CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Z06 seat problem - Dealer or GM ordered the wrong seats (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4219578-z06-seat-problem-dealer-or-gm-ordered-the-wrong-seats.html)

manfrand 12-06-2018 11:24 AM

Z06 seat problem - Dealer or GM ordered the wrong seats

Here's my issue:

I ordered a 2019 Z06 2LZ, Long Beach Red with Jet Black interior in August. I took delivery in late October. When I got home I noticed that the GT seats did not have "Z06" embossed on the headrests as the car should have with a 2LZ interior. I promptly called my salesman and took the car back to the dealership the next day. We went over how the car was ordered and concluded that the car should have come with the seat embossment since it was ordered with a 2LZ interior. They believed that it must have been a mistake at the factory at some point.

A few days later I received a call from the business manager who told me that GM was going to fix the seat issue and that they were just trying to work out how they were going to do it. Sometime later they told me that they were going to order new seat covers with the embossment and have them install on the existing seats. They told me it was not uncommon and that it should be an easy fix.

Fast forward to late November, I dropped the car off to have the covers installed. A week goes by and I get a call from my salesman who puts the general manager on the phone with me. He tells me that he has concerns over sending the car out to have the seat covers installed because every time they have done that the owners have not been happy with the way they have come out (the leather needs time to conform to the seat, creases in the leather, etc.). He asks how important it is to me to which I say extremely since if I go to sell the car someone might knock the price down since it has the wrong seats. He then proceeds to try to explain what happened. He says that when the car was ordered they selected Jet Black and then 2LZ. But for some reason the seat embossment was never checked or was unchecked and that he wasn't sure if the dealer had done that or GM. So the car was built correctly but the problem was when the car was ordered. He said that if the problem was on GM he was going to try to get 2 entirely new seats, but he also said there was only a very slim chance of that. He then said that if the dealer messed up that new seats were too expensive and it was unlikely that they would replace an entire seat.

Here's my dilemma. My gut feeling is that the dealer messed up. All I want is what I ordered and what I paid for. It's sounding like if it was the dealer's mistake, they won't make it right. Even if they offer money back, at the end of the day I'll still have the wrong seats. I was ok with having the seat covers installed but after what the general manager, I'm very apprehensive. I know that if they refuse to make this right I could take them to small claims but I am curious if there are any other options available (BBB, Attorney General). Has anyone else had this problem/issue? I appreciate taking the time to read this and would love any feedback. This is in NY for what it's worth.

fleming23 12-06-2018 11:44 AM

My personal opinion, either take it to an upholstery shop and have them embroider whatever you want into the headrest, or just forget about it and let it go. This is really pretty small in the grand scheme of things, and I get being frustrated as you ordered the car how you wanted it, but it was not like the interior came in a different color, or if they ordered the wrong seat entirely (comp vs gt). This is fixable, just depends how much time, effort, and money you want to invest. Personally, I would just make sure I was not charged for the difference, or get some free service/accessories from the dealer and not think twice about it.

The dealer has a valid point regarding installing new covers, but new GM Covers should fit exactly the same as the ones on your seat. You do take the chance of having more wrinkles, or poor reassembly by what sounds like a 3rd party shop. To think the dealer is going to spend thousands of dollars on complete replacement seats is never going to happen.

The point about losing value over the issue seems pretty far fetched. The car will never be "valuable" and most options don't have a great return anyway. If you find a buyer that is giving you crap over not having embroidered seats, move on (the dealer is probably feeling the same right about now...)

Mr. Gizmo 12-06-2018 12:15 PM

I think it looks better plain. Leave it alone. There will be more collateral damage potential putting new seat covers on or leaving it with a shop to sew a label on the seat. They might take it for a joy ride.

I would ask the dealer to provide you some monetary refund for what you paid for and didn’t get.

robert miller 12-06-2018 12:20 PM

ttt

The dealer to me just trying to get out of this if G M don't fit it for you. Let me say this I can show you pic's of my redo on my seat backs from GT to comp seats. I got my seat backs from truck monkey ok, it took me more time to get the sides lined up correct onto the form just below the two holes in the seat.

I had to pull & pull then pull back off but it only took 3 or 4 times again here I am only talking getting it about 4 r 5 inchs down onto the seat here. YOU WILL BE ABLEE TO TELL THEN IF IT IS GOING TO LINE UP ARE LEAVE R PUT WRANKLES in the leather at these points. My seats look 100% like from the factor maybe I spend 15 to 20 mins more to get it like that on each seat. I did do my seat myself.. Robert

Scoobydoobydoo 12-06-2018 12:22 PM

Just curious, but are you sure it's the 2LZ interior and not a 1LZ ? I would think the 2LZ seats would come automatically with the embossment.

manfrand 12-06-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo (Post 1598454221)
Just curious, but are you sure it's the 2LZ interior and not a 1LZ ? I would think the 2LZ seats would come automatically with the embossment.

