CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Driving the C7 in the Winter....what's not to like? :) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4219588-driving-the-c7-in-the-winter-whats-not-to-like.html)

$$$frumnuttin' 12-06-2018 11:54 AM

Driving the C7 in the Winter....what's not to like? :)

After putting on the snow tires, wow, simply amazing the reduction in road noise and feel over bumps and cracks....nothing beats 5/16" of soft rubber under foot. Add below freezing temps air and voila, feels like 30 more HP. And to the haters, yes, the car gets dirty if driven in bad weather. But, news for ya, IT cleans up beautifully in the spring...you would never know what it's been through. And, such a joy to be able to combine 'engine braking' with a downshift coming up to a traffic light while others are being over cautious in snow.....great combination; manual trans, high HP, and winter tires.....so much fun!

Steve_R 12-06-2018 11:56 AM

Yup. Drove mine in snow early this week, and in 19 degree temps today. No problems at all. It's filthy, but it's a car, it'll wash off.

VETJAZZ 12-06-2018 10:54 PM

:thumbs::thumbs:

What's snow??

cowboy casey 12-07-2018 06:39 AM

Love the power at 20 degrees, so much fun :)

Curahee 12-07-2018 07:18 AM

It's the "other guy" that scares me

I'm not afraid of driving my Corvette in the snow. But I am afraid of some of the people out there who don't know how to drive in snow.

YO-EL 12-07-2018 07:26 AM

I don't drive in the snow, but with dry, cold air, temps in the 20's - 40's, car feels awesome!
Every 10 degree drop, equates to +10 RWHP & TQ!!!
Michlein AS3+ZP's do the job!

449er 12-07-2018 07:37 AM

What's not to like? How about a filthy dirty salt encrusted Corvette, no thanks see you in March

justplainjim 12-07-2018 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 449er (Post 1598458504)
What's not to like? How about a filthy dirty salt encrusted Corvette, no thanks see you in March

:iagree:

CptCvMan 12-07-2018 06:26 PM

Yeah. Some day someone will invent a car wash so we can drive in the wint......oh, wait.

dvilin 12-07-2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ (Post 1598457774)
:thumbs::thumbs:

What's snow??

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...64e65d38e7.jpg

449er 12-07-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by CptCvMan (Post 1598462135)
Yeah. Some day someone will invent a car wash so we can drive in the wint......oh, wait.

Why not put a plow & a salt spreader on it & make some money this winter

Steve_R 12-07-2018 07:39 PM

It’s a car. It washes off. I know that’s hard to believe.

DALE#3 12-07-2018 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 449er (Post 1598462418)
Why not put a plow

Baby Steps..Spreader next year

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...075b7d2ecf.jpg

fnbrowning 12-07-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1598462501)
It’s a car. It washes off. I know that’s hard to believe.

No, corrosion does not wash off. Yes, road salt accelerates the corrosion of aluminum also. Salty water soaking into the carpet, DOT traction sand & cinders injected into body & frame crevices. . . . NO THANKS!

Here's a thought. . . . some of us aren't as rich as ya'll are, and we can't afford to abuse the ONE sports car we're going to own for years. We scrimped and saved for it, and so we have more respect for something we worked so hard for! I'll abuse the daily beater in dirty slush. Let it get hit by a dumba.. SUV soccer mom sliding on ice.
The beautiful Corvette can wait for nice weather!

Steve_R 12-07-2018 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by fnbrowning (Post 1598462989)
Here's a thought. . . . some of us aren't as rich as ya'll are, and we can't afford to abuse the ONE sports car we're going to own for years. We scrimped and saved for it, and so we have more respect for something we worked so hard for! I'll abuse the daily beater in dirty slush. Let it get hit by a dumba.. SUV soccer mom sliding on ice.

To each their own. :cheers:

Zjoe6 12-07-2018 09:48 PM

Yuk. No froggen way.

devnull 12-07-2018 11:20 PM

No, corrosion does not wash off. Yes, road salt accelerates the corrosion of aluminum also. Salty water soaking into the carpet, DOT traction sand & cinders injected into body & frame crevices. . . . NO THANKS!

I can't afford a second car there Richie Rich!

Just kidding man, I drive mine through weather, but totally get those who don't. :thumbs:

JerriVette 12-07-2018 11:42 PM

Ten years on as a daily driver in the winter...128k miles since new...

put it up on a lift at the dealership and the car looks brand new.

if you dont want to use your corvette in the winter thats fine but honestly ten years on and my c6 z51 manual with 128k miles is beautiful underneath..l

my dealer tech does the service and he does bowling green, carlisle and blomington gold service seminars. You guys may know him on facebook or at tthe seminars as the corvette mechanic...

for those who store your cars in the winter...its important to store your c5 s, c6 s and c7 s with no more than a quarter of a tank of gas...

that leaves the right fuel tank empty and the fuel sensor above the fuel line so the sulfur doesnt corrode the sensor over the period of time you are storing the car.

just a heads up...for those that store your corvette c5,c6 or c7s.

paul put it on facebook yesterday or today in a video..

thecorvettemechanic on facebook..

the gm v8 s love cold air and with snow tires these things rock...

love utilizing the things I own...i find it empowering...and my corvette after ten years still looks mint...body and frame

no worries to those that want to use their cars all year round...

we get about 127 inches a snow each year.

Skid Row Joe 12-08-2018 12:06 AM

Yup. Salt/chem on aluminum. :ack:

Skid Row Joe 12-08-2018 12:09 AM

The chemicals/brine/salt does a corrosive number on anything. It'd look like the car spent Winters in Chicago. :ack: No thanks.

​​​​​​​.