GT’s NVH against German luxury tourers from Mercedes Benz and BMW. Not sports cars, tourers.

The Grand Sport moniker will be used for the insane sports version and it will feature additional escalating packages with more and more track orientation. GM found that buyers liked the name “Grand Sport” better than their alphanumeric gibberish “ZO6” so they ran with it. MRC is standard and in later years there will be a track package with DSSV and a higher output engine. What engine, you say? Hold on to your butts because the GS will be powered by a beastly 5.5L twin turbo V8 that is said to be frighteningly powerful and in private track sessions has dominated both “the Germans and Italians.” That’s just the first year GS, not the track-oriented version. My description isn’t hyperbole - those who have driven the GS tell me that it is literally frightening to floor it. GM even had a team of lawyers in to advise on the legal perils of selling such a potent vehicle for street use.

How the Corvette is sold will change as radically as the engine mounting position. Any GM dealer will be able to sell the Corvette brand, but on the flip side, it will be far more difficult for dealers to qualify to sell Corvettes. You won’t have to worry about Joey the Chevy Cruze expert wrenching on your Corvette since dealers will require a minimum count of certified Corvette techs and only those techs will be permitted to work on Corvettes. Since “Corvette” will be a brand unto itself it implies more than just the GT and GS sub-models, doesn’t it? Make of this what you will.

Interestingly, a mid engine Corvette makes space for the 7th gen Camaro to slip into the C7’s current segment in 2021, at current Camaro prices. The 2021 Camaro will be as revolutionary as the C8 but that’s for another forum at another time.

So there you have it, GM’s bold and brash sports car strategy. These will be the last of GM’s gasoline powered sports cars, a bright nuclear flash before the onset of an EV future. I’m familiar with one of the upcoming EV sports cars as well. Suffice to say, performance gearheads have absolutely nothing to worry about because every one of the sports cars (and sports CUVs) in development at GM are poised to vastly exceed expectations.

Thank you for being a normal Forum user on this site, and taking the time to actually explain something that means sense. instead of the retarded crap thats on here every single damn day.

millpond 12-04-2018 05:02 PM

Well written and very believable. Bring it on!