Window sticker has 2LZ and a screen shot of the partial build sheet shows it as a 2LZ. It has heated and vented seats and the front curb cameras. I would have thought that the seat embossment would have been automatic with a 2LZ. If that's the case. then perhaps it is an error on GM

manfrand 12-06-2018 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1598454181)
I think it looks better plain. Leave it alone. There will be more collateral damage potential putting new seat covers on or leaving it with a shop to sew a label on the seat. They might take it for a joy ride.

I would ask the dealer to provide you some monetary refund for what you paid for and didn’t get.

Yeah, that's my dilemma. The dealer has the factory seat covers with the embossment. They showed them to me. They basically said that they would probably offer me the cost of the covers plus installation. Probably no more than 2K. It's just so frustrating to me that you spend 90K+ on a car and there's a mistake that nobody seems to want to fix.

manfrand 12-06-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by fleming23 (Post 1598454022)

The dealer has a valid point regarding installing new covers, but new GM Covers should fit exactly the same as the ones on your seat. You do take the chance of having more wrinkles, or poor reassembly by what sounds like a 3rd party shop. To think the dealer is going to spend thousands of dollars on complete replacement seats is never going to happen.

I appreciate the reply. I wish I knew truly how much it cost to replace the seats. If you're spending 90 thousand on a car and it costs a couple of thousand to fix a mistake that the dealer made, to me is not unreasonable. That being said they are offering the cheapest option which may or may not come out right.

BearZ06 12-06-2018 12:54 PM

If it's GM's mistake I'd hold out for new seats. I would not be happy either, you may need to escalate your case with GM above the dealer. Some here know how to do it, I'm not sure. Years ago someone at the plant would help resolve things like this but everything has changed with that and now they want every problem to go through a dealer which is not necessarily the best for the customer.

Bill Dearborn 12-06-2018 12:58 PM

Let me get this straight. After you complained GM sent two proper seat skins? Why is the General Manager getting involved? The seat skins can be replaced by anyone of his mechanics that is qualified to unbolt a seat and remove it from the car. There are plenty of forum members that have replaced the seat skins on their cars swapping from GT seats to Comp seats or Vice Versa. It isn't rocket science. An independent upholstery shop should be well qualified to do the job as well.

The chance of screwing up the seat skin replacement is nill. If untrained forum members have been doing this stuff over the last 3 or 4 years surely the dealership should be able to handle the job. If you want the embossed skin then have them put it on.

I have had several seat skins replaced on GM cars over the years and have never had an issue with the replacement.

Bill

manfrand 12-06-2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598454415)
Let me get this straight. After you complained GM sent two proper seat skins? Why is the General Manager getting involved? The seat skins can be replaced by anyone of his mechanics that is qualified to unbolt a seat and remove it from the car. There are plenty of forum members that have replaced the seat skins on their cars swapping from GT seats to Comp seats or Vice Versa. It isn't rocket science. An independent upholstery shop should be well qualified to do the job as well.

The chance of screwing up the seat skin replacement is nill. If untrained forum members have been doing this stuff over the last 3 or 4 years surely the dealership should be able to handle the job. If you want the embossed skin then have them put it on.

I have had several seat skins replaced on GM cars over the years and have never had an issue with the replacement.

Bill

I was under the impression that replacing the seat skins was no big deal. That is what they have been telling me since I picked the car up. It wasn't until Tuesday that the General Manager called and told me his concerns. I thought he was calling to tell me that the car was ready. I was totally blindsided by what he said.

badhabit_wb 12-06-2018 01:52 PM

If I were you I'd take the new seat skins and see if the dealer will give you the money for installation. If so do it yourself, or not. If he thinks their installer will make a mess trust him. He knows his installer. It's not a tough job but it takes patience.

Mr. Gizmo 12-06-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by manfrand (Post 1598454337)
Yeah, that's my dilemma. The dealer has the factory seat covers with the embossment. They showed them to me. They basically said that they would probably offer me the cost of the covers plus installation. Probably no more than 2K. It's just so frustrating to me that you spend 90K+ on a car and there's a mistake that nobody seems to want to fix.

i never paid attention to the embossing. I just checked my 2lz and it has it. I can take it or leave it. In the bigger scheme of things it’s not that big a deal. What we got shortchanged on was the puny supercharger that mightily spins and runs hot making for a not as fast as expected for 650 hp car.

glava2876 12-06-2018 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by manfrand (Post 1598453894)
Here's my issue:

I ordered a 2019 Z06 2LZ, Long Beach Red with Jet Black interior in August. I took delivery in late October. When I got home I noticed that the GT seats did not have "Z06" embossed on the headrests as the car should have with a 2LZ interior. I promptly called my salesman and took the car back to the dealership the next day. We went over how the car was ordered and concluded that the car should have come with the seat embossment since it was ordered with a 2LZ interior. They believed that it must have been a mistake at the factory at some point.

