CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Transmission problems (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4219751-transmission-problems.html)

Tat73099 12-06-2018 07:09 PM

Transmission problems

Recently upgraded my automatic transmission in my C7. Mechanic changed the “transmission computer”. Transmission worked great for the first week, but now having issues. Extremely hard to explain, but when coming to a stop, once transmission shifts down to second or third gear, the car will stop itself almost immediately. I then have to put it in park and then back to drive. Obviously this is an issue, but an extreme issue when there is a car behind me.

Update.... the car will no longer drive forward. Once shifted into drive, the car acts like it is stalling out and will not go forward. Luckily this started while I was just down the street from my home and was able to reverse back home. Thoughts?

Vetteman Jack 12-06-2018 07:10 PM

Moved to C7 Tech/Performance.

thrilled 12-09-2018 10:07 AM

Sounds like dealership time.

383vett 12-09-2018 02:50 PM

Obviously you have some real problems. A torque converter that is not unlocking is one of them. Is your mechanic a gm dealer guy or independent?

Internets_Ninja 12-10-2018 12:06 PM

That seems like a mechanical issue inside the transmission. I had a pump go bad inside one of my transmission once and I had those exact issues.

Tat73099 12-10-2018 12:19 PM

Thanks for the responses. My guy is an independent guy. The pump had to be replaced and has a new one in now. Maybe a bad pump?
The car is now back in the shop and he will attempt to figure it out. May end up having to take it to a dealership, but the issue with that is the car has been upgraded in so many ways, to include the transmission.

faninc 01-22-2019 05:24 PM

2019 Grand Sport built 10/18 w A8

Hi,

Are the A8 transmission issues also showing up in 2019 Grand Sports? How about a build as of 10/2018?

thanks.

Higgs Boson 01-22-2019 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by faninc (Post 1598738648)
Hi,

Are the A8 transmission issues also showing up in 2019 Grand Sports? How about a build as of 10/2018?

thanks.

the A8 issues are not specific to a certain model of car, it is a pandemic, all A8s are subject to issues since late 2014 trucks, cars, anything and it always will be, it's a crappy transmission with crappy programming.

Eapcpa 01-23-2019 11:16 AM

statistics please

" the A8 issues are not specific to a certain model of car, it is a pandemic "

Pandemic means pervasive and widespread over the entire fleet in this case. Based on the A8 thread in the general section it appears for the C7 to not be a huge issue and mostly dealt with by changing fluid. Some major mechanical failures but mostly shudder and software issues. Did I miss something? Without data the comment is meaningless.

My interest stems from the fact that I bought my wife a 2019 GS for Christmas

faninc 01-23-2019 06:12 PM

Appears to be limited

Looking at the spreadsheet it does not seem to be a huge list. Also seems like early A8 years make up a lot of the cars listed, only see one 2019. Not sure Pandemic? Also seems Range device could be huge help as eliminates the V4 mode altogether.

Eapcpa 01-23-2019 06:19 PM

Range device

Where can I find information on this range device to keep it out of V4 mode?

faninc 01-23-2019 06:24 PM

see link.

https://rangetechnology.com/

I used on my 2014 C7 flawlessly. They sell for 2019 as well. Only downside is you have to remember to remove at ignition shut off or will drain battery if not using car within 2-3 day intervals. I connected to an adapter that had a built in toggle on/ off switch. That allowed me to leave it plugged in and just turn off the toggle switch when shutting ignition off.

AmmoVet 01-24-2019 12:19 AM

This is no longer a problem, I leave mine in all the time, no issues.

ROBWILKER 01-24-2019 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by faninc (Post 1598745857)
https://rangetechnology.com/

I used on my 2014 C7 flawlessly. They sell for 2019 as well. Only downside is you have to remember to remove at ignition shut off or will drain battery if not using car within 2-3 day intervals. I connected to an adapter that had a built in toggle on/ off switch. That allowed me to leave it plugged in and just turn off the toggle switch when shutting ignition off.

As I understand it, the new models of the Range device have been upgraded for a while and they no longer drain the battery. This has been discussed at length in previous threads. To be certain you purchase the current model with the upgraded software version, make sure you purchase directly from Range Technology not someone who advertises slightly lower price as an authorized seller. Range also fully guarantees the unit and they will upgrade previous units, that were actually sold by them, for no charge. I believe this info is accurate but please contact Range Technology to confirm.

I considered a Range unit for my C7 Z06 A8 that had hard shifts up and down also lurching at stops. My problems were resolved at the dealer, however, after I read TSB calling for TCM reflash for A8's experiencing the described problems.

faninc 01-24-2019 07:22 AM

Range website says to remove if using car sporadically

Hi,

With respect to leaving it in all the time...See the company’s own website under “installation Q&A,” it says to remove the device if not using the car frequently. If it’s your daily driver you are fine. If use car sporadically the device drains the battery over time , so you need to remove it. It will not void your warranty, simply remove device before bringing to dealer for any service. Product does not rewrite any factory ECU settings.

thrilled 09-05-2019 04:45 PM

I hope the auto trans will be better in the C8.If not I will most likely purchase a z06 2019 M7.

KemahGT 09-12-2019 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by thrilled (Post 1600103016)
I hope the auto trans will be better in the C8.If not I will most likely purchase a z06 2019 M7.

Apples and oranges. C8 tranny is not even a distant cousin.

KemahGT 09-12-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eapcpa (Post 1598742722)
Did I miss something? Without data the comment is meaningless.

My interest stems from the fact that I bought my wife a 2019 GS for Christmas

You don’t need data. Just read the bazillion threads on this forum. Then just go over to the biggest Silverado forum and look there. Then try a Cadillac forum. After you’ve looked there, drop into your biggest Chevy dealer and talk to the service department. You’ll find that they do this stuff on Silverados, Tahoes, Suburbans AND Corvettes every week if not every single day. GM has technical bulletins. It’s very real. I promise.

Mike Raines 11-22-2020 09:05 PM

What is the current status for issues on the A8?
I know there are law suits, but what is GM doing to address the problem?

pit-man 11-23-2020 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER (Post 1598747845)
As I understand it, the new models of the Range device have been upgraded for a while and they no longer drain the battery. This has been discussed at length in previous threads. To be certain you purchase the current model with the upgraded software version, make sure you purchase directly from Range Technology not someone who advertises slightly lower price as an authorized seller. Range also fully guarantees the unit and they will upgrade previous units, that were actually sold by them, for no charge. I believe this info is accurate but please contact Range Technology to confirm.

I considered a Range unit for my C7 Z06 A8 that had hard shifts up and down also lurching at stops. My problems were resolved at the dealer, however, after I read TSB calling for TCM reflash for A8's experiencing the described problems.

2019Z here with Range plugged in all the time and my battery stays charged up fine. I drive it once every 7 to 10 days
Pitt