A few days later I received a call from the business manager who told me that GM was going to fix the seat issue and that they were just trying to work out how they were going to do it. Sometime later they told me that they were going to order new seat covers with the embossment and have them install on the existing seats. They told me it was not uncommon and that it should be an easy fix.

Fast forward to late November, I dropped the car off to have the covers installed. A week goes by and I get a call from my salesman who puts the general manager on the phone with me. He tells me that he has concerns over sending the car out to have the seat covers installed because every time they have done that the owners have not been happy with the way they have come out (the leather needs time to conform to the seat, creases in the leather, etc.). He asks how important it is to me to which I say extremely since if I go to sell the car someone might knock the price down since it has the wrong seats. He then proceeds to try to explain what happened. He says that when the car was ordered they selected Jet Black and then 2LZ. But for some reason the seat embossment was never checked or was unchecked and that he wasn't sure if the dealer had done that or GM. So the car was built correctly but the problem was when the car was ordered. He said that if the problem was on GM he was going to try to get 2 entirely new seats, but he also said there was only a very slim chance of that. He then said that if the dealer messed up that new seats were too expensive and it was unlikely that they would replace an entire seat.

Here's my dilemma. My gut feeling is that the dealer messed up. All I want is what I ordered and what I paid for. It's sounding like if it was the dealer's mistake, they won't make it right. Even if they offer money back, at the end of the day I'll still have the wrong seats. I was ok with having the seat covers installed but after what the general manager, I'm very apprehensive. I know that if they refuse to make this right I could take them to small claims but I am curious if there are any other options available (BBB, Attorney General). Has anyone else had this problem/issue? I appreciate taking the time to read this and would love any feedback. This is in NY for what it's worth.

This is weird because today I had just noticed a picture of a Z06 interior and it has Z06 embossed in the headrests like you are looking for on yours. I didn't think mine had them and went out in the garage to check and I do not. I also have the 2LZ sport seats and my 2019 is a May 2018 build. I thought that it was possible that they don't do it any more, but I just did the Chevrolet build and price and the description still lists it and it is shown in the interior build. I had a 15 Black Stingray with a black 2LT interior and my Z06 seats are exactly the same -I think that's why it never stood out to me.
So I should be getting in touch with my dealer too??

manfrand 12-06-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by glava2876 (Post 1598455688)
This is weird because today I had just noticed a picture of a Z06 interior and it has Z06 embossed in the headrests like you are looking for on yours. I didn't think mine had them and went out in the garage to check and I do not. I also have the 2LZ sport seats and my 2019 is a May 2018 build. I thought that it was possible that they don't do it any more, but I just did the Chevrolet build and price and the description still lists it and it is shown in the interior build. I had a 15 Black Stingray with a black 2LT interior and my Z06 seats are exactly the same -I think that's why it never stood out to me.
So I should be getting in touch with my dealer too??

You have GT seats and not Competition Seats? The seats should come embossed then. The dealer told me that my car contradicts itself. There is a sticker in the glovebox that says that the car was built without them but the order sheets says it should have them. It's totally frustrating. I would bring it up to the dealer. There's no harm that can come of it.

383vett 12-06-2018 05:49 PM

I have a 3LZ and I couldn't tell you if my seats are embossed or not. I'll have to go out to the garage and check. That's how important it is to me. It sounds like you have a couple of options; Take the 2 grand or take the seat covers and ask for a grand and do it yourself or have someone do it for you. Whatever happens, I think you are dwelling on something really trivial. The future buyer won't even look at the embossing if that is what you are concerned about. Have fun with the car.

Yorgaki1 12-06-2018 06:14 PM

Take the skins and have them cut you a check for what it will cost to have them installed. Store them until you sell the car, and if the new owner notices, have them installed. I had a '09 z06 that somehow the leather skin had gotten scratched by something I was wearing, like a zipper. It bugged the heck out of me every time I got in the car. I wish I would have had a replacement.

23/C8Z 12-06-2018 06:17 PM

Always thought just the nappa leather had the embossment? Which is 3LZ....

I have it. And i also remember looking at other (thought were 2LZ) that did not have it..

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...beed74ccae.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...09f17f265b.jpg

f1reb1rd 12-06-2018 06:18 PM

Interesting question. I myself have a 3lz and my seats are embossed. Its nice to have but even myself its not that big of a deal with me. But it does add a nice touch. Maybe someone with a 2lz can confirm the same with theirs

manfrand 12-06-2018 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd (Post 1598456243)
Interesting question. I myself have a 3lz and my seats are embossed. Its nice to have but even myself its not that big of a deal with me. But it does add a nice touch. Maybe someone with a 2lz can confirm the same with theirs

I 2 have friends with 2LZ Z06's and they both have them. Plus if you build the car on Chevy's website the 2LZ specifically says that it comes with embossed seats. I get that, in the grand scheme of things, it is a small detail. But when you spend close to 100K on a car, you should expect the car to be built correctly and if it isn't for the dealer or manufacturer to make it